Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

target volume settings

+4
sorefeet
madmax800
Flying kiwi
Bignuggs
8 posters

Go down

target volume settings Empty target volume settings

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2012, 6:28 pm

using my 4500 I have my target volume set at 17-19 yet I see others have theirs set down as low as 7.

I would have thought that everyone would like to hear the target as loud as possible.

have i missed something here?

regards

oneday69

Back to top Go down

target volume settings Empty Re: target volume settings

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2012, 6:57 pm

17-19 is the highest Ive ever heard of anyone using, if you are using a speaker i would
be looking at the ohmage of that speaker, its better to be runnin an 8ohm speaker and of
at least 5 watts also to get good volume without excessively high volume settings.

Then again it could be your headphones are crap and not at least Koss UR30's or the actual audio in your 45k needs work.

Or your goin deaf Razz but ifya can hear a womans screamin count that out Razz

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2012, 7:07 pm

I agree Oneday69, I have my target volume set flat out....I reckon it is targets I wanna hear so lets hear them....the response through head phones or speaker does not have to be flat out with target volume high, I compensate with the volume limit so volume is down and targets are strong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 23 May 2012, 7:09 pm

It's a sad fact of life that as ya get older you lose hearing. It's even worse if you have been around loud industrial noise all ya working life without using ear plugs.
Do you get ringing in ya ears or even something that sounds like a high pitched squeal ? Can you hear what people are saying in a noisy room full of people ?
Not being rude, but get ya hearing checked. You might get a surprise you don't like.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2012, 7:14 pm

had my hearing checked and all is good.

I run an external speaker with the volume at factory settin.

The machine was just purring--mind u I had a sadie coil on this time.

manual tune set around 90-125 depending on emi

regards

oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2012, 7:15 pm

I don't see where in the first post volume problem was mentioned, a simple question was asked, nothing about 'volume', I will let oneday answer that....for the record I have had recent hearing tests, they say excellent to perfect for this kid.
I think that the wording 'volume' confuses people, I have played with these settings and found that a high 'target volume' gives a much clearer or better response on a target, turning the 'volume limit' down quietens the signals, but high 'target volume' makes them little buggers stand out.
Thats what I do anyway with no harm to hearing....keep doin what ya doin....ya might leave some behind for me. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 23 May 2012, 7:34 pm

Not being personally familiar with a 4500 or 5000, I assumed it was audio volume but it appears there are 2 settings if I have read this right.
My sincere apologies for suggesting you might be deaf old bastards :rolf:
Nice to see you have had your hearing checked tho Very Happy
I'll dig a hole now Razz l;wfh after some of this lweg

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2012, 7:35 pm

mate I'm over diggin these little specs--Dont mind takin folks out there who havent found anything just to get them blooded..Twisted Evil

seriously thinkin of goin back to a 2200 or at least puttin back the 18" nf as that seems to run over fly shit.

But in all fairness those settings seem to be workin. As we say--everyone to there own--lol!

I've got a little patch out in the bush and will take 6 coils out there and give em the twice over on targets to see how we go.

regards

oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Thu 24 May 2012, 6:47 am

goldstalkergpx wrote:

I agree Oneday69, I have my target volume set flat out....I reckon it is targets I wanna hear so lets hear them....the response through head phones or speaker does not have to be flat out with target volume high, I compensate with the volume limit so volume is down and targets are strong.

bud i do the same target vol at 19 with vol limit down, just always done that as what JP says in seta project. wakes you up when ya swing over somthin which is a good thing Cool

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 6:55 am

Flying kiwi wrote:
goldstalkergpx wrote:

bud i do the same target vol at 19 with vol limit down, just always done that as what JP says in seta project. wakes you up when ya swing over somthin which is a good thing Cool

Ditto that fellas.
Had my hearing checked a month ago. Perfect for an old fart. Very little high frequency loss.

I have the volume limit well down as I now use earphones.

Seriously, get your hearing checked NOW!

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 May 2012, 4:40 pm

Went for a detect today with a mate and it was interesting to see this situation with his 5k, he had a target and thought it should be better, we adjusted some settings to gain the best results with it, it was a little better, last of all we adjusted the target volume to 20 and man ya knew that little piece of gold was there.....full target volume "confirmed" again :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2012, 6:15 pm

A few more tests on the weekend and the target volumn was tweeked right up to 19-20 then adjusted the volumn control down to 8-10.

this seems to be workin for us in the northwest--

manual tune (MT)is a better way to go also--around 85-110 and when the EMI starts warbling its crazy head just tweek up the right hand knob about 10 frequencies.

