Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

first time out find 9 Carrett ring

4 posters

Go down

first time out find 9 Carrett ring Empty first time out find 9 Carrett ring

Post by martinjsto Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:57 am

Hi all.
I am new to prospecting and will be betting more serious this year, looking for a cheep starter detector I purchased a Garrett groundhog ADS a few days ago for next to nothing with a small coil and a large co-planer one and took it to the beach for a tryout. not much coins but a nice gold ring with a center stone and what looks like small diamonds around it.
I found lots of junk as expected and removed it all from the beach. not much on the dry sandy bit but i found the ring in the dunes near what looked like a small camping spot. lots of beer cans and tops also.
all in all, this is just what a first timer needs to spur the interest. The ring is probably only worth 30 or 40 dollars but the value is not important the old girl still found the gold and a few coins. what a great machine, now I need to learn about the TR mode and how to stop the wet sand setting the thing off (any info would be great) . I cant wait till 4pm to hit the beach again. thanks all. Very Happy
Martin
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

first time out find 9 Carrett ring Empty Re: first time out find 9 Carrett ring

Post by Guest Thu 10 Jan 2013, 1:38 pm

Well done Martin, i hit the beach now n then for a dig, also found a 9ct ring on my 1st attempt but no rings since last year.
Here's some help for using your ADS mate.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Thu 10 Jan 2013, 2:18 pm

cheers for that pete, the manual is just what i needed. off later for another walk. had the ring appraised, just a cheapie white gold with fake diamond, worth about $60 AU. just paid for the detector in one swoop or should i say swing.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:01 am

Good onya Martin, cosmetic jewery is better than none, just had a go at detecting trig beach for an hour, nth of Perth and found a whole $3.10 haha
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by samham00 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:53 am

Wow thats well done for first time out! I took my new detector down the local beach just to get familiar with it today.
Found: 2x brand new tent pegs, 1 sinker, $1.10, 1 swivel and removed a broken glass bottle. I found the iron discrimination works well even for a beginner on the Garrett, I got zero bottle caps except for a Jim Beam bottle screw on cap which I think may be alloy.
My only issue is I need to drill bigger holes in my scoop tin so the sand sieves easier!

samham00

Back to top Go down

Post by Woteva Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:55 am

Nice find Martin but be careful, this hobby can become addictive.
I try and get down to the beach once a week, hourly rate is not the best but I enjoy the outing and if I find anything, well thats a bonus. Picked up $10.10 in coins last Sunday morning

Woteva

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:38 pm

Thinking of hitting the usual playgrounds in the morning (shut up Rob Razz ) thats where my best finds are.
Got this lot in 4 hrs one arvo, $36.00 and the gold chain.

first time out find 9 Carrett ring 00110
first time out find 9 Carrett ring Img00010

Gotta detect something in the off season or i'll go even more Crazy first time out find 9 Carrett ring 3273188554 lol!
Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:11 pm

thanks for all the replies people. now that is a good few hrs work Pete, nice chain to boot. I have tried the swan river around Mosmans and also hit the beaches at Mullaloo and Quinns over the last week, I only found around $10 but got to cleaned a few beaches pirat , I went over the beach in front of the caravan park at Quinns beach for the second time this week and still manage to fill a bag with rubbish. I took 3 bags off a few days ago so it shows you how a beach can change (or how dirty some people are) Shocked the detector is payed for now so any wins are a bonus. great practice for my swinging and tuning. I am learning the difference with pull tabs and caps ETC but am still digging every target using all metal mode. from what I read the wash outs near the water or just in the water is the best place to detect as the waves action clean off the lighter rubbish leaving behind the rings and coins. i will concentrate on the water edge for a while to see if the rubbish rate cleans up.
cheers all.
Martin
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down