Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help from Kalgoorlie members

5 posters

Go down

Need help from Kalgoorlie members  Empty Need help from Kalgoorlie members

Post by Bignuggs Thu 11 Jan 2018, 9:05 pm

This is not gold related but just as important.
There is some mongrel in Kalgoorlie poisoning dogs.  some weeks back the mother and sister of my dog were poisoned.
There was apparently a story on the GWN7 news about it and it's now being broadcast via Facebook to try and catch the mongrel who did it.
As the old saying goes, loose lips sink ships.  Sooner of later someone will let it slip what they did.  I dont' care if it's rumour or just a whisper, please let the Police in Kalgoorlie know about it.  The Kal Police and the Kal council rangers are all aware of it.
you should see the story on this link and I believe their will be an article in the Kalgoorlie Miner.

https://www.facebook.com/gwn7news/?hc_ref=ARRC2iwPJIgxXbjAduKQhMVuwxQg6Fuc_tnuM9qfyTUU_GV88_xw482efBPmDFQo844&pnref=story

They are rare dogs in Australia and my boy is one of them.  Please spread the story to anyone you know in Kalgoorlie/Boulder, we have to catch the mongrel who did it.

Cheers from me and Oscar

Need help from Kalgoorlie members  1910
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Need help from Kalgoorlie members  Empty Re: Need help from Kalgoorlie members

Post by Wedgetail Sun 14 Jan 2018, 7:40 am

Cliff,

I can't be much help in finding the villain but I can say that this type of dog baiting in towns is not uncommon around WA Goldfields. Several ago years it happened frequently in Leonora and many innocent dogs, some on leads, were killed. The police sergeant at the time even lost his German Shepherd and it was in his back yard!! Locals knew who was responsible and so do I but we couldn't prove anything. Hint - 1080 bait is a controlled substance,,,,,,

One major contributor to the dog pack problem is one we all see in Goldfields towns and that is dogs with no collar, no lead and apparently no owner. I'm sure we all know who they belong to! So it's easy to see how and why town baiting is happening - the dogs that add to the pack problem are coming from towns and end up breeding half breed dingo/domestics. They are worse than the dingo as they have no fear of humans. But that makes them easy targets for a rifle. Unfortunately, our own dogs are viewed in that light as well.

I did read somewhere that an antidote was being developed for 1080 and that may eventually help. The hard part now is that they mix the 1080 with strychnine. That practice was banned many years ago but has been re-introduced as a result of the explosion in the dog population out there.

I lost my little Aussie Silky to cancer a cuppla years ago and I'd never have another dog after him. They attract trouble in the bush despite being under control etc. Life is easier without a dog out there. I'm also sorry to inform prospectors with dogs out there that it is actually illegal to take a dog onto a pastoral station without permission. For years I thought differently and argued that in govt discussions. But only in the last few weeks, I've been obliged to study The Dog Act as a result of correspondence received from Minara Pastoral regarding Access Agreements. Despite my best "interpretative" efforts I can find no way around the fact that dogs are banned on stations unless they are working dogs. I can provide the extract from The Dog Act is anyone wants it.

Other than that, all I can say is that your dog is a cracker, a beautiful animal. So best take very good care of it out if you take it bush. 1080 is like a snow carpet out there and pastoralists have a right to regard the dog as feral and vermin, i.e that implies a right to shoot a dog if it's seen "away from camp and not under control of the owner". I'm certain they would carry that out without a second thought. I don't like our situation on this but I can understand the pastoralist's argument here and when all said & done "the law is the law". The beef industry is becoming a big money earner these days and mining companies are getting into it - think Andrew Forrest and Gina Rhinehart as well as Glencore (Minara). That last station has recently purchased several prime bulls to increase the herd on the stations they own and manage. So they are now placing more emphasis on protecting their beef assets and we suffer as a consequence.

HTH

W

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 14 Jan 2018, 1:38 pm

Thanks for your comments Les. The dogs were in their own backyard in town, not far from the council office at the overnight stay park.
You raise a good point about who has access to 1080 and at the moment I happen to be in a position to find out. I'll see what info I can get.
as for the Dog Act of 1976,

https://www.slp.wa.gov.au/pco/prod/filestore.nsf/FileURL/mrdoc_29767.pdf/$FILE/Dog%20Act%201976%20-%20%5B06-c0-02%5D.pdf?OpenElement

I couldn't find anything that said you can't take a dog onto a pastoral lease. If you do, it has to be in or on a vehicle or restrained and not running loose or the pastoralist has a right to shoot your dog if it is running free and harassing stock. If I'm wrong then please correct me. It is also illegal to use 1080 within town limits so, someone with access could possibly be the culprit.
I do understand the issue with domestic dogs interbreeding with the dingo and here's a bit of trivia told to me by a station owner. they didn't mind the wild dogs as they reckoned it kept the roo and goat problem down, go figure that out. and there is a witness to back up what they said. And to make the situation worse for them, they had lost 2 of their non working dogs to baits.
either way, the Ahole who poisoned the dogs needs to be caught, charged and prosecuted according to the law.
those dogs are a rare breed in Australia. Now there is only Dad and his 13 pups left. it can cost somewhere between $15K to $25K to import one into this country, and that isn't cheap.
It devastated the breeder who bought his dogs into Oz to start the breed and I don't apologize for being totally P*ssed off that there is some low life piece of scum roaming free in Kal who poisoned 2 good dogs.

Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Sun 14 Jan 2018, 2:49 pm

Cliff,

You're technically correct about this - "If you do, it has to be in or on a vehicle or restrained and not running loose". But lets be honest, would we take a dog onto a station and stick to the exact letter of that law. I know I wouldn't as it wouldn't be fair on the animal. Next thing, we let him out and next thing we're in the wrong. Next thing, he gets shot maybe? God forbid.

My take on it is that I wouldn't take the dog with me. But it's fine for me to say that as I no longer have a dog. However, my little mate went everywhere with me for 15 great years and never even barked at a cow! He was that laid back, he couldn't be bothered!

Anyway, I'll find the section of the Dog Act and put it up here. I may help avoid a tragedy.

W

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko Sun 14 Jan 2018, 3:14 pm

Good luck finding out who threw the bait...it will never happen.  Don't forget that up here we all have access to baits one way or another. They are kept on racks on stations for some time after being injected and there is no security.

Here is something a bit left field and I have an article coming out in GG&T that mentions this. 8km up the Old Agnew Rd (just North of Leonora) is a 2.5 square km bit of dirt known as Crown Reserve R17899. It is set aside as water and camping and falls on the Peak Hill Stock Route.....what this means is that it is not on any Pastoral Station.......and so I believe this means that you can take your mate there and tell the local 'pastoralist' to bugger off if he comes to harass you. It's good open camping and there is actually widespread gold enrichment through the area...that means if you do a lot of walking you can usually ping a couple.

There will still be baits around...and if you bring dogs up here without being muzzled then your a Dick.

PS..it's all VCL so no probs with detecting.

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 14 Jan 2018, 4:15 pm

I can honestly say, I don't let my boy run loose. He is either left in the vehicle or tied to it.
I'm paranoid about baits and snakes so I keep an eye on my dog and make sure he's always under control.
Yep, might never find the mongrel who did the deed but, you have to try.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sun 14 Jan 2018, 5:40 pm

Cliff,
No doubt your big boy has grown out of our boys muzzle by now.
Don't take any risks, probably safer to leave him home, one lapse of concentration and he'll have a bait or snake bite.

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 14 Jan 2018, 6:40 pm

Nightjar wrote:Cliff,
No doubt your big boy has grown out of our boys muzzle by now.
Don't take any risks, probably safer to leave him home, one lapse of concentration and he'll have a bait or snake bite.

He Peter,
Probably would be best to leave him home but boarding kennels are not cheap. I tried it once for 3 days, cheaper to take him with me. I keep a watch on him, he's never out of my sight and he can always see where I am.
Funny you should ask about the muzzle, it never did fit his big head lol!
so if you would like it back let me know or unless someone with a Labrador size dog can contact me and I'll pass it on.

cheers
Cliff
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sun 14 Jan 2018, 8:05 pm

Hi Cliff,
No we have no need for it now, will never have another lab. They threw the mold away when they made our boy.
Think I mentioned you can drill out the pop rivets and let the straps out to fit most size heads then fit new pop rivets.

Cheers

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiv Mon 15 Jan 2018, 7:29 am

Wedgetail wrote:
I did read somewhere that an antidote was being developed for 1080 and that may eventually help. The hard part now is that they mix the 1080 with strychnine. That practice was banned many years ago but has been re-introduced as a result of the explosion in the dog population out there.
W
All most true with strychnine, only allowed to use strychnine on the trap jaw. the days of carcase bait with strychnine is band.
1080 is synthetically made these days and if you catch your pet early enough after the bait was taken you can have a good chance of survival but out in the bush is hard to keep alive because dog naturally get excited just to see old mate come to say good day. If you can keep your dog very calm and watered the body can process the toxins out. My dog took about 3 months to recover from baiting then the silly bugger took on the wrong bull and lost.
there is still no real cure for 1080, best case is to keep heart rate low and lots of water and get help. There is many cases of human 1080 poising and they have survived and have given feed back on what it is like, 1080 poison they all said no pain just sleepyness , I hope they catch the bugger that is doing this act of town baiting, losing your 4 legged mate bloody hurts deep.

Chiv

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down