Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanna Find A Patch ???

+19
Oziegal
longfella
MarkVic
farm boy
Yibidavid
bluedog
Ttrash
albo
Digginerup
martinjsto
pilbarachad
Flying kiwi
Rege-PA
NuggieDreamer
Someday
snapper
picknshovel
groundrush
Biggest Kev
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wanna Find A Patch ???  - Page 2 Empty Wanna Find A Patch ???

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jan 2013, 3:36 am

First topic message reminder :

One of the best things in WA is we have sh$t loads of dead trees lyin on the turf.
Most of us westies choose our camp pozzie this way Very Happy
Head out to your chosen spot be it a known patch/scrape or virgin area or an area that youve chosen going on the geo etc, have a swing until ya lob onto ya 1st nuggie, thats it, your onto a gold bearing spot, dont be too keen to move as your already on it and you should be thinkin bout smashin the livin crap outta that spot for at least 2-3 days....
As soon as youve got that 1st bit head back to the truck and call the mates in onya UHF, have a smoko
and take a close look at the 1st nuggie, is it sharp ? smooth ?(not always water worn in WA but gravel worn "ie"Elluvial" and take note of the land surface "ie" slope/flats etc.
Your on gold so the jobs already done, dont think "i'll camp off the gold so no bugger knows" camp right in the heart of the area so no sod moves in and camps within 2klm of yaz.
Next thing is, ? find the nearest dead tree and camp right on that bugger and light it up.
As that tree burns down just move along it each night until its burnt and if ya haven't hit a good run after 2 - 3 days move on, but dont move miles away, judge your move by the lay of the ground.
90% of the runs in WA are 5 - 10 degrees off a nth/west bearing so just get the mate to walk and detect the way as you drive the truck, chances are the old mate will lob on a extension of ya last patch.
Do This whole thing time after time and then do it again and again, it might seem endless and a waist of time but this is how new mega patches are found, sure you can hit scraped areas day after day and you might get 1 - 5 grams a week with a sniffer coil on but is that what prospecting really is ?????
No it aint and i can tell you this, the best thrill is patch finding and that aint finding a known patch but finding a true VIRGIN patch cheers thats when the goose eggs show up...

How does this method start ??
It starts firstly by selecting a known gold bearing area on Geo Maps or by doing selective research on the net via TG and WAMEX drill reports, then you study the lay of the ground "ie" slopes and ancient drifts and post volcanic water courses and dont forget the geo botany of known species that are associated with gold bearing areas in WA, not Vic or any other states, as each state as its own geobotany related AU associated species.
Now you may be thinkin "FFS pete your gettin all mental here mate" Razz and your right i am gettin all mental, but i'm gettin "GOLD MENTAL" cheers Razz
I've hardly even broken the skin on this subject let alone given 1% of whats needed to be taken on board when it comes to huntin out VIRGIN dirt in WA as many good WA blokes will know.
All you other Westies "no names mentioned" cheers but you know who i mean who are dedicated patchers
could maybe build on this topic as i'm sure you could.
I wont drop names but come on fellas kwdf

shite Shocked i nearly forgot hahahaha
HAVE FUN WHILE DOIN IT Wanna Find A Patch ???  - Page 2 3179412840

Albo and LongFella Razz How yaz goin kwdf

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Wanna Find A Patch ???  - Page 2 Empty Re: Wanna Find A Patch ???

Post by martinjsto Sun 20 Jan 2013, 5:46 pm

THANKS PETE, great info for us newbies. kwdf
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggest Kev Sun 20 Jan 2013, 8:15 pm

Thanks for your valued input Pete, keep spilling your knowledge its like reading a good book.

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by Digginerup Sun 20 Jan 2013, 8:36 pm

Yeah! Wink good talk pete, I like your style,thanks for the tips,seems to be some good common sense in there, when you guys are talking scrapes, who does these scrapes?, are they coincidental like firebreaks or roads or are they done with permisssion or what?

Wayne cheers

Digginerup

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Sun 20 Jan 2013, 8:45 pm

Great post & know what you say about the ability of female tectorists . My friend codger has this amazing woman who beats us every time on old patches, & never stops , keeps on till midnight at times , cheers albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:53 pm

albo wrote:Great post & know what you say about the ability of female tectorists . My friend codger has this amazing woman who beats us every time on old patches, & never stops , keeps on till midnight at times , cheers albo.

Too true Albo, they're bloody deadly alright and never give up...

