Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drinking Water

+2
Moneybox
pilko
6 posters

Go down

Drinking Water Empty Drinking Water

Post by Bignuggs Thu 15 Mar 2018, 9:07 pm

something I've never bothered checking as I always take enough water with me when I camp out. But here's my question.
Is there a kit available that can test water to see if it's drinkable ?
Cheers

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Drinking Water Empty Re: Drinking Water

Post by Nightjar Fri 16 Mar 2018, 8:05 am

Some info here Cliff, the bottom line is if you are unsure boil the water first.

http://www.dummies.com/sports/camping/purifying-the-water-while-camping/

Drinking Water Signature2

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrock Fri 16 Mar 2018, 8:16 am

Try these guys, I always carry one

http://www.testkits.com.au/

Hotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Fri 16 Mar 2018, 8:55 am

I'm not worried about the bugs in most water we find but I'm concerned about the chemicals left by mining. Sometimes I'd like to dive in to freshen up but those big beautiful holes in the old minesites might be toxic. If we can't see fish we stay clear.

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko Fri 16 Mar 2018, 9:34 am

Hi Moneybox....usually chemicals left by Mother Nature rather than intentionally by mining

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Fri 16 Mar 2018, 2:10 pm

pilko wrote:Hi Moneybox....usually chemicals left by Mother Nature rather than intentionally by mining

We spent a week around Mt Magnet last November. The locals told us that they swim in the old mine holes just north of the dump. They are closed off by rock bunds and a fence but apparently that's no deternant Very Happy

There are some beautiful water holes left by mining companies right across the country. The water nearly always looks inviting especially when the temperature is over the top. I don't know how safe they are to swim in or use for drinking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrubby Fri 16 Mar 2018, 5:32 pm

just curious mate, is the water for yourself or Towser? LOL Drinking Water 3179412840

Scrubby

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 16 Mar 2018, 9:16 pm

Scrubby wrote: just curious mate, is the water for yourself or Towser? LOL     Drinking Water 3179412840

I don't drink water, it's bad enough having to wash in the stuff.  It's for the dog lol!

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sat 17 Mar 2018, 6:59 am

pilko wrote:Hi Moneybox....usually chemicals left by Mother Nature rather than intentionally by mining

Take a look at the bush land (death valley) on the hidden West side of the old Teutonic Nickel mine on the Goldfields HWY north of Leonora and make up your own mind whether this is Mother Nature at work? (I think not)

Drinking Water Signature2

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrock Mon 19 Mar 2018, 5:49 pm

Be careful swimming in old pits if they are down to the bluerock which is sulphides. Some of it is what we know as PAF (potential acid forming) and nowadays we have to encapsulate the sulphide waste in a bund of oxides which is a pain to construct the wastedumps.

The worst I have come across was at Cosmo Howley in the NT, the Ph of the water there was 2.0!! and in the wet the containment dam floods and it ends up in the Daly River, used to eat any non stainless pumps out in days.

Some pits are contain fresh water although the bulk are hypersaline. There was a pit at Wiluna South (also called Eons or Matilda) called Coles Find, beautiful fresh water and perfect in the middle of summer after being on the shot crew, was also full of yabbys. It was surrounded with about 7 other pits that were hypersaline!

Hotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down