Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bush fires south of Perth

+6
Bignuggs
Nightjar
gold n beer
Ian226
stalker
cruiser1
10 posters

Go down

Bush fires south of Perth Empty Bush fires south of Perth

Post by cruiser1 Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:12 am

Just wondering how many members of the forum are being affected by the fires in the south west.Last I heard was poor buggers in Yarloop were copping it real bad.
Lets hope it gets sorted real quick and there is no loss of life.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Bush fires south of Perth Empty Re: Bush fires south of Perth

Post by stalker Fri 08 Jan 2016, 2:36 pm

only way south is coalfields hyway ,, worst fires I've seen in many years ,
stalker
stalker

Back to top Go down

Bush fires south of Perth Empty Bushfires South of Perth

Post by Ian226 Fri 08 Jan 2016, 3:08 pm

I live in Allanson which is 8kms from Collie, the traffic on Coalfields Hwy with all those on holidays returning to Perth will be horrendous as when going to Collie it took over 1/2 hour to get there. Also there is road works occurring on the road as well so I can see some stressed out drivers.

The wind is calm at the moment however late yesterday and this morning we are getting ash landing all around from the fire.

I can only feel sadness for those in Yarloop as 95 homes destroyed which is 90% of the town, just hope no lives get lost.

Ian

Ian226

Back to top Go down

Post by gold n beer Fri 08 Jan 2016, 3:33 pm

it's looking very nasty down that way, i was travelling the s/west highway only a few days ago.
let's hope the destruction is limited from here on and no lives are lost, it has virtually wiped out a township.
it's like a lucky dip when summer arrives, whose lives are going to be turned upside down this year.
i have family down that way in safe zone area's but you wouldn't want to be a asthma sufferer with all the ash and smoke in the air.
wishing all affected the best

jase
gold n beer
gold n beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri 08 Jan 2016, 5:15 pm

Very serious situation and it is a miracle no human life has been lost however the toll is high for birds and animals.
The belief is authorities are listening to the bleating minority who complain about the smoke and ash aggravating their health.
A few brief coughs, running noses and eye irritation fades into oblivion when you think of the devastation Yarloop residents are going through and recent Esperance tragedies, Margaret River and all the others in years gone bye across our country.
Not forgetting the hundreds of fire fighters who risk life and limbs.

That poor old fella on last nights news in a broken down state talking about his 50 year old home gone.

50 years ago in early April I climbed the "lookout trees", (Diamond Tree was one) dotted around the SW, they were manned to keep a look out for bushfires. While atop of the Diamond Tree I could see smoke in many directions and asked the fella on duty whether he was concerned?
His reply was, "Don't worry about those they are the settlers doing "cool burns."
This I believe is the one main problem in this day and age.
Cool burns should be reintroduced!
Of course this will fall on deaf ears because no sooner has the ash settled and homes rebuilt the next generation will be here and they would have a dumb look on their faces if you asked about the devastating fires across the land.
Take a drive around the Darling Range to the East of Perth which is a major hot spot that will, with out doubt, be the scenes of massive destruction in the near future.
Take a drive around Dunsborough, Yallingup & Margret River (devastated only a few years ago) to see the build up of understory below the thick bush.
The list goes on and on and our fearless leaders in their protected glass houses don't want to rock the boat and upset their seats.

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 08 Jan 2016, 5:59 pm

CALM or what ever they are called now, used to do controlled burn offs. But the bloody greenies ended that.
Even FESA have stated quite a few times that the hills surrounding Armadale will go again and we know what happened the last time.
It has also been proved that the big reason our dams are getting less water is due to the build up of the undergrowth and leaf litter restricting run off but they won't do burn offs anymore as it upsets the locals and the farqin greenies.
Just my opinion
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Fri 08 Jan 2016, 7:31 pm

My comment might not be relevant to the current situation but I believe that there is a serious problem with the planning approvals.