Have found that if people Auto tune (AT) up here in the Pilbara the machine will automatically take u up into the 190 and above range--whether ita a 45 or a 5k they both seem to do just that--6 machines tested and exactly the same...up they went on auto tune.

From experience I have found that u will go over flyshit at such high levels...and my sugestion to those around is to MT rather than AT.

Comments from others in different parts of the country on there experiences are most welcome in this debate...

regards

oneday69

Last edited by oneday69 on Mon 28 May 2012, 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2012, 7:09 pm

Interesting Ray, I have heard of such things before.

Another thing that amazed me the other day was how close the 45 and 5k could work together, probably got to around less than 15 meters apart, I have never operated so close to someone without machines being upset.
Also while heading back to the car detecting along the way, I knew power lines were comming up...almost back to the car and thought where are those power lines? went under them 100 meters back and the 45 didn't give a waver? has anyone encounted that before? Usually I can't get near them without going to the AI coil on.

Back to top Go down

Post by madmax800 Mon 28 May 2012, 7:17 pm

Adrian, you have to turn on your machine when walking under power lines if you want to here it carry on with the warbles.

lol!
madmax800
madmax800

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2012, 7:18 pm

It seems we have quiet a variation in thoughts and techniques in this thread, and thats what i would expect.
We all have our own specific sets of settings that we swear by and do well with, as well as our own very different
ground types and mineralization, wind,ground moisture, heat, EMI etc, and these variable elements can and do
change daily and even hourly.
This is part of what makes it so hard to recommend a group of settings for a certain detector/coil combo
for any given area, even tho they may have worked good the last time they were used in that area,
there is always a better setting on any given day,since the last time we switched on in that area.

And thats why when people say to me that "so & so area is flogged to death", and "dont waste ya time there" Suspect
i take it with a pinch of salt, as no alluvial area is ever truly worked out until ALL alluvium is removed and
the true bedrock is swept as clean as a new pin, "Chinese style"....

Crank it up and reap the yields.

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2012, 7:18 pm

Spot on Pete...My belief on 'flogged' goldfields is....no goldfield is flogged until one can walk in with a detector and get not one single target, if there are targets, there will be gold Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

target volume settings Empty Target Volume & EMI

Post by sorefeet Mon 28 May 2012, 8:05 pm

Hi Oneday

I have found that target volumes in excess of 8 really bring in the EMI which then needs to be subdued by other means.

Regards
Sore Feet

sorefeet

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Mon 28 May 2012, 11:15 pm

Iv always said.TV flat out...let the detector here everything it can and you decide via the booster volume control how much to tame it...yet you will cop a little feed back or oscillation should your speaker come into the coil field.

MT vs AT...interesting topic as always.
I use the AT...it can decide faster and more accurately the quieter area to operate....you being only a human..can and many do..decide otherwise. However when you decide your hearing / perception is far better than that of the detectors...spare a minute for those who spend the $$$ on the R&D to bring the function to you. Razz if you can outsmart this function...than ML wasted valuable R&D hey wot....or perhaps its a gimmick?? Laughing Laughing

If you as a mere human can outsmart this feature...please let ML know so its edited from any further models from taking up valuable real-state, where a more useful feature maybe implemented that actually does something worth while. Laughing Laughing

Iv been fiddling with this since the 3k...right up to today, iv not seen or whiteness't this so called sweat spot come freq shift dismiss a nugget/target from being detected no matter the number.???? old wives tale if you ask me.....however...im all for being reeducated should you want to show me where im going wrong.??
The shift is miniscule from what i know, and if the detector can dismiss a nugget/target from one number to the next.....how useless would that be.??? affraid
Give it a much bigger shift and yes...id believe ya!!...but than you would run into Pandora's box.?

As for it deciding if the chosen freq/channel is the best for my chosen time and place re EMI......as above. :rolf:

How yas going by the way.?? :rolf: :rolf:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 May 2012, 4:34 am

GoldstalkerGPX

Yeah, I've found that too with me-5000-and wifey-4000. As close a 10 metres sometimes.

