Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

handheld gps

+7
geof_junk
Nightjar
cadian
Moneybox
purple-dragon
NuggieDreamer
Selfy
11 posters

Go down

handheld gps Empty handheld gps

Post by Selfy Tue 03 May 2016, 7:59 pm

what are people using, whats good, whats not
there are so many available now with all sorts of gadjets and gizmos
all i want it do is connect to the computer to download google earth gps points
and to be able to find the bl00dy car again cheers

cheers Selfy

Selfy

Back to top Go down

handheld gps Empty Re: handheld gps

Post by NuggieDreamer Wed 04 May 2016, 5:10 am

Reckon the best GPS for prospecting is the Garmin Rhino 650

Maps are easily uploadable to the device - standard USB connection to PC using PC software
Easy to use common Garmin GPS format (saves in GPX format Tracks WayPoints) can import straight to Google Earth from downloaded location on PC,
has back track (so you can find where you started from, trail left on screen as you go)
has built in 1-5W UHF Radio (no need to carry both)
has ability to pair with other Garmin Rhino's (can see where the other unit is on the screen)
has the ability to text message or code frequency voice over radio to other unit (for stealth comms)
excellent battery life (if radio is turned off on unit when not in use)
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon Wed 04 May 2016, 1:03 pm

I use a Garmin Etrex-I actually carry two of them due to a mistake I made a while back only carrying one-I hit the MOB (man overboard) function when I left the vehicle but didnt bother to check if it registered and it didnt-extreme cloud cover that day-so now I MOB both before I go swinging as that day finding my way back was touch and go and I left the bloody epirb in the ute and only had 2 litres in my camelbak-the little Garmins are cheap and tough and run forever on two batteries-the model I have is before they did the upgrade and put the toggle on the screen just to make them harder to use-Dragon
purple-dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Wed 04 May 2016, 2:02 pm

We usually park right on the spot where we swing because we don't go for too long without a cuppa. We carry a little CB each radio just so we can stay in touch all the time and if we're heading off out of sight of the vehicle we have a couple of little Garmins. The Oregon 550 is a better GPS that can take photos and is loaded with topo maps but it's much heavier and the batteries struggle to make it through the day. The Etrax 20 is a great little unit to carry but the compass is designed to get you lost. The Etrax is my preference if I take off on a long walk because it's battery is a lot better and you don't even feel it in you pocket. If we're both heading out we waymark the vehicle and then turn the GPS's off, that way we don't have to worry about battery life. The PLB usually stays with the vehicle but if Sandra is likely to be heading out on her own somewhere I'll ask her to take it.

Back to top Go down

Post by cadian Wed 04 May 2016, 3:50 pm

I am now using the Etrax 10, the only problem is with the toggle , it keeps putting in extra way points every time you move around.  handheld gps 729094268  I have overcome this problem by switching over to the satellite box after I have set the waypoint  because it  will not register if it is knocked. I used to the old model Etrax  handheld gps 4066623196  which was great, but they are longer available.
Cheers Dave.  qwk;ec
cadian
cadian

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed 04 May 2016, 4:30 pm

NuggieDreamer wrote:Reckon the best GPS for prospecting is the Garmin Rhino 650

Maps are easily uploadable to the device - standard USB connection to PC using PC software
Easy to use common Garmin GPS format (saves in GPX format Tracks WayPoints) can import straight to Google Earth from downloaded location on PC,
has back track (so you can find where you started from, trail left on screen as you go)
has ability to pair with other Garmin Rhino's (can see where the other unit is on the screen)
has the ability to text message or code frequency voice over radio to other unit (for stealth comms)

gpost a;SCAQ
Only drama was first trip after purchase we didn't calibrate after driving a 1000 k's and the compass was 180° out.

handheld gps Signature2

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by geof_junk Wed 04 May 2016, 5:13 pm

