Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DEHYDRATION --without notice--a real knockout

+3
albo
snapper
Bignuggs
7 posters

Go down

DEHYDRATION --without notice--a real knockout Empty DEHYDRATION --without notice--a real knockout

Post by Guest Tue 22 May 2012, 11:26 am

Went out last weekend with some great people from Ktown and a couple in particular who havent found gold as yet.
we all set up camp around 4.30pm and were swinging by 4.31pm--we dont muck around.
The weather was cool and I only had 4 beers sat night. Started tecting about 7am till 9.30am

Anyhow to cut a long story short when I got home Sunday around midday I felt like shite so had a shower and went and laid down.

All night had cramps in my right side and when I finally woke up Monday morning still had cramps and a bloody hugh headache..
Down to the chemist and bought a bottle of hydralyte x2..
mind u still recovering slowly-found a bottle of squincher in the fridge--made a brew and have been drinking that like theres no 2moro.

Looks like a bottle of Squincher will have a permanent place in the tojo.

Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

DEHYDRATION --without notice--a real knockout Empty Re: DEHYDRATION --without notice--a real knockout

Post by Bignuggs Tue 22 May 2012, 7:39 pm

Not nice and I know how it feels. Especially up in the Pilbara, it can be deceiving. Even in the cooler months, ya have to take fluids and I don't mean beer. Alcohol actually dehydrates the body, so always carry a water bottle with ya. It's the natural stuff or even use salt tablets if you have to.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

DEHYDRATION --without notice--a real knockout Empty Re: DEHYDRATION --without notice--a real knockout

Post by snapper Tue 22 May 2012, 8:30 pm

g,day fellas, ive had sunstroke twice and it took a fair while to get over, first time i was building a garage for an owner builder and he wanted it up before xmas so i had to work in over 40 degrees for 3 days with no shade, second time was workin for my brother mowing laws and wipper snipping, for 2 days we wippersnipped a big back yard and had those face masks on and i couldnt wear a hat so i fried my stupid head, took a week to get over it, cheers Stu
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

DEHYDRATION --without notice--a real knockout Empty DEHYDRATION

Post by albo Tue 22 May 2012, 8:37 pm

Also magnesium supplements are good for me when the calf muscles cramp up at night when detecting through the summer months, failing that, red label bundy fixes all. albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 22 May 2012, 8:38 pm

Once upon a time I had the pleasure of running up and down Mt Regal Karratha with a surveyors staff getting ready for the drillers. Yep I know about heat stroke and dehydration. F**ked and totally for 3 days.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 May 2012, 8:49 pm

Ya gettin old :rolf:

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 22 May 2012, 9:29 pm

It turned me grey over night and into the total wreck I am now :rolf:
and it has nothing to do with the copious amounts of beer we drank in Karratha :rolf:
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldies1955 Wed 23 May 2012, 12:46 am

Tell you what..you just cant drink enough water when your in the desert.
I know what you guys are talking about...been there done that.
As long as im still peeing and sweating im doing good.
The old timers here in Az. would sleep during the day in thier coyote holes and then work through the night.
They were a tough lot. But then again.....there were no Gov. handouts back then. :)
Tom H.

oldies1955

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2012, 4:58 am

Well...I guess it just shows how silly we all can be at times.
I always have a sip or two regularly when I detect. No matter what the weather is like.
I find I always drink a substantial amount of water after I get home for several hours.

Commonsense is all too uncommon sometimes.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2012, 7:23 am

Just a quick note--

drinking copious amount of water is a bit of a false economy--as I do drink a shit load of water in the workshop and when in the bush and I also advocate others do the same however what is lacking is the EXTRA supplements, electrolites and minerals our bodies need.

Maybe all the water from the Harding is being filter to a very high degree that they are taking all the mud out of the water.

Regards

Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2012, 8:51 am

I agree with Albo, Magnesium tabs are the go to stop the cramps.
They say that if you feel thirsty,your body is already dehydrating.Have a water bottle on the go or score one of those small Camel baks.
This can be made worse if you hit the Turps round the campfire after a days swinging.
Next day it will hit you like a Elderly driver on a Sydney footpath Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by K town swinger Wed 23 May 2012, 10:29 am

Hey Bignuggs bet you wish ya were carrying a detector up Regal instead of a survey staff,you would have killed it back then mate. l;wfh

K town swinger

Back to top Go down

Post by delapan Wed 23 May 2012, 11:50 am

hi guys, just remember that the effects of dehydration can strike for up to 3 day after the event......gary
delapan
delapan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2012, 8:08 pm

went out and bought some magnesium tablets-full strength and the mrs told me about magnesium and phoshorus--so we now have both.

Now my wee has turned green and my shit has turned blue--lol!

but definately turned the corner--mind u will b taking the tablets bush with me along with the electrolites--

Regards

Oneday69

Back to top Go down

DEHYDRATION --without notice--a real knockout Empty DEHYDRATION

Post by albo Wed 23 May 2012, 8:18 pm

Thats good news oneday69 . too much info as they say, larf, good shit man. cheers, albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 23 May 2012, 9:07 pm

Lot of good info here in this topic so I'll add some more.

Bottled water is a waste of time regardless of whats on the label and I definitely don't drink bottled water that comes from outside Australia and a lot comes from outside the mainland. It does in WA anyway.
Perth tap water is better than bottled water, yes it is but I'm sure you will disagree with me.
Bore water will give you a good dose of the sh#ts, if highly mineralised and you ain't used to it. Mix it with lime cordial, worked for me.
If you don't trust water, put some gatorade or what ever in it for the extra hydrolytes. Or salt tablets.
Alcohol depletes the body of vitamin B, take extra if you like a beer or 2 or 3 at the end of the day.
If a smoker, take extra vitamin C.
If sitting around a camp fire all night drinking and smoking, take B & C with a couple of Panadeine before crashing, you will feel better in the morning and no hangover. Bit seedy maybe but you can still get at it without feeling like shit.
Extra Zinc & Magnesium tablets, totally agree with.

Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Diver Wed 23 May 2012, 9:12 pm

Great advice guys.

Gold Diver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down