Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Google Earth Overlays

2 posters

Go down

Google Earth Overlays Empty Google Earth Overlays

Post by Bignuggs Sat 18 May 2013, 5:21 pm

Not sure if this will be of any help but I had a go at doing my first overlay. I need more practice doing it, but it works.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Google Earth Overlays Empty Re: Google Earth Overlays

Post by Bignuggs Wed 16 Oct 2013, 9:32 pm

I've been messing around with this stuff, buggered if I can work it out.  I'm a dinosaur  Razz 
Is there a way of overlaying the Geo maps onto google earth.  Can someone please post easy instructions for old dogs like me  lol!
And should I be using direct X or GL mode in google earth to do it.

Cheers
Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:04 pm

i do this regularly cliff, the best way i found after you have downloaded the map (use 125 not 250) is first to edit the map, crop to remove legends etc, save as a new pic and then open google earth. using the first copy of the map find the top left and bottom right co ordinates then add a place mark at those locations in google earth then click add, then an image overlay, select the cropped map image and do the adjustments to the corners to make them as close to place marks as possible. i then zoom in to find track corners or intersections to accurately adjust the map boarders. if you right click on the overlay and then properties, or while the properties box is up you can adjust the opacity, i set it to just barely see 10% to get the track intersections to line up, do this on a few places on the map and when happy set opacity to 100% and OK, you should now be able to click the overlay on or off by the legend. just a point, if you have tenements and other data loaded then the image may just end up being a big red cross. use the 125 image not the 250 so it is a smaller file size or remove some data from the legend for space as the cache is limited.
see how you go if no luck i will show you when i drop off your stuff next week.
hope this helped.
oh direct x mode.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:55 pm

just a note Cliff, although this works quite well it is very memory intensive for earth and does cause crashes so i rarely do this now instead i just open the map in geo maps and zoom in to the area i am interested in then have google earth open and zoomed to the same area then click on one then back to the other and align size and track. then you just click on earth or geo maps on bottom toolbar to see one on the other (sought of).

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down