Some years back we took a drive down to Molloy Island near Augusta. They showed us several 1/2 acre blocks with a half a dozen tall trees marked as the building envelope. After these few trees were removed and a house built there was absolutely no room for any sort of fire brake. To remove any more greenery than the trees marked was breaking the law.

We decided that we couldn't live with the fire risk so chose to not buy on the island. If they continue to build on small bush blocks without room for fire brakes these sorts of devastation will continue. Most of the problems occur in the hills around our coastal cities.
Moneybox
Moneybox

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sat 09 Jan 2016, 5:26 pm

It must be only a matter of time before someone who loses property, stock or heaven forbid family will challenge in court the discontinuation of "controlled/cool burns."
By law private property must be protected by fire breaks and reasonable measures taken to be "fire safe", why is crown land exempted?

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by thedigger Sat 09 Jan 2016, 7:53 pm

Once a upon a time the farmers used to get out with the local brigade and burn the sides of roads in Vic,well they stoped that.
Another thing is they want people to plant native plants,well look around have a look at all them right up close to houses,that is asking for trouble.
Has to be a rethink on burning the bush.
Regards Frank

thedigger

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sat 09 Jan 2016, 11:40 pm

We took the opportunity today to clean out our wardrobes. We took out bags of good used clothes, suits and shoes that we haven't worn for ages. A local lady in Capel put together a collection for the fire victims so hopefully some will appreciate them.
Moneybox
Moneybox

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty Sun 10 Jan 2016, 7:14 am

Bignuggs wrote:CALM or what ever they are called now, used to do controlled burn offs.  But the bloody greenies ended that.
Even FESA have stated quite a few times that the hills surrounding Armadale will go again and we know what happened the last time.
It has also been proved that the big reason our dams are getting less water is due to the build up of the undergrowth and leaf litter restricting run off but they won't do burn offs anymore as it upsets the locals and the farqin greenies.
Just my opinion

Hey Cliff, another reason for low runoff is Alcoas mining operations are in the water catchment areas and in the rehab process the mining pits are all contoured to prevent water runoff into the forest as this causes turbidity (dirty water) go on google earth and have a look at these areas, around Serpentine, North Dandalup, South Dandalup,Samson Brook and Waroona Dam.ps around Serpentine and South Dandalup it's not so obvious where the pits were as the forest has regrown but they were very extensive around these dams.

Last edited by shorty on Sun 10 Jan 2016, 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update info)
shorty
shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by Golditch Sun 10 Jan 2016, 10:16 pm

Hey shorty,
Personally I don't know what Alcoa do with rehab but I work for another company that mines the same way they do. I'm not sure in your knowledge of the rehab guidlines that the mining companies do around the southwest but this region have one of the strictest ones I have seen in mining. The invoromental regs make sure things are placed back as close as they can to the original state. Also from experience of surface mining in this area they spend a hell of a lot on the rehab more than production mining costs. I think with the topogatphy of wa(sw) more emergency assistance like air support and control burns will be the best thing to point too.

Golditch

Back to top Go down

Post by Golditch Sun 10 Jan 2016, 10:18 pm

Environmental sorry guys .... Bloody auto spelling !

Golditch

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sun 07 Feb 2016, 10:54 pm

This weekend we went bottle hunting east of Yarloop where the fires passed through.

Bush fires south of Perth New_ja10

Nature has had just one month to fight back.

Bush fires south of Perth Jarrah10

You can see by the lack of ground cover this fire burned everything but the jarrah is fighting back.

Bush fires south of Perth New_bl10

Stands of blackboys are sprouting new leaves.

Bush fires south of Perth Blackb10

This flowering blackboy must have seen many bushfires over the last hundred years or so.

Bush fires south of Perth Blackb11

There's not much life out here but these flowers are covered with bees.

It's not a very nice environment to be out in right now but there's potential for it to be lovely and green within a few months.
Moneybox
Moneybox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:59 am

Great photo's

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down