Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overlay WA geo data in google earth

3 posters

Go down

Overlay WA geo data in google earth Empty Overlay WA geo data in google earth

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 2:13 pm

Hi all,

Bit of a random stab in the dark this one. I use google earth a fair bit as i am sure we all do. Now I was just wondering if anyone had come across kmz files for the WA geo maps. This creates a transparent representation of the geo map data overlayed the google earth imagery. Works well and puts everything in one place.

I am getting tempted to buy GIS software to convert existing WA geo maps into a google earth layer but would be nice if it was already done as it would save me money and more importantly a hell of a lot of time lol.

Cheers,

sam

Back to top Go down

Overlay WA geo data in google earth Empty Re: Overlay WA geo data in google earth

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 5:49 am

You need Detrackozi (David). He's a wizkid at that kind of stuff. He's a member here

Robert

Back to top Go down

Overlay WA geo data in google earth Empty Re: Overlay WA geo data in google earth

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:34 am

Okay mate, actually got it working now lol. Very usefull having geomaps as a layer on Google earth.

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoopa Sat 01 Sep 2012, 6:27 pm

Hey Sam care to explain how this is done very interested myself in doing this as i am sure others are.
Cheers
hoolahoopa

hoolahoopa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 7:41 pm

yeah when i have got all the data sorted ill post up the kmz files with the maps all done mate, will be done as an extra layer on google earth,

sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:57 pm

plus post up the recipe for fish n chips pommie style mate, been years ay yummmmmmmmmy kwdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Sep 2012, 4:53 am

Crazy Pete wrote:plus post up the recipe for fish n chips pommie style mate, been years ay yummmmmmmmmy kwdf

8-10 years old, go to the flicks in Ringwood on Satdee arvo.On the way home call in to the local pommy fish n chip shop and get a zack's worth of chips and a piece of freshly battered flake for a deena. All wrapped up in grease-proof paper and the Herald. Bloody big queue in that shop I tell ya.
Used to get paid for bringing them rolled up newspaper.

They really were the good ol' days

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Nov 2012, 8:44 am

Hi All,

I'm leaving Cue and require geo map overlays for WA, i have done three before, that is i retrimmed them and then downloaded to google earth. Those maps i got from David in the form of a kml but they have since been deleted, can anyone tell me where i can get some more maps from and are they 1:100000 or 1:125000

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM Wed 05 Dec 2012, 10:08 pm

Hi All,

We need help.

When travelling across tenements we want to use software and our GPS that denotes where we are, what tenement we are on etc..

We have GeoMap installed and all the relevant maps but what software and screen device do we buy which will give us this information whilst prospecting for gold. Do we use an IPad or just our Laptop PC? Do we have to buy Explorer software?

We would appreciate any assistance from members that can advise on the best way to approach this and any recommendations on software and/or screen to use.

Cheers

Bob & Joan

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Wed 05 Dec 2012, 11:01 pm

Free Mosaics are available on the Dept of Minerals & Petroleum website.

You can get KMZ Google Earth Overlay files from the DMP Data and Software Page
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1:500 000 Interpreted Bedrock Geology Download Google Earth KMZ zip.exe File (20 mb)
(This file self extracts to few files including a Geology Mozaic file and a Fault Line structure file in your download folder)

Double Click either downloaded KML file and they will start up Google Earth and put a link in the 'Temporary Places' menu. You then can tick check them either on/off. Click and save to 'My Places' to keep.

Do the same with
Tenements - Current (Live and Pending) Download Google Eath KMZ zip.exe File (12mb)
and you get current pending in Blue and Granted in green mosaics on Google Earth

Do the same with
Mines, deposits and prospects (MINEDEX)
and you get every mine exploration in WA (BUT uncheck lables and everything else but 'Precious Metals' so all thats left is GOLD MINE Locations yellow triangles (clicking mines or the tenements will give more info too)...

Now you can overlay to your heart content, showing where gold has been found in current Pending or Granted Mosaics with Geo Faultlines or just on Geo Bedrock mosaics just like the Pro's!

NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM Thu 06 Dec 2012, 5:15 pm

Many thanks NuggieDreamer, will follow instructions and advise how we go. Cheers Joan & Bob

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Dec 2012, 7:49 am

Hi All,

I worked it out, so here goes:

We need a geo map that has the borders trimmed off to fit onto google the reason being as each map is put onto google they would overlap, so we need a trimmed map

To get this go to the main page of this forum and go to geo map downloads(top rh corner) and selct a map(they are all named ie Cue, laverton etc) and then select the pixel size ie:125(middle one) and the map will come up, click on map to get either small or large copy, i went to the small copy, now we have to copy this and put it into my pictures on your computer.

Each digital camera we have has its own photo shop icon on the front page of my computer, double coick on this and go to my pictures and double click on the map. The list of things you can do to the picture is on the rhs and go to trim, using the pointers and dots trim the borders off the map and the save back into my pictures, preferably into its own folder and name it and also put the coords of the relevant corners of the map as well

Google Earth has a tutorial on how to download your map once it is retrimmed to size..follow this and there it is!!!

Ron

PS:Just noticed a photo editor at the top of the main page of the forum, so you could crop the maps in there!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down