Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Do You Carry Your Spare Coils????

5 posters

Go down

How Do You Carry Your  Spare Coils???? Empty How Do You Carry Your Spare Coils????

Post by Woteva Wed 03 Oct 2012, 12:51 pm

Have just added another coil (14" Eliptical Nugget Finder Mono) to the arsenal which now makes four and I have come to the conclusion that I need to work out a better way to carry my coils to avoid the possibility of damaging them. At present they are all stored in a "Shingleback" detector bag with the detector and harness which is carried on the back seat of the car, this is the only spare space I have in the car when I go bush.I like to camp in comfort.
Was thinking if I took the stems off, the coils could be individually stored in a flat style cardboard box - What do you do?????
Its a PITA fitting stems when you swap coils but I may have to just get used to it - its a bigger pain when you get out there and find your favourite coil doesn't want to work properly because you damaged the cable connection during transit.
Cheers
Woteva

Woteva

Back to top Go down

How Do You Carry Your  Spare Coils???? Empty Re: How Do You Carry Your Spare Coils????

Post by Bignuggs Wed 03 Oct 2012, 1:03 pm

I carry 3 extra coils when I do get out and they get placed in a flat cardboard carton with some bubble wrap around them.
It works for me.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

How Do You Carry Your  Spare Coils???? Empty Re: How Do You Carry Your Spare Coils????

Post by Guest Wed 03 Oct 2012, 1:10 pm

First,go to a Bunnings or Clark Rubber store and buy some of those rubber chair stops to put over the 5-pin plug end of your coils.
Second, coil the leads around like they were when you bought the coils then put two coils together skidplate-to-skidplate and wrap some bubblewrap around them. You can get that from any post office.
Third, find a suitable cardboard box to put them in.

Btw, I've been carrying coils around in the back of my 4wds unprotected for years and never damaged one of them.
But that's me. Others may do it differently.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by koeh Wed 03 Oct 2012, 3:31 pm

I have one of those army cases
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOOL-CASE-PLASTIC-STORAGE-BOX-UTILITY-4WD-ARMY-CAMPING-TRUNK-200LTGREY44-RRP-399-/251159778612?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7a4a1534
Similar to these it fits my 18", 14",11" coils in it plus headphones,spare cables and clothes,mine is only about 20"x20"x6"

koeh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter22 Wed 03 Oct 2012, 6:46 pm

Storage tub EZY from office works plastic, cost around $6 -$8 with cover .You can wrap coils if you like, I wrap coils just in plastic bags from Aldi, but I do have only ellipt mono and there not big so they fit, but the rubber over pin as goldnomad suggests that is a perfect idea ,I’m' heading to rubber Clark tomorrow to pick some of rubber myself
Peter.

Peter22

Back to top Go down

Post by nvchris Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:15 am

I just toss them in a tub like Peter.

But on the tips of the cable I use a rubber screw cap cover to keep the connections free of dust.

I imagine you can find them at a well stocked hardware store.
nvchris
nvchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Woteva Sat 06 Oct 2012, 4:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback and ideas guys. Visited Clarke Rubber today and purchased some condoms (rubber tips) to protect the end of my cables/connectors and will try the bubblewrap and suitable flat cardboard boxes to store my coils.
Good luck out there...
Woteva

Woteva

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:50 pm

i got 3 extra coils in a solid plastic road case....as well as spare everything including handle.....earphones and speaker, cables. tape etc.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down