NuggieDreamer wrote:Reckon the best GPS for prospecting is the Garmin Rhino 650

I have 3 Rhinos (my son has the 4th of 2 pairs)since the day the were released Great combination equipment. I have all my nuggets finds(1000,s) all historical gold mines as well as my bushwalking and kayaking trips saved as POI and tracks saved on them. GPS have come a long way since my first 2 channel multiplex Magellan and the 3 up grades I did before the Rhinos

geof_junk

Back to top Go down

Post by Selfy Fri 06 May 2016, 6:42 pm

thanks for all the input/replies
i picked up a garmin gpsmap 64 today, still trying to figure out how to use it scratch scratch handheld gps 452991977

Selfy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 06 May 2016, 8:05 pm

A few years back I bought a Garmin Oregan 550T from the US (when we was dollar for dollar).  Good little unit but it came loaded with US maps.  deleted them but haven't got around to loading OZ maps yet as I never use it.  Buggered if I know why I bought it haha but I love my toys  Very Happy
Thing that got me was, soon as you turn it on and mark a starting waypoint, it follows you and makes a traceable track until you stop it.  So you can't get lost.
I did test it when I first got it, it was a good little piece of gear.  
JMO

Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 May 2016, 5:34 am

If you want a basic easy to learn and use handheld gps, then the Garmin Geko is the way to go, I have several of these and other more bulky and expensive gps units as well, but I still prefer of use one of these when just detecting as they are small, compact and as they have only four menu pages you can not go wrong with it.

As far as downloading data to the computer I have not tried it but I have seen data cables for sale for some Geko models so I assume that you probably could do this, I have bought several off a seller on eBay for friends who now use them as well off, if you don't want anything complicated and something that is easy to navigate then have a look at these.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garmin-Geko-101-GPS-Track-Navigator-w-Carry-Pouch-Lthm-Batts-Security-Etched-/130596895774?hash=item1e682e7c1e:g:~sgAAOSwY45USGl7

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Fri 13 May 2016, 10:21 am

I used a Garmin Geko 201 for several years until the LCD screen faded out and it couldn’t be repaired. I would have bought another 201, but they were no longer in production. Pity, because it was a terrific little GPS.

I use a free software program called Easy GPS to upload waypoints. It’s a lot easier to set up a list of waypoints on the PC than it is enter them individually on the GPS.

If anyone has a use for it, they can have USB data cable that I used with the 201.

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Fri 13 May 2016, 1:40 pm

We have two Etrex H. Very simple to use but they don't make them anymore. You can still pick them up on Ebay. They would have to be the simplest to use I'm sure.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by whipmassa Thu 26 May 2016, 3:52 pm

I've owned about 6 or 7 GPS's. Most of the devices I was unhappy with the exception of the Silva Multinavigator which is now discontinued. I have now invested in a Garmin 680T. This is a very expensive unit but I can tell you its worth every cent. This is by far the best GPS I've owned. This unit is so sensitive and accurate. It works under the heaviest cannopies.If you can afford the Garmin 680t you will not regret buying it.
whipmassa
whipmassa

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Thu 26 May 2016, 6:56 pm

My wife was using her Samsung S3 smart phone as a camera, on a helicopter flight out of Jabiru in Kakadu. As she poked it out the window, it got sucked out of the phone cover, into the slipstream, and fell to the ground. At 900 feet altitude and 130kph across the ground we thought we hand no chance of finding it. The following day, armed with our trusty Garmin Etrex H ($99 at Dick Smiths at the time), we ventured across about 5 tributaries of the Magela Creek system, through the spear grass and swamps, to the GPS co-ords we got off the "Lookout" phone security app. My 13 year old Grand son, leading the search, stopped, turned around and said to me, "It should be around here Papa." I looked at him and next to his left foot was my wifes Samsung S3 sitting on the dirt. It was unmarked and still working fine apparently the fall was broken by the spear grass. It was Mothers Day 2014 and she was very happy to get her phone back.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down