This AT vs MT stuff.

Some say... 80-120 for big, deep nuggets and 190-220 for littlies. Hmmmm...OoooKkkk.

Like Narrawa, I've tried all sorts of fiddles since the 4000 and NEVER found the G-spot.
Maybe I'm too dumb or just keep missing it but I reckon Bruce Candy is a tad smarter than me so I'll let the detector do it's thing and trust his judgement.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by koeh Tue 29 May 2012, 8:27 am

I aint no techno guru but with the manual and auto tune are you not just changing the receiving channel not the transmit channel to reduce emi, so i cant really see how a lower or higher number can make certain size bits of gold stand out more than others with different receiving channels when the transmitting frequency is still the same.

If the detectors are tuned right you can be very close to each other, I found this out a couple of years ago when a mate and myself both had GP extremes, I could have sneezed on him we were that close.

From memory my target volume is set at 11 and volume limit is set at 3, but I have changed it to 4 (volume limit) when I have found a patch and cleared out all the junk otherwise with it at 4 my eardrums cave in when you hit a piece of rubbish.(using headphones)

cheers

koeh

koeh

Back to top Go down

Post by Someday Tue 29 May 2012, 4:29 pm

Gave the target volume a bash Suspect made techtu so unstable, the only way I could sooth the way out warbles was to reduce the stab below 6! which to me seems the wrong way?? I've reduced me test bit of gold down to .01 of a gram, with these settings, the only way I could get a signal was with the soil timings in normal, The ground I'm worken don't like normal one bit. Fine gold setting with high tv forget it!

Well thats what I found!!

Cheers
Chris.
Someday
Someday

Back to top Go down

Post by Boulder Sat 02 Jun 2012, 11:53 am

Someday wrote: I've reduced me test bit of gold down to .01 of a gram, with these settings, the only way I could get a signal was with the soil timings in normal, The ground I'm worken don't like normal one bit. Fine gold setting with high tv forget it!.

Chris ,

Just found my tiniest piece ever at 0.05gram using an 8" mono on 5000 in Fine Gold which is darn tiny so using a 0.01gram as a test bit I can't imagine as to me that is test bit for Panning Gold.

Boulder

Boulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jun 2012, 2:35 pm

Pointless goin for such a tiny test piece Chris, as you actually do need to bury that tester
at least 4" to get some mineral between the coil and the tester otherwise its
just an air test which means fark all in reality.
Go for a flat 0.3 that way you can test with it laying flat or side on for a smaller target piece.

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Someday Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:06 pm

me side cutters chose the size of me little gold bit, but that's what it weighs, I keep the little one in a zip locky coin holding bag thingy in me wallet!

When evu I think techtu an't playen ball, I'l flip out me little zip lock! 7 times outu 10 the signal's gone????? Gotu hit the pick wilst holding down the BG button to throw it all out the window, so I can do a propu GB, then the signal on me small bit is back ?? wtf

l;wfh lweg wtf lweg l;wfh wtf lweg :eureka:
Someday
Someday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Jul 2012, 5:18 am

Guest wrote:A few more tests on the weekend and the target volumn was tweeked right up to 19-20 then adjusted the volumn control down to 8-10.

this seems to be workin for us in the northwest--

manual tune (MT)is a better way to go also--around 85-110 and when the EMI starts warbling its crazy head just tweek up the right hand knob about 10 frequencies.

Have found that if people Auto tune (AT) up here in the Pilbara the machine will automatically take u up into the 190 and above range--whether ita a 45 or a 5k they both seem to do just that--6 machines tested and exactly the same...up they went on auto tune.

From experience I have found that u will go over flyshit at such high levels...and my sugestion to those around is to MT rather than AT.

Comments from others in different parts of the country on there experiences are most welcome in this debate...

regards

oneday69

i got my 5k between 60-110.......i never change it.....i never need to.....i have m yown way of dealing with emi.......hi-mineral wont fix it......enhanced wont fix it........on the 5k the audio volume is more than an audio volume....this control is the singhle most important control on the machine....this is a secret.......even turning the rx gain or the stabilizer right up or down will have minimal effect compared to this feature........all our tests show this feature increases depth...beyond a doubt.......also....it hears all the .2's on boost.....hahahahahahah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down