Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

recal notice

5 posters

Go down

recal notice Empty recal notice

Post by martinjsto Thu 19 Feb 2015, 9:02 pm

hi all,
have a question for the mechanic s out there, I just noticed a recall notice just issued for my car, mitsubishi pajero (NS 2008) from 2006 to 2014 for the timing chain tensioner.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I called the dealers about this back in may last year as I had seen on the pajero club forum NSW the issue with the tensioner and that a recall notice was active in malaysia at that time but as the dealers in Australia were not informed or required to do it here no work or recall was required. as I had read about this issue last year and decided to replace the tensioner myself 6 months ago and all has been good.
so my question is, as the recall notice has now been issued in australia and if i don't bother handing them my car as the tensioner has already replaced and done carefully and properly will it void my warranty? or am I best to just hand her over to them to play with (and probably find 20 or so "faulty" parts to replace whilst working on her and breaking them, at my cost)
an example is that the injector lines must be removed to do this job and it is written in the manual that they can only be removed and reused about 3 to 5 times then must be replaced at major cost so who pays for the early requirement of these parts as i will lose 25 to 33% of their life due to the recall?

From experience I would rather they leave my car alone but if the motor gets destroyed due to a timing chain letting go will they still pay to fix it under the extended warranty?

cheers

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

recal notice Empty Re: recal notice

Post by NuggieDreamer Thu 19 Feb 2015, 10:20 pm

If its been replaced already why lose sleep over a faulty part that isnt there. Wait till next timing chain service is due.
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Thu 19 Feb 2015, 10:55 pm

thats what i think nuggie, thanks for the response. they dont have a timing chain service as there is no issue with the chain as its a double chain on the 4m41 DI-D that has never broken on its own accord only from the broken tensioner bits jamming in the guide/chain sprockets , the only time they let go is when the guide wears out or fall to pieces like the old tensioner was known to do. it will only go in to the stealers for a annual service for the extended warrantee  although they are worth as much as the paper its written on. thats my only concern, if the motor gets destroyed they wont cover it cuz i didnt take it back for the recall.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Fri 20 Feb 2015, 2:10 am

Maybe, (if the tensioner still has a wear issue) treat it like a timing belt check every 150000k on services or a least before the warranty period ends if you keep it that long instead, just in case?
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Fri 20 Feb 2015, 4:42 pm

Martin perhaps you can ask if there's a time you have to have the vehicle in for to have the new chain done. If your vehicle is not readily available they must have some leeway. Then just get it knocked off at a higher mileage. I doubt you even have to have it done during the warranty period. It might be that there's no time or mileage limit just one per VIN.

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Fri 20 Feb 2015, 5:08 pm

thanks Phil, I was waiting for you to buy in, Very Happy cheers. i called them today and they advised me letters will be sent out but it could take up to 2 years for me to get mine. scratch your right as well, there is no time limit on getting it done and he told me if the motor gets damaged in the mean time MM with cover it so I will wait until i get closer to 300000 km then get it done.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Mc Fri 20 Feb 2015, 8:37 pm

I have an NT withabout 70k on it and wasn't aware of the issue, there's no dealer in town anymore so it would be a trip up to Broome or down to karatha, the other option would be at have a go at it myself, thanks for the heads up

Gary Mc

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 20 Feb 2015, 8:51 pm

I'll stick my oar in the water here. Pajeros aren't the only vehicles that have had problems with the timings chains.
It's across the board with all makes. But from what I read, it depends where the vehicle is made.
JMO

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sat 21 Feb 2015, 12:47 am

the timing chain is fine cliff its the tensioner that was made of a unsuitable material causing premature failure. but you right every vehicle has its issues of some sought its just a matter of being aware of them b4 they become a problem, the forums are the best place to research any vehicle. the shame is i knew about this and advised MM 9 months or more ago and they did nothing until forced to by recall.
Gary Mc, its a bit of a major job depending on the 4m41 you have, if you do decide to do it note: later models like mine the injector lines go through the top of the rocker cover requiring them to be removed, the older style doesn't so is a lot easier to do, i believe the NT has the same as mine so will require the removal of the lines (two tricky small bolts hold them on to the block are located under the inlet manifold and take inlet manifold apart and clean out the inside whilst it is off). be very careful NOT to turn the motor over backwards at any time with these motors as it allows the chain guide tensioner on the side to slip out and over tighten the chain resulting in incorrect timing and over tensioned chain that could break. the tensioner requiring changing is located directly on top of the chain and once the cover is removed is easy to get at. only replace with genuine parts and good idea to check valve clearance whilst there.
good luck

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down