Wayne - the scrapes we talk about in WA are on mainly old worked dry blown leases from the past 30 odd years but it's still a used method, basically the alluvial patches are scraped a foot at a time and detected for the decent Dabs and the rest put thru a blower or if water can be got from an old pit a
wet plant.
You'll notice in the 2 Google pics here how the area has been scraped or pushed with a D9/10 Cool

Wanna Find A Patch ???  - Page 2 P110

Wanna Find A Patch ???  - Page 2 P210

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggest Kev Mon 21 Jan 2013, 6:11 am

Hey pete have you been over these scrapes? Shite I was planning on doing this area. Did you find much yella?

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by Ttrash Mon 21 Jan 2013, 6:40 am

An excellent post Pete , I mean john , No Pete

Feels like your out there

Thanks again

Ant

Ttrash
Ttrash

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Mon 21 Jan 2013, 7:07 am

I Can think of Chapter 3,
But 'Guru' Pete must have blisters on his two fingers by now

Great stuff mate, hope you get back out there soon, I'm tethered by the better halves talon till i get some more nest works completed Sad

ND
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by bluedog Mon 21 Jan 2013, 7:44 am

hey pete very good post . can you tell me if the foot print is small and deep is it a big lady or a big man or a big child Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
lol! bluedog

bluedog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:49 am

See! All those nights hanging out the back of Leo pub with your `lubber` ginny Lyn has paid off in the Tracking dept Pete lol! lol!
Just kidding Bloke..... Wink Razz
Excellent post mate and looking forward to part 3 Cool

Back to top Go down

Wanna Find A Patch ???  - Page 2 Empty Re: Wanna Find A Patch???

Post by Yibidavid Mon 21 Jan 2013, 10:08 am

I just wanna find a 5kg nugget like the chap in Victoria ( Ballarat) so he says? I think Pete's been drinkin plenty of Souped up Gatorade & the caffeine is really kicking in. Jokes aside we are very blessed to have an administrator with soooo much knowledge in this Gold business, I doubt if too many other forums can boast this! Thanks a million, I think ya bloods worth bottling! If I can show my ignorance Fly Kiwi what is a " Windrow" ?? scratch lol!
Yibidavid
Yibidavid

Back to top Go down

Post by farm boy Mon 21 Jan 2013, 10:31 am

Hey awesome post guys. Im just curious crazy pete, what do ya mean when you say certain trees and gold are associated? Do you mean that some trees grow on the greenstone areas so you can recognise those belts. Or have you found certain trees and gold usually together

Cheers
FB

farm boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Mon 21 Jan 2013, 3:21 pm

Yibidavid wrote: If I can show my ignorance Fly Kiwi what is a " Windrow" ?? scratch lol!

no worries mate, depending on what machine has been used to push an area there are normally long narrow piles of dirt that have spilled off the side of the blade. My theory is that when most operators work the pushed area most of the effort is focused on the nice smooth ground between the windrows and not the ground under them
Flying kiwi
Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Wanna Find A Patch ???  - Page 2 Empty Re: Wanna Find A Patch???

Post by Yibidavid Tue 22 Jan 2013, 5:49 am

Thanks for that " Flying Kiwi", sorry about the name spelt wrong. If I can go a little further on this subject ( " windrow" ) I s'pose this is only logical, but depending how high the windrow is, & how much time & energy one has, it would pay to rake the soil down so as to get the coil closer to the earth beneath, therefore improving ones chance of finding those elusive nuggies!? fghghg dave
Yibidavid
Yibidavid

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkVic Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:38 am

Thanks for sharing Pete.
Some very helpful and useful info there.
What is your favourite scrapings coil? I assume its a small one.
Cheers Mark.
MarkVic
MarkVic

Back to top Go down

Post by longfella Tue 22 Jan 2013, 8:24 am

Some great guidance Pete.
Research, sound technique and patience are the name of the game.
Sometimes it may appear that research data bases we use are based on myth but dont give up as their will be some degree of fact in it - you just need to find it and apply it to the ground.
One of our common failings is our degree of enthusiasm to start swinging. Make the time to have a real good look at the area you want to work before you turn on your detector - look at the detail of the landforms and the transitions in elevation, look for the changes in geology and vegetation and then make a start.
The pleasure of finding a patch is far greater than picking up scraps from old workings; but many is the times I have returned to these proven areas after significant rain or when I have newer technology at my disposal, or when I just need to see some colour.
When all else fails you can beg or pray for just one little piece as a show of faith Rolling Eyes

Good hunting
Gary
longfella
longfella

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Tue 22 Jan 2013, 8:28 am

The coil i use on old workings is the 14" n/f. better coverage than the 11" and when you need to scrape the coil looking for those tiny nuggets you dont get any false signals cheers Stu
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Wanna Find A Patch ???  - Page 2 Empty 1st time in years

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:29 am

Firstly, thanks guys for the great replies in the thread, appreciated. Wink cheers
Few posts i need to reply on so i'll do em in order.

