Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coils I'll need

3 posters

Go down

coils I'll need Empty coils I'll need

Post by Kanakers Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:21 pm

Hi and thanks for the greetings .
I recently bought a Minelab 4500 which came with an 11'' DD coil, I know it's not the best coil to use these days, I have tried around the Castlemaine area with not much luck, actually no luck yet but it's not a race. Wondering what would be a good spread of coils to get over the next year as I can afford them? Cheers
Kanakers
Kanakers

Back to top Go down

coils I'll need Empty Re: coils I'll need

Post by Guest Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:27 pm

hey mate, i run a 14" N/F round and that's a bloody grat coil and 11" commander mono and a 18" N/F round. i use the 14" the most as it's good on small at good depth and goes a good depth
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:56 pm

G'day Knackers Very Happy

Mate your obviously gonna need a couple of Mono coils to get that 45 screamin, first thing to consider is what shape do i like/need, there are Elliptical or oval shaped and also round coils, the main difference between the two are

ELLIPTICAL - Good for heavy scrub covered ground and able to get into all the tight spots a round coil
has trouble doing, they have a slightly sharper response than a round coil of roughly the same size, this is due to the windings being squeezed in the guts creating a tighter signal field, they are also very sensitive at the toe and heel
of the coil due to the sharp ellipsis of the coil, this makes pinpointing a whole lot easier, overall depth is roughly 10-15% less than a round coil of the same surface area....

ROUND - Gives 10-15% more depth than an Elliptical of roughly the same size, can be a problem pinpointing
small targets, ground coverage on an 14" round is the same as a 14" Elliptical, round coils are not as easily maneuvered in areas with thicker ground cover.

The next thing to consider is size,A good swing all day coil would be either a 14x9 Elliptical Mono, or a 14"
round Mono, these two coil sizes will give good coverage and pretty good depth on all target sizes with the
Elliptical beating the round on sensitivity to smaller bread n butter gold.

For More Coverage per swing then a 18" Round Mono or a 18x12 Elliptical Mono will do the trick, with very good
depth and still plenty of sensitivity to smaller gold.

There are larger coils on the market but running before you learn to walk is not advised mate.

Most Detector shops have these coils you can hire alone, maybe hire one 1st and have a days swing
and get a feel for wich coil size/shape suits not only your style of detecting but also the areas you plan
on detecting at.....

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Peaky Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:30 am

Knackers

I have the 4500 and use the 14"X9" NFA

This is by far the best coil I have used

Great to swing all day and will pick up the small bits with a strong signal

Peaky
Peaky
Peaky

Back to top Go down

Post by Kanakers Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:31 am

Thanks for the replies everyone, but I have to say it's hard to concentrate on Pete's posts while that little black duck is doing what I think he's doing. {He ain't shining his shoes is he?} lol!
Kanakers
Kanakers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Feb 2012, 1:54 pm

PETE'S JUST RATTLIN THE CANISTER---CLEANIN GOLD---HOPEFULLY HE DOESNT KNOCK THE TOP OFF---
OHHHH MR PETE WHAT A MESS---- coils I'll need 2225825816 coils I'll need 2225825816 lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Feb 2012, 2:02 pm

just shakin up the Lemon Scented PLEDGE lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaw Thu 02 Feb 2012, 3:09 pm

Everyone has a favourite coil. But its horses for courses.
What do you plan on looking for? sub grammers or patches? Or deep spuds?
An 11 round, a 14x9 covers the smaller stuff and medium stuff, and look for a 24x12 or maybe a large round for the deeper ones?
Are you working open ground or long grass or thick scrub?
Just my way of thinking but i am usually wrong......
Makaw
Makaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kanakers Thu 02 Feb 2012, 4:40 pm

Hi Makaw, its mainly light scrub in Castlemaine, and I'll take whatever I can get in relation to the type of gold.
Kanakers
Kanakers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down