Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold & Ghosts by d.w. de havelland

5 posters

Go down

Gold & Ghosts by d.w. de havelland Empty Gold & Ghosts by d.w. de havelland

Post by old dragon Sun 26 May 2013, 1:48 pm

Hi this my first post so take it easy on me. :study: I have been doing a lot of researching where to prospect in WA. I have purchased gold mine finder and once I learn how to drive it I'm sure it will be helpful. I was thinking about purchasing 1 of the gold & ghost books, to help with my research and wanting some advice on which one volume 1 or 2 would anyone like would recommend.
Regards old dragon confused

old dragon

Back to top Go down

Gold & Ghosts by d.w. de havelland Empty Re: Gold & Ghosts by d.w. de havelland

Post by martinjsto Sun 26 May 2013, 5:45 pm

Hi Dragon, from what i read they are worth buying at the right price, there is still relevant info in the books but a lot of the locations have open pits on them now. dont expect to go to x marks the spot. tongue it still gives you great info on where gold has been found and with other research it will help you find your own spots. a good place to start is where gold has been found b4 and taking note of structures and geology and vegetation ETC, will guide your research. I too have gold mine finder and it is a great tool, quite easy to use really, when searching for mines tick the 100k map name then with the results use that name to do a search for all mines in that map , export as a txt and upload co ordinates to google earth, (i can help you do this if you have difficulties) exellent.... kwdf i use it a lot when in the field, it gives up a lot of info with old mine locations otherwised not marked, always click the oar treated tonnes, gold produced, alluvial or dollied, production period and remark, , unfortunatlly there are a lot with no results but still very usefull info, did you do the 4 day tip with Bill and Udo up at cue?
good luck
Martin

Last edited by martinjsto on Sun 26 May 2013, 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 May 2013, 5:45 pm

the black copy would be a good starter copy if u can get your hands on one..usually about $600 plus..or borrow one...

The book is still under copywrite so be careful and how u obtain it is your business..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by old dragon Sun 26 May 2013, 6:33 pm

martinjsto wrote:Hi Dragon, from what i read they are worth buying at the right price, there is still relevant info in the books but a lot of the locations have open pits on them now. dont expect to go to x marks the spot. tongue it still gives you great info on where gold has been found and with other research it will help you find your own spots. a good place to start is where gold has been found b4 and taking note of structures and geology and vegetation ETC, will guide your research. I too have gold mine finder and it is a great tool, quite easy to use really, when searching for mines tick the 100k map name then with the results use that name to do a search for all mines in that map , export as a txt and upload co ordinates to google earth, (i can help you do this if you have difficulties) exellent.... kwdf i use it a lot when in the field, it gives up a lot of info with old mine locations otherwised not marked, always click the oar treated tonnes, gold produced, alluvial or dollied, production period and remark, , unfortunatlly there are a lot with no results but still very usefull info, did you do the 4 day tip with Bill and Udo up at cue?
good luck
Martin

Hi Martin thanks for that, I might take you up on your offer if I have any problems when I get back to doing more research. Just having a break at this moment catching up some work around the house. Yes my wife and I are booked into a course at Cue with Bill and Udo in October,13. ps I hope this reply works out
Regards old dragon

old dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by old dragon Sun 26 May 2013, 6:35 pm

oneday monday wrote:the black copy would be a good starter copy if u can get your hands on one..usually about $600 plus..or borrow one...

The book is still under copywrite so be careful and how u obtain it is your business..

regards
oneday

Hi oneday,
Thank you, I will take that on board.
regards old dragon

old dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sun 26 May 2013, 6:46 pm

no problems old dragon, just pm me when your ready and i will forward instructions if you require them, Bill and Sue O'connor are family friend for may years now, you are in good hands and I am sure you will pick up a lot on the course, some interesting ground N/W of the tennament the course is held on, worth a few days after the course to hone your new skills l;wfh
good luck
Martin

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Sun 26 May 2013, 8:58 pm

Gday OD
Welcome.
I nearly had a heart attack when de Havilland published G&G. All my old spots that I thought were good secrets were suddenly revealed to everyone. Bugger. Can't recommend them highly enough. Any prospector should have them, although as Martin said, a lot of the sites have been mined in the past 30 years but they'll still get you onto gold straight away and some of his suggestions to prospect adjacent areas are full of merit.
Volume 1 is the best but vol 2 extends that again. If you're not strapped for cash and want to prospect WA get them both. Two volumes will set you back a little over half an ounce. Pittance really for the info you get. Then again if you can't afford it, then some serious net surfing will yield a wealth of info. Tengraph is very good. Get yourself access as you'll need it to determine the classification of the ground you want to prospect anyway.
Ask if you want any more info.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by old dragon Mon 27 May 2013, 4:59 pm

mulgadansa wrote:Gday OD
Welcome.
I nearly had a heart attack when de Havilland published G&G. All my old spots that I thought were good secrets were suddenly revealed to everyone. Bugger. Can't recommend them highly enough. Any prospector should have them, although as Martin said, a lot of the sites have been mined in the past 30 years but they'll still get you onto gold straight away and some of his suggestions to prospect adjacent areas are full of merit.
Volume 1 is the best but vol 2 extends that again. If you're not strapped for cash and want to prospect WA get them both. Two volumes will set you back a little over half an ounce. Pittance really for the info you get. Then again if you can't afford it, then some serious net surfing will yield a wealth of info. Tengraph is very good. Get yourself access as you'll need it to determine the classification of the ground you want to prospect anyway.
Ask if you want any more info.
cheers
Brett
Thanks Brett & Martin I have been using Tengraph I'm researched out at the moment :study: I still have 3 months before we head west, we are looking forward to our trip can't wait :Regards old dragon

old dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Paintar Thu 30 May 2013, 7:44 pm

Here ya go all
Have a look at this one ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gold-and-Ghosts-Prospectors-Guide-Metal-Detecting-and-History-the-/300912737480?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D8018867950532338861%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D300912737480%26#ht_7wt_1111.
Paintar
Paintar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 30 May 2013, 8:08 pm

Auction, I'd like to see the price in 8 days time when it finishes. Are they worth it ? I dunno now but I'll hang on to mine. cheers
It'll be interesting to see what price it fetches.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Gold & Ghosts by d.w. de havelland Empty Gold & Ghosts by d.w. de havelland

Post by old dragon Fri 31 May 2013, 5:54 am

Very Happy I purchased volume 1 and now waiting for Australia post to deliver it, thanks everyone for your information it helped me decide which book to buy. Should be some good reading :study:
regards old dragon

old dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down