Anyways, i just bummed out and got no gold for the 1st time in a few years, was only an over nighter
so that's ok, and it was back to a very old patch me and a fair few mates have literally booted the livin crap outta for years.
Besides i reckon it does ya good now n then to miss out as it makes the usual gold finds even more juicy Razz Razz

Biggest Kev wrote:Hey pete have you been over these scrapes? Shite I was planning on doing this area. Did you find much yella?
Cheers Kev

Sorry for the delay in replying to you Kev, been outta town a few days.
No, i haven't been or detected that spot mate, but i will be ASAP.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:30 am

Ttrash wrote:An excellent post Pete , I mean john , No Pete

Feels like your out there

Thanks again

Ant

Cheers Ant cheers but these days my nickname should be "Piccolo" lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:33 am

bluedog wrote:hey pete very good post . can you tell me if the foot print is small and deep is it a big lady or a big man or a big child Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
lol! bluedog

Cheers BlueDog Wink

Small but deep footprints = That lucky midget who found the 177oz nugget in rain lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:36 am

CrustyGus wrote:See! All those nights hanging out the back of Leo pub with your `lubber` ginny Lyn has paid off in the Tracking dept Pete lol! lol!
Just kidding Bloke..... Wink Razz
Excellent post mate and looking forward to part 3 Cool

Cheers Gus Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:39 am

Yibidavid wrote:Thanks a million, I think ya bloods worth bottling lol!

Might name the next bottle "Old Moose Knuckle" Wanna Find A Patch ???  - Page 2 3179412840 Wanna Find A Patch ???  - Page 2 3179412840 Wanna Find A Patch ???  - Page 2 3179412840 someone whom
i won't mention will get a giggle and know what i'm on about Razz Razz Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:44 am

farm boy wrote:Hey awesome post guys. Im just curious crazy pete, what do ya mean when you say certain trees and gold are associated? Do you mean that some trees grow on the greenstone areas so you can recognise those belts. Or have you found certain trees and gold usually together

Cheers
FB

Cheers FB cheers
I think the term given to it is "Geo-Botanics" scratch
And yeah, basically it is a study of what plant species prefer to grow around certain mineral types.
Over here we have the "Corkwood tree" for one, Vic has the Ironbarks etc and so it goes on, i'll try find a list for all states and post it up in a separate thread if i can.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:51 am

MarkVic wrote:Thanks for sharing Pete.
Some very helpful and useful info there.
What is your favourite scrapings coil? I assume its a small one.
Cheers Mark.

Your very welcome Mark Cool
Prior to the 5k coming out my favorite scrapings coil was the CT 10x5 Mono, very sweet coil them.
But now with the 5k i run the 11" ML mono, that combo is more sens, covers more ground and goes
deeper than using the CT 10x5 Mono over here.
I came to that choice from goin back over my own floggings with the 11"ML Mono and the gold that the 10x5 missed was a real eye opener, big and tiny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:54 am

longfella wrote:Some great guidance Pete.
Research, sound technique and patience are the name of the game.
Sometimes it may appear that research data bases we use are based on myth but dont give up as their will be some degree of fact in it - you just need to find it and apply it to the ground.
One of our common failings is our degree of enthusiasm to start swinging. Make the time to have a real good look at the area you want to work before you turn on your detector - look at the detail of the landforms and the transitions in elevation, look for the changes in geology and vegetation and then make a start.
The pleasure of finding a patch is far greater than picking up scraps from old workings; but many is the times I have returned to these proven areas after significant rain or when I have newer technology at my disposal, or when I just need to see some colour.
When all else fails you can beg or pray for just one little piece as a show of faith Rolling Eyes

Good hunting
Gary

Cheers Gary Wink

Done a lot of praying Monday night and Tues Morning but "My god hath forsaken me" Wanna Find A Patch ???  - Page 2 729094268 Wanna Find A Patch ???  - Page 2 3179412840
Always the next time, i never get fazed when i miss out, it just makes me work harder next time out Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum