Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forums

+12
Bignuggs
toad
Flouro
Stingray
aussie18
goldstrijk
Boulder
matelot
martinjsto
NuggieDreamer
Banjo
Nightjar
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Forums Empty Forums

Post by Banjo Sat 21 Feb 2015, 6:35 am

Forums are great for connecting with like minded people, sharing idea's, have a bit of fun but most of all making new friends, when i decided to try and learn the banjo i joined a US banjo site and since i had a redundancy coming up i thought i might head over to experience it first hand.
I decided to put a post up asking if anyone could put me up, one of the mods from Tennessee soon replied saying i would be most welcome to stay with him in Jackson, another very well known instrument designer in San Francisco also said to come on over, another guy from North Carolina offered me a place to stay as well.
So off i went on my big banjo trip and because of the forum i met so many great people, got to see the parts of the US i visited more intimately due to staying with people with local knowledge and the best part of all made life long friends.

I have too many hobbies so tend to be drawn to all the different forums, some i really enjoy like this one, others i don't like because of the way they are run or i just don't get on with some of the members because lets face it we are all different and have different values and views on life but at the end of the day some of that stuff just needs to be put aside because the forum is about detecting, banjo's, rotary mazda's, photography etc etc etc and discussing/sharing experiences/info is the reason why we are there in the first place.

Forums can be very time consuming, especially if, like me you visit a number of them, one thing i have learnt over the years though forums obviously can't operate and grow without members so it's a delicate path the Admin/Mods have to tread, they generally need to take a back seat and be impartial otherwise there is always the risk they will alienate members and they leave or some are even banned, yes others will come and fill their spots and seemingly life goes on but over the years on various forums iv'e seen some very knowledgeable members disappear into thin air along with all their experience which in my opinion weakens the forum considerably.

Now let's talk about Facebook and how time consuming and bitchy that can be Laughing

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Forums Empty Re: Forums

Post by Nightjar Sat 21 Feb 2015, 6:45 am

Well thought out Banjo, "plucking" great experience.
What about a rendition on here of "Deliverance"?

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Sat 21 Feb 2015, 7:14 am

Nightjar wrote:Well thought out Banjo, "plucking" great experience.
What about a rendition on here of "Deliverance"?

geez, not you too Nightjar Shocked

My old man reminds me EVERYTIME i ring him along with everything else he told me the last time i called him Laughing to get up to speed on Dueling Banjo's coz he reckons he wants me to play that as they are lowering him into the ground wtf

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Sat 21 Feb 2015, 8:40 am

Tick a Ting Ting Ting..............
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sat 21 Feb 2015, 9:21 am

good post banjo, i too am a member of many forums and enjoy the sharing of experience. many guests visit our forum and decide to stay and become a member due to the friendly atmosphere here and the vast knowledge base and experience that is eagerly shared by many. it is a sad fact of life that some have passed on and their experience goes with them and unless you are lucky enough to meet up with them and learn from their wealth of knowledge it is gone forever along with their spots. i feel it is a shame that this whittles away at the very reason we are all here and as they slowly disappear so too the quality of info available to the forum members is lost with them. most members here that has years of experience are happy to share their knowledge, but not necessarily their patches, and fair enough too and it is detrimental to us all  when they leave or get banned. very few actually do get banned and most for very good reasons although i feel sometimes personal issues get in the way of sound decisions. a fellow was recently banned who fits this category and i feel it has p*ssed a few members off that are sitting in the background watching considering all his posts were respectful and knowledgeable and they may also leave the forum in support adding to the brain drain. Any personal one on one "debates" between members should be by PM and not hang the laundry out for all to read.  without consultation in the matter of who is getting banned and for what reason i am limited to just being a bystander and feel that my opinion is worthless to the powers above. so i will be resigning from being a monitor and just be a member from now on. lot easier ill tell ya.
cheers
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot Sat 21 Feb 2015, 9:27 am

Not you too Martin? I ask again ,what has happened? Pm me if you don't want to go public.

Matelot pirat

matelot

Back to top Go down

Post by Boulder Sat 21 Feb 2015, 9:34 am

Great avatar name of yours Banjo.

Back in those early days i did not have access to the internet and forums so got all my info by subscribing to a Magazine called "International Banjo" which  had a wealth of knowledge on both old and new banjo players, including songs etc, banjo models and accessories. When I finally found the internet I only now follow one American website "Banjo Hangout". However these days Goldfever, Detecting and following the gold forums take up most of my time so having a jam session with myself in the bedroom is now on a rare occasion.

I have a 1984 "Earl Scruggs model" Gibson banjo having bought it new in 1985 from the USA.

Banjo what type ( 4 string or 5 string) do you play and what brand if, you do not mind me asking ?

Boulder.

Last edited by Boulder on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boulder

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Sat 21 Feb 2015, 9:37 am

[quote=i am limited to just being a bystander and feel that my opinion is worthless to the powers above. so i will be resigning from being a monitor and just be a member from now on. lot easier ill tell ya.
cheers[/quote]

Real shame you see it that way mate, but hey now you can relax and get cheeky like the rest of us. eafgh
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Sat 21 Feb 2015, 9:41 am

NuggieDreamer wrote:Tick a Ting Ting Ting..............

No fun! Come on boys...
Someone was supposed to reply with

Tick a Ting Ting Ting Ting Ting Ting Ting.......... lol!
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by goldstrijk Sat 21 Feb 2015, 9:45 am

Bl;;;dy shame Martin, always enjoyed your input as a moderator
At least you are staying as a member mate
Like Nuggie says you can be a bit cheekier now Razz

goldstrijk

Back to top Go down

Post by aussie18 Sat 21 Feb 2015, 9:55 am

not the 1st time this has happened ahhhh memories lol!
thank ray and martin, hope both stick around as members.
DWAG recovered after the last management and mod disturbance and will do so again I'm sure.
to add my cheeky bit, the member in question has been banned numerous times, when there is a personnel conflict going on between themselves and a manager off this forum which they have had previous differences off opinion a little restraint goes a long way. although a very knowledgeable fella and helpful in many ways if he wishes to continually get under the managements skin with his personal jibs well he knew what was coming. and only one off them has the power to delete there account.
sorry just my opinion
jase
aussie18
aussie18

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Sat 21 Feb 2015, 10:03 am

Sorry Nuggie Laughing

Hi Boulder, good to hear from you, i am also a closet picker which is the slow and hard way to learn and also a member of the Banjohangout, good move on upgrading to the Gibson, a lot more enjoyable and easier to play when you have a nice instrument. Sounds like you may of regretted selling the Earl model.

I have a re-issue Goldstar Gf-85, i picked that up on my trip when i stayed with Greg Rich in San Francisco when he worked for Saga, he moved onto The Musiclink whilst i was there and i helped him move all his crap in his office, part of the deal was to re-introduce the Recording King and Loar products, he had acquired the trademarks on both lines when he worked for Gibson.
I was fortunate enough to meet and become friends with Jim Burlile and had him put one of his tone rings into the Goldstar.
When i have some spare money and the exchange rate goes back up i plan to get Arthur Hatfield convert a 1920's TB and possibly use the Burlile ring in that.

Sorry to hear you have pulled the pin as well Martin, you have done a great job around here.

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sat 21 Feb 2015, 10:11 am

[quote="
to add my cheeky bit, the member in question has been banned  numerous times, when there is a personnel conflict going on  between themselves and a manager off this forum which they have had previous differences off opinion a little restraint goes a long way. although a very knowledgeable fella and helpful in many ways if he wishes to continually get under the managements skin with his personal jibs well he knew what was coming. and only one off them has the power to delete there account.
sorry just my opinion
jase[/quote]

he left from his own accord the last times and was not banned Jase. this is his first banning. i have read all his posts and he has not been disrespectful or baited anyone, quite the opposite in fact. this banning was purely from a personal issue that should of been kept private and not affected the forum and both Ray and myself have expressed our opinion on that.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Sat 21 Feb 2015, 10:20 am

martinjsto wrote:[quote="
to add my cheeky bit, the member in question has been banned  numerous times, when there is a personnel conflict going on  between themselves and a manager off this forum which they have had previous differences off opinion a little restraint goes a long way. although a very knowledgeable fella and helpful in many ways if he wishes to continually get under the managements skin with his personal jibs well he knew what was coming. and only one off them has the power to delete there account.
sorry just my opinion
jase

he left from his own accord the last times and was not banned Jase. this is his first banning. i have read all his posts and he has not been disrespectful or baited anyone, quite the opposite in fact. this banning was purely from a personal issue that should of been kept private and not affected the forum and both Ray and myself have expressed our opinion on that. [/quote]

