Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

roof mounted permanent solar charger..

5 posters

Go down

roof mounted permanent solar charger.. Empty roof mounted permanent solar charger..

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jan 2012, 6:48 pm

Hi everyone--just chasing a bit of professional advice... will be mounting a 120w solar panel on the roof of my tojo above the roof of the cab.
1) what angle is recomended when facing north?
2) is there any clear protective covers (perspex or laminated glass) that i can place over the panel so that a rock or branch doesn't break the glass protecting the panel itself?
3) I have a wired in "smart charger" feeding the deep cycle battery in the rear totally independent from the two car batteries--thus do I need to disconnect this system so I dont backfeed the solar panel and loose my sparkle and everything go bang?

Enough for now
Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

roof mounted permanent solar charger.. Empty Re: roof mounted permanent solar charger..

Post by gcause Mon 30 Jan 2012, 7:46 pm

Hey Oneday,

1) check this link that explains angles http://www.solarchoice.net.au/blog/solar-panel-tilt-and-orientation-in-australia/

2) most solar panels are made with tempered glass or perspex covers designed to meet a standard that says it has to resist a 1inch diameter hail stone travelling at 50 miles per hour

Check this link:

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/64291/Protecting_van_top_solar_panels_from_hail.aspx

3) Are you near a Jaycar, they sell all this stuff and offer free advice on how to do solar setups.
You can get a reasonable setup quite cheap these days.

Back to top Go down

roof mounted permanent solar charger.. Empty Re: roof mounted permanent solar charger..

Post by Panther Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:27 am

Hi oneday69 I am getting a home solar system. It has been ordered and it comes with a little handheld bluetooth monitor device that shows how much it is producing. This was thrown in free so they can't be worth too much.
If you have one of these I guess you could adjust your angle for maximum output very easily. The system I got is through Energy Matters so you may be able to find details there or on line somewhere. Apart from that, most systems seem to be mounted around the 45 degree mark.

http://www.energymatters.com.au/sma-sunny-beam-wireless-monitor-p-396.html

Can also be linked in to your puter.
Looks like it can only be used with SMA inverters sorry....

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash100456 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:10 am

G'day Oneday69 & Panther, My solar installer told me optimum for panels is face north & 30 degree angle for us in the southern lattitudes. I have 2 x 105Ah batteries coupled to 2 x 120w roof mounted solar panels ( Laying flat ) on our caravan & it works a treat, even though not angled to the sun they are never charging all day long back to the batteries, usually around 2-3 hours and batteries are fully re-charged and not accepting anymore charge even though the guage still shows a healthy amps rating being produced from the sun. Panther you will love the solar on your house, Ours was fitted out in April last year, A 4.1kw system with that bluetooth monitor, Power account is way in credit
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaw Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:31 pm

Is this a trick question? The angle to mount a panel on a car?
Does the car intend on moving? Or are you gonna drive into the sunset forever? Laughing
Bolt it down flat mate, its the best way. You may miss a bit int the morning or avo, but make up for it during mid day.
Makaw
Makaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:04 pm

hahahaha now there's bloody Logic for ya, good one Maka Razz Razz

Thought it was a bit of a curved ball me self mate Very Happy

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:00 pm

I have mine mounted on the front of the canopy, and just face the sun when out bush. (60W)

roof mounted permanent solar charger.. P1340766

The one on my c/van (130W) is hinged and is able to tilt during the winter months when the sun is at a lower angle.
I used 30x30 aluminum angle on one side of the panel which is pop-riveted to the van roof that holds the hinged side of the panel.
The other side in the pic below shows the two rubber door stoppers mounted to the panel that sits on the roof edge and the lock, that holds it down during traveling.
Have not yet mounted the small pole that holds the panel at angle during the winter months, when you'll need it most when your out bush...... I'll do it l8tron. Laughing

roof mounted permanent solar charger.. P1340767

Also running 2x cranking batteries, however one sits in the back near the fridge battery.
The solar system is independent from the cranking batteries and no need to disconnect anything while all are functioning.
Solar battery (100Ahr) is charged through the Manson smart charger SB-7120, which runs the fridge and all the stuff you would normally run/charge from 12v.
This is the first summer iv had the system working full time, and the fridge in the truck is used constantly as a freezer. The need to keep it facing the sun in winter is a must as your sun/Watt hrs depends upon it more so than in summer when the panel works fine lying flat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:02 am

Thanks for all your replies..
The reason for the angle of the dangle was that I use my car to go to work as well as play, and when i park up near the workshop thought I would face north and try to optimise the sun to the fullest.
Running a 450 AH deep cycle battery in the tray separate from the cranking batteries under the bonnet.

regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down