Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metal detecting with garrett at pro

3 posters

Go down

Metal detecting with garrett at pro Empty Metal detecting with garrett at pro

Post by Jack Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:15 pm

i make heaps of videos, is my way of remembering where and when i found things, i do also now use the minelab iphone app to record where i finding stuff.
so will just put coin videos on here from the days when i finding more than my normal amount of coins.
Jack
Jack

Back to top Go down

Metal detecting with garrett at pro Empty Re: Metal detecting with garrett at pro

Post by Bignuggs Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:28 pm

G'day Jack,

what do you use to clean the copper coins. I've used CLR, gets them clean but a coin dealer in Perth tells me if stuffs them. He suggested rubbing them with olive oil,, haven't tried that yet but it sounds a bit weird.

cheers
Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Metal detecting with garrett at pro Empty Re: Metal detecting with garrett at pro

Post by Guest Wed 25 Jan 2012, 2:19 pm

Before cleaning any coin you should determine if it has a value, if it does then don't clean it!!!!

If your coin is worthless then you may want to clean it for a showcase etc.

A few ways to clean coins would be, soak in olive oil for a few days, set up a simple electrolysis tub, clr, use a soft pencil rubber and rub the coin with it in a circular motion, dip the coin in tomato sauce and lightly rub it with a soft cloth, or simply soap and water.....and the Aldi ultrasonic cleaner is always a handy tool.

Back to top Go down

Metal detecting with garrett at pro Empty clr

Post by Jack Thu 26 Jan 2012, 8:40 am

a few forums saying use the clr.
i been using cloudy ammonia in a old condensed milk tin, stand coins up in it, the bottom of that can is rilled. soak for a beer or two, wake up next morning surround by empty beer cans and race back to check coins. wow nice and clean.
some do turn black that way, only some, you will know which ones if you check after 10 minutes in the mix. leave mix a hour see how they looking. also when removed from mix, i wash them under a running cold water tap, rubbing them down with fingers.
Jack
Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by gcause Thu 26 Jan 2012, 3:43 pm

Put them in a glass of coca cola and see how shiny they come out overnight.

It also makes a great flux if you are soldering.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum