Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lest We Forget

+6
maladjusted
Bignuggs
reg
Someday
gcause
Peaky
10 posters

Go down

Lest We Forget Empty Lest We Forget

Post by Guest Tue 24 Apr 2012, 1:52 pm

The team here at DWAG would like to extend our deepest gratitude and respect for all serving
and fallen diggers and their families tomorrow on what is the 97th Anzac Commemoration.

Thankyou brothers & sisters, mums and dads, sons and daughters, we will not forget your
great patriotism and respect for our nation when in need..

To the troops still in country, may you arrive back home soon, safe and well.

They shall grow not old as we are left grow old. Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.

Lest we forget

Back to top Go down

Lest We Forget Empty Re: Lest We Forget

Post by Guest Tue 24 Apr 2012, 2:59 pm

God bless 'em.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Peaky Tue 24 Apr 2012, 4:01 pm

I will be taking my boys to the dawn service

we will not forget
Peaky
Peaky

Back to top Go down

Post by gcause Tue 24 Apr 2012, 4:38 pm

Lest we forget.
gcause
gcause

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Apr 2012, 4:53 pm

onya Peaky

I'm off up to the old 1914 army camp at blackboy hill swan view for the Dawn service

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Apr 2012, 4:54 pm

I will now raise my glass of rum because I can, thanks to the fallen diggers!!

Lest we forget!

Back to top Go down

Post by Someday Tue 24 Apr 2012, 5:06 pm

Always have had and always will have my full support.

Lest we forget
Someday
Someday

Back to top Go down

Post by reg Tue 24 Apr 2012, 5:10 pm

always have my support,they made good old aussie, lest we forget.
reg
reg

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 24 Apr 2012, 6:47 pm

It certainly is a day to reflect and remember. Personal for a lot of people, just a day off for others. For me it's personal and if I drink enough I'll probably end up shedding a tear in my beer for those who were close to me and who didn't hesitate to answer the call.
They are gone but will never be forgotten.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maladjusted Tue 24 Apr 2012, 8:22 pm

Well, it's probably the one day of the year where I do have a form of religious observance without fail.

For those who served, who serve, their families and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, thank you.

Lest We Forget.

maladjusted

Back to top Go down

Post by the speciman Tue 24 Apr 2012, 8:31 pm

YE GDAY ALL
LEAST WE FORGET
yes im going to the service tommorrow in karratha.
and im takin a 6 year old with me.
its been a week of education for the young fella, trying to explain what all those BRAVE men and women were doing fighting to look after our existance!
saying that we are doin the service to remember how they fought so hard and fast so all aussies could live a comfortble life.
and we parents should instill in our young people/children the importance of what ANZAC DAY means.
so that the tradition and RESPECT continuses for MANY MANY MANY more generations to come.
LEAST WE FORGET

GOOD SCRATCHIN
CHEERS THE SPECIMAN

the speciman

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:34 pm

Personal to me as well!

Lest we forget!
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by delapan Wed 25 Apr 2012, 7:18 am

yes is personal to me too, remembering my mates
lest we forget
delapan
delapan

Back to top Go down

Post by delapan Wed 25 Apr 2012, 7:18 am

yes is personal to me too, remembering my mates
lest we forget
delapan
delapan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Apr 2012, 7:51 am

In absolute respect....we never forget

they went to war and quite a few lost their lives, many injured and they all are heros to me.

they returned with no demands and kept this great land free for everyone to enjoy.

I NEVER FORGET

Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:49 am

If you would like to share a story or a memory, by all means do so. Here's one of mine.

Walter Thomas Turner (11th, 16th & 51st battalions), a man of short stature with a big heart (5' 4" and a jockey)
Served 4 years in the Hell they called France, gassed near the end of the war.
A man I was extremely proud of, my grandfather.

Lest We Forget Walter10
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:20 am

CLIFF
i dont have a story and I dont have any memories to share, coz my parents were maltese and they came to Australia after they bombed shit out of Malta to have another go at life.
Your story like a lot of others I hear always bring a tear to my eyes..and they make me very proud...
--tissues--
we wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for the courage and dignity of our veterans past and present..

regards
ray

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:36 am

oneday69 wrote:\
we wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for the courage and dignity of our veterans past and present..

Well said Ray!!

I just home from the service, my 10 year old marched today with scouts...proud of the young tacker!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 25 Apr 2012, 11:03 am

Ray, you do have a story to share. Malta and it's people didn't get this for doing nothing.

Lest We Forget 19510
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Apr 2012, 1:36 pm

Good one Cliff, I have lived with and worked with malteese people and I thought they played a significant role but couldn't find any info...thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by big chop Wed 25 Apr 2012, 4:29 pm

lest we forget
the brave men and women who still to this day give up everything to protect there country and people.
just makes me proud that i'm part of such a great country.
lest we forget
big chop
big chop

Back to top Go down

Post by maladjusted Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:32 pm

'On one side, Great Grandfather and his brother both went off, enlisted in 1914. Both were 14th Battalion (Jacka's mob) at Gallipoli, the brother was wounded in the offensives to support the landings by the Poms at Suvla Bay, died while enroute to England and is one of about 7 Aussies buried at the Gibralter Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery....the other gents buried there are RAAF from WW2. Great Grandfather went on to become a machine gunner and Provost (well, we'll keep that bit a little quiet), serving through France/Belgium, wounded and gassed many, many times (as most of them were.....a generation as tough as any ever made) but still came back and made it to a ripe old age, lived his life out in Mildura. On the other side, Grandfather's brother (Granduncle?) served on Australian destroyers in WW1. When he went to enlist for WW2 (and hand himself in for deserting in 1919.....he got bored apparently.....) they told him to bugger off 'coz he was too old! Grandfather was sailing as a merchant seaman and in WW2 was heavily involved in salvage work (features as the Coxswain in the book Gold From The Sea....not a bad read either).

Great uncle's RAAF Lancaster crash site located last year in northern France and a memorial to be dedicated perhaps later this year, am hoping that his compass (was the navigator) will be handed to the Air Force Museum at Point Cook with a full story of the crew. For years the crash site was thought to be over water....turns out, there is even an account from the pilot who shot them down....he got eight in that same night but didn't see the year out himself. His brother came back a Group Captain...curious history with the RAF as an Aussie....left a cousin for us in England we only found out about a few years back Wink

Father's cousins served in the 6th, 7th and 9th Divisions...Greece, Crete, Tobruk, Syria, Alamein, New Guinea, Borneo....all infantrymen, another in the RAN on HMAS Shropshire amongst other vessels and was present at the Japanese surrender in Tokyo.

Have met so very many more though, blokes who went through Korea, Malaya, Borneo and Vietnam. Have had mates who went through Timor, Afghanistan, Iraq and other places...highest respect for all of them. It's a pity we find out so little of their exploits, but then, who'd trust the press to tell the truth?

For links to our military history I doubt anyone would have to look far though, any family around during those times was impacted one way and another. Not only that, it doesn't detract from those who have come since....in many cases, it's why they came.

Missed the wreath laying ceremony today due to a pressing necessity arising from the weather.....just managed a couple of rums before bed.

I shan't forget.

maladjusted

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:28 pm

Good on ya Mal for sharing a bit of ya family history and it was interesting. There are a lot of stories out there and I can understand why it's still personal and sensitive for a lot of people. So to break the ice again, I'll stick another pic up. Every time I look at this photo, I ask myself, what did they have to smile about ? Only they know, but they are all gone now so they can't tell me.

Lest We Forget Img01510
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down