Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with gold map symbol - what it mean

+2
Bignuggs
farm boy
6 posters

Go down

Help with gold map symbol - what it mean Empty Help with gold map symbol - what it mean

Post by farm boy Mon 05 Sep 2016, 1:18 pm

Hi Guys

I am trying to figure out what a symbol on an old map might mean.

Best way I can describe it is like a hammer head shark! It is a leaning t with another very solid bar across the top (like the head of a hammer head shark!)

Different than the usual X you might encounter for gold mines etc.

I am assuming its gold related........there are X mines nearby

Any help appreciated.
Cheers FB

farm boy

Back to top Go down

Help with gold map symbol - what it mean Empty Re: Help with gold map symbol - what it mean

Post by Bignuggs Mon 05 Sep 2016, 1:25 pm

Are you able to put up a screen shot of the map that shows the symbol ?

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Help with gold map symbol - what it mean Empty Re: Help with gold map symbol - what it mean

Post by farm boy Mon 05 Sep 2016, 1:47 pm

hi bignuggs

I have a screen shot as a jpg file. How would I upload it?

Cheers FB

farm boy

Back to top Go down

Post by farm boy Mon 05 Sep 2016, 4:13 pm

Ok big nuggs I have tried to upload

FBHelp with gold map symbol - what it mean Symbol12

farm boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Mon 05 Sep 2016, 5:01 pm

FB,
Most likely symbol for gravel pit?

Help with gold map symbol - what it mean Signature2

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by 73Steve Mon 05 Sep 2016, 5:15 pm

On Tenegraph it is the symbol for a deposit, gold or other. Might be the same perhaps? More info perhaps might help

Regards Steve

73Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by farm boy Mon 05 Sep 2016, 7:31 pm

Hey thanks guys

Cant really add anymore steve other than its close to a heap of gold mines with no other mineral mines around.

I couldn't notice a gravel type pit on google earth where the symbol was...all pretty uncleared bush

I had assumed it was a type of gold mine expression but perhaps not.....like alluvial or dryblow or something. ..

Steve im curious how did you view symbol legend on tengraph

Cheers fb

farm boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Mon 05 Sep 2016, 9:49 pm

Hi Farm Boy - it means it is a 'prospect' not a proven deposit like a mine.

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by 73Steve Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:50 am

Hi Farm Boy,
When you click on a area or icon on tenegraph it brings up a explanatory box, sometimes you have to click on the next box to scroll through to the item you wish to look at. As stingray says it is also used for a prospect, which can be in the form of a drill hole, outcrop or known occurrence. A mine would be signified by a crossed shovel and pickaxe. Feel free to PM me if you need help with your research.

Cheers Steve

73Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 06 Sep 2016, 7:03 am

This will help with Tengraph symbols but not sure about other maps.

Help with gold map symbol - what it mean Tengra10

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 73Steve Tue 06 Sep 2016, 7:33 am

Thanks Bignuggs,

I am new here and haven't learnt the upload stuff yet. Although helpful, the legend doesn't show that the symbol discussed is also used for prospective drill holes, outcrops, shallow workings and occurrences. But its helpful.

Cheers Steve

73Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:16 pm

If it's not telling the full story, maybe contact DMP and ask them to add more info.  It's in their Tengraph Legend document which appears not to have been updated since 2014.
The PDF is attached.
Attachments
Help with gold map symbol - what it mean Attachment
Tengraph_Legend.pdf You don't have permission to download attachments.(578 Kb) Downloaded 14 times

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by farm boy Tue 06 Sep 2016, 7:24 pm

Thanks for your help guys some great info. Guess i will just go check it out with the tecta!

Cheers fb

farm boy

Back to top Go down

Post by 73Steve Wed 07 Sep 2016, 12:50 pm

Good luck Farm Boy!

73Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Mon 12 Sep 2016, 9:26 am

Hey farmboy the pick with a shovel indicates an alluvial prospect & 2 picks crossed indicates a hard rock prospect but with the latter dont discard the chances of finding nugs either, still gold country, in for your chop mate . See ya.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down