Well said Martin, the forum as whole is a lot worse off today not just because of Wedgetail being banned but also the fall out since with Ray and yourself and to be honest i don't add much around here but i won't be posting too much from now on which might come as a relief for some cheers

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by aussie18 Sat 21 Feb 2015, 10:47 am

I apologise had assumed [cat] had been banned previously as there had been a few occasions when shite was going on and went missing for long periods.
so sorry for my miss information
cheers
jase
aussie18
aussie18

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sat 21 Feb 2015, 11:29 am

ok Cliff mistakenly banned the wrong person as the general did try to register last night. its a shame mistakes like this can result in nasty fallout so it is advised that everyone think b4 posting or acting, just take some time out to re read what you are saying or what your doing. i didnt stop to think when i put unleaded in the diesel car and it cost me heaps. lesson learned. this dosnt change my position though and I still will resign from moderator.
cheers
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Sat 21 Feb 2015, 12:03 pm

Martin, thanks for the job you have done, it is very much appreciated. I know it takes a lot of time and dedication and I have and still do think highly of how you go about putting your point of view across - in a very friendly, considerate and respectible manner.

I am looking forward to listening to your gold exploits, and life in Northampton - seems like I might be forced into doing the same in Dongara, albeit a little earlier than I'd planned!

Thanks again
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Sat 21 Feb 2015, 12:59 pm

Hi Martin,

All the best Martin, this will give you more time for yourself and family,I'm of the view if you draw a line in the sand you have to live by it, It's just that some people would rather put up big walls instead

I've heard there is a large wild pig population out your way

Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sat 21 Feb 2015, 3:01 pm

gees i just realized ive hijacked your thread about the Banjo, banjo. so sorry mate.
thanks goldstrijk stingray and Ron. i appreciate your kind words kwdf . im staying on as moderator for a while anyway see how things work out. hopefully all will be back to normal by monday as Ive given them both the weekend off to cool down and relax. Very Happy

now back on subject...
those folks from the US banjo site seem to be nice people banjo, good of them to offer a place for you to stay. my mate and my son both play the Banjo, we only have a cheap on i dont even know the name of. my son plays lead guitar in a band at pubs around WA but sometimes will pick up the Banjo and lets rip. they certainly do have a unique sound.

OH,
"make him squeal like a pig par!"
yeeehaaaaa lol!

yes there are some nice wild pigs around Northampton Ron that I am keen to get into, i want to take one out using my compound bow but the old dog just isnt up to it anymore, may just have to stake out the waterholes early morning. when I did some hunting down south I use to follow the creek lines looking for their mud wallows and sit and wait. never could get a kill shot off but got close a few times but didnt bag one. seen some beauties out there of 120kg plus. affraid

martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sat 21 Feb 2015, 3:54 pm

Martin,
Do a bit of research in the Swamps area (Yarders Gulley) runs a long distance maybe links up with the Hutt River, when I was a kid my father and neighbours used to trap hundreds of ferals along here.

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Sat 21 Feb 2015, 5:08 pm

Hi All,

When I was a nipper my dad was big bore riffle shooter, 303's I think it would have been back then but for mourning tea on the day of a shoot with an interclub meeting at Northhampton RC they would dish out this amazing pea and ham soup and on a frosty mourn went down very well(local wild pig to boot)

I didn't hear the banjo's playin though

Ron

PS: Didn't he grab him by the ear and said squeal like a pig or i'll shoot your buddy with my crossbow

Last edited by Flouro on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : banjo's were a playin)

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sat 21 Feb 2015, 5:35 pm

gees ron i wouldnt remember when i saw the movie never mind the quotes, Very Happy
i used a 30/30 long barrel leaver action rifle down collie way and love that gun, 7.62mm but only really good for short range which is perfect for pigs in the scrub, I would love to buy on so I will investigate the shooting clubs once Im there. thanks for the heads up on the pigs guys.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Sat 21 Feb 2015, 6:23 pm

martinjsto wrote:gees i just realized ive hijacked your thread about the Banjo, banjo. so sorry mate.
thanks goldstrijk stingray and Ron. i appreciate your kind words kwdf   . im staying on as moderator for a while anyway see how things work out. hopefully all will be back to normal by monday as Ive given them both the weekend off to cool down and relax. Very Happy

now back on subject...
those folks from the US banjo site seem to be nice people banjo, good of them to offer a place for you to stay.  my mate and my son both play the Banjo, we only have a cheap on i dont even know the name of. my son plays lead guitar in a band at pubs around WA  but sometimes will pick up the Banjo and lets rip. they certainly do have a unique sound.

OH,
"make him squeal like a pig par!"
yeeehaaaaa  lol!

yes there are some nice wild pigs around Northampton Ron that I am keen to get into, i want to take one out using my compound bow but the old dog just isnt up to it anymore, may just have to stake out the waterholes early morning. when I did some hunting down south I use to follow the creek lines looking for their mud wallows and sit and wait. never could get a kill shot off but got close a few times but didnt bag one. seen some beauties out there of 120kg plus.  affraid

Knock yourself out Martin and others, i don't care if we are off topic, that's what i like about this place, we are never on topic and happy doing it Laughing

But yes they were exceptional people, i stayed with Greg in SF for two weeks and met one of his friends Randy on a trip to the NAAM show at Anaheim, a true older gentleman, who was 82 and lived in Costa Mesa, Orange County, stayed with him for a few weeks and flew out to Nashville and took a Greyhound bus down to Jackson, stayed two weeks with Ronnie and put an update for anyone in Nashville that could put me up, another forum member Harry put his hand up and said he couldn't offer accommodation but showed me around Nashville for 3 days and in those 3 days i met an ex pat Aussie by the name of Cameron in a music store after he noticed my St Kilda AFL jacket, he offered me accommodation for 3 days outside of Knoxville so Randy got on the phone to a friend in Knoxville and organised a stay.
Stayed with Harry the last night, i guess after he worked out he could trust me etc and we got on well, he drove me to Knoxville Shocked and dropped me off at a eatery where we had lunch with Cameron, went and stayed on his in laws dairy farm, he told his wife he knew me from Australia because there would of been no way he could of brought a stranger home, Cameron dropped me off in a carpark where i met Larry, stayed with Larry for a week and he showed me around the Smokey Mountains and we drove around everywhere checking stuff out, caught a Greyhound back to Nashville and then flew back to Orange County and stayed another 2 weeks with Randy, then flew back to SF and stayed with Greg for another two weeks and then home.

I was supposed to get out to North Carolina but that guy had since got back together with his wife, all absolute first class people and i couldn't believe their generosity, i was so lucky, my only regret, i have not made the effort to get back to see Randy who is now 92.

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Sat 21 Feb 2015, 7:12 pm

Haven't got much to add to this topics except, I'm not a redneck, at least I don't think I am. I love good banjo music and really appreciate the skill particularly just random duo jammimg, but I don't like country music as a whole. Australian country (about Australia) yes. Dueling banjos is a favourite.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Sun 22 Feb 2015, 10:04 am

toad wrote:Haven't got much to add to this topics except, I'm not a redneck, at least I don't think I am.  I love good banjo music and really appreciate the skill particularly just random duo jammimg, but I don't like country music as a whole.  Australian country (about Australia) yes.  Dueling banjos is a favourite.

Toad, i'm the same, not a country fan and when i started to research all things banjo Bluegrass started popping up everywhere, i listened to it and quickly realized it was what i had known as mountain music affraid , but i loved the sound of the banjo, to me it's a happy sound and you only have to listen to ad's on tv and how many have a banjo in there somewhere.
Dueling Banjo's from Deliverance is a fav tune, the actual part where it's played in the movie is one of the best scenes and captured perfectly, the old man clogging in the dust next to the pump is gold, i got to visit some jam's in Tennessee and these people live and breathe Bluegrass from a young age and yes the good ole boy's turn up in their best bib n brace overalls and it's nothing unusual to see some clogging going on especially on my visit to the Rocky Branch Community Hall, it was a great experience to see first hand.

So back to learning i faced a dilemma, i didn't particulary like Bluegrass but to get the basics down on the banjo it is a must especially if i wanted to learn Scruggs style, Earl recently passed away but he was The Man when it came to playing the 5 string and developed the 3 finger picking style when he was around 10 from memory.
Playing music is huge over there, whole families turn up and they all play one or many instruments, especially the kids who one minute you will see them tearing up a number and next they are chasing one and another around the hall or colouring in books on the floor, from a person who took up banjo with no musical experience whatsoever or in our family in his 30's it is really disheartening to see and makes you feel like giving up but you soon get over it and just watch and admire their talent Very Happy

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum