Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyre Repairs

5 posters

Go down

Tyre Repairs Empty Tyre Repairs

Post by Bignuggs Mon 10 Feb 2014, 7:19 pm

we have talked a lot about tyres and personal preference for rims. My choice is split rims, easy to repair and use tubes not tubeless.
Now I haven't had a 4x4 in a lot of years so here's my question.
If the tyres are tubeless and ya running standard rims, providing ya don't do a sidewall, what sort of repair kit would be good for small to medium holes just to get ya outa trouble.
Or would you carry bead breaker and levers and put a tube in.
I used to carry a few spare tubes and bottles of the compressed air repair for things like nails thru a tyre but out in the scrub I've had bits of flint cut thru the tyre and thats a bugger.
whats ya thorts ??

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Tyre Repairs Empty Re: Tyre Repairs

Post by onthisharvestmoon Mon 10 Feb 2014, 7:57 pm

Bignuggs wrote:we have talked a lot about tyres and personal preference for rims.  My choice is split rims, easy to repair and use tubes not tubeless.
Now I haven't had a 4x4 in a lot of years so here's my question.
If the tyres are tubeless and ya running standard rims, providing ya don't do a sidewall, what sort of repair kit would be good for small to medium holes just to get ya outa trouble.
Or would you carry bead breaker and levers and put a tube in.
I used to carry a few spare tubes and bottles of the compressed air repair for things like nails thru a tyre but out in the scrub I've had bits of flint cut thru the tyre and thats a bugger.
whats ya thorts  ??

I'd say ray may have some answers and or solutions .

I spent all day sat-sun in the bush no problem , 2km's on the black stuff and she got a bit loose in the back end ,side wall gone aswell as 3 or 4 hundies . Talk soon Ray !!!!!!!!
onthisharvestmoon
onthisharvestmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Mon 10 Feb 2014, 9:19 pm

Splits work if lightly loaded only I reckon, Cliff.
An ARB Tubless Plug Repair kit is the go @ $60 on the best tyres you can afford (more sidewall plys the better) and a 12v compressor (if ou want to keep your eyebrows) or for the brave, keep a tyre lever, matches, flyspray and a splash petrol handy for flats.

My Personal Story - Who needs Split's...

Once worked in the desert North East of Kal had 2 spare wheels (South Perth Rentals loaded 75 series Tojo ute) and popped 3 tyres (with about 60psi in em to keep the side walls off the sharp bits - but to no avail).

Yep we were stuffed, 300km from Kal, 100km from Rawlina and another 150km to go to get to the remote community we had to get to, still waiting for a Payphone to work...

Not owning the ute, we decided to move the flat split to the front left, put the front left on the back where we got the flat again and drove the next 150km on the soft edge (with the odd rock "BANG!!!") left by the grader doing good pace 40-60km/hr ...and got Mad economy.
Had a rim looking like a 50cent piece to give back to the Hire Company after the rubber parted company with the rim after the 1st 10km and that just made the whhel run smoother!
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Tue 11 Feb 2014, 12:03 am

i take along 2 spares, a tire repair kit with the plugs and a couple of tubes and some truck patches and more glue than you get in the pack. break bead with a jack and to re bead a tire there is a good way of using some wd40 or aerogaurd or deodorant ETC, just spray into the un beaded tyre and throw a match in it, keep valve completely out and fingers clear and woosh... one seated tyre, lol works with all tyres including tractors but you must be very careful.  jhgigfif  QK;  good in an emergency.

personally i would keep fingers clear.

as you know cliff I mainly  keep to the tracks and clear a path if bush bashing but i dont like doing that too much. if your not shy of a bit of a walk then most places are accessible when you look on Google earth and can find the tracks in like we did.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:13 am

My son runs this goo in his $300+ tyres on his monstrous Suzuki Boulevard motorbike.

Have any of you blokes tried it on your 4by's

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Sat 15 Feb 2014, 11:28 pm

Depending on your prospecting style , if you live in a bush camp or lease , one trip to town each 2 weeks or so & stake 3 tyres a day / fortnight  Laughing  & need to repair them yourself , really you need splits , iv had them both & to be at ease with it all splits were easier to manage if you invest in a good bead breaker , the cam action one , not the screw threaded type . Have done many trips with guys that go the other way & had to help them out .. painfull . not too bad if a plug is needed or break one bead & chuck in a tyre patch , anything more ... rrrrr
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down