Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I find this very interesting

2 posters

Go down

I find this very interesting Empty I find this very interesting

Post by Guest Sun 22 Jan 2012, 4:42 am

With all the people supposedly still using VLF machines on the goldfields, how come we don't hear of or see pictures of any gold finds with them?

Robert

Back to top Go down

I find this very interesting Empty Re: I find this very interesting

Post by Guest Sun 22 Jan 2012, 4:55 am

good point goldnomad, i have a mate with a white gmt and i'v been out with him and he has walked over that much gold. i just follow him and pick up what he's walked over. so why don't we see posts off the white findings if they are such a great detector?
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Jan 2012, 5:18 am

We dont see them because they're no good over here in WA like all VLF's have always been,
they struggle on the harsh ground, sure we used to all have one many moons ago but only
because there was nothin else to swing besides your hook.

Most of the VLF action these days is done over east where the ground is a lot less mineralised
and its mainly done by newbs who either cant afford or wont spend the decent dosh for a top
machine, im sorry to say that the day of the old VLF/TR detector has long gone here anyway.

There are some exceptions to the above for piss farting around, and they are the GB2 and the
Whites Gold Master Trackers, but dont expect more than 6" max depth on larger bits and be
prepared to twiddle nobs all bloody day for the crumbs you Might get.

Pulse induction all the way, and like "Detectoraid" chris says, the 5000 is a GB2 killer with
nearly 5ft depth capability on huge dabs.

Pete

Back to top Go down

I find this very interesting Empty Re. I find this very interesting

Post by michael740 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 6:26 am

It a catch 22 really. As a newbie I couldn't afford or justify spending a few thousand on a detector just in case I didnt continue with the hobby and risk a loss trying to sell the unit. I am also very wary of buying second hand things as you really never know what you are getting. I bought a Eureka Gold as I was told it is minelabs best VLF machine for finding gold. Whether this is correct or not I would not really know and have to trust the advice given.
This is where the problem arises, I know I have no hope of finding the same level of targets that the PI machines will, but I am a realist and I am happy to find relics and just maybe some gold.
I would imagine to find gold with a VLF it would have to be virgin ground (does that exist in Victoria) and after the the VLF got the shallow stuff the PI machines could come along and get the deep stuff.
I realise the topic of this post is not to shitcan VLF machines and it is a fact with most things you get what you pay for hence the price of PI machines. I am happy with my purchase for now and will detect for years to come and with a couple of less stubies a day and some scrimping and saving I will be swinging a PI in the not to distant future and hopefully have a bit of knowledge to use it.
On a sad personal note my winch has crapped it,s self and I have to test it and see if it is the winch or the solenoid, either way it is money 🇳🇴
michael740
michael740

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Jan 2012, 7:50 am

Gday Michael

I would suggest for the Minelab Eureka gold that you try to find similar ground as you see Stoppsy
working in his videos, "Pipeclay" types, you will only find them on old diggings and surfaced areas in
most states and they are the quietest areas to operate a VLF on.

They can have countless small very thin nuggets on them in shallow >3" depths, depending on your area
there are usually a few Pipeclay diggins on most Vic fields, the Pipeclay is the decomposed Kaolinised
bed rock and is very low in mineralization compared to other ground types so its ideal hunting grounds
for the VLF's.
No doubt you will have the 10x5DD Blue coil on your Eureka, so i would suggest you run in the 60khz
frequency for highest sensitivity, Balance on Slow Track, Signal on Normal, Mode on "All Metal", and
Sensitivity on 90%, you are better off running the Tone in a high level as it makes the smaller targets
sound more Zippy and stand out better, Threshold on a very slight hum and make sure to use
Headphones also.

There are some good shallow surfaced areas at Castlemaine and Vaughan just sth of there.
Vaughan Pipeclay diggings HERE
Hit link then hit the search button again once page opens, its the green arrow.

Try to look for areas like these with light colored ground.

I find this very interesting Victoria2
I find this very interesting Wedd2s

Good luck Michael & keep us up to speed ay Very Happy

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by jackal60 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:16 am

Morning guys.

In regards to Roberts initial question,"How come we don't hear of or see pictures of any gold finds with them",i believe is because most the so called six inch depth mark on the majority of good looking,shallow prospecting ground has simply been depleted.Gone are the days where one could go for a swing to say in Castlemain Vic,for instance,before the introduction of Minelab pulse,and average 2/3 grams of gold per day.I for one was lucky enough to see those times,they simply don't exist no more.There are of course some old die hards that still believe that the old VLFs such as that of the original 19khz Gold Bug or GB2 or Whites Goldmaster V/Sats or current line GMT can still play a role in terms of finding gold that the GPX series might miss,but this is more in terms of wishful thinking and sentimental value due to past experiences.I've compared my mates 5000 connected to a small coil such as that of an 8x6 NF mono to a GB2 with a 6.5 inch coil,on a 0.1 gram color and the air tests revealed almost 2 inches air depth with the Bug as compared to just over 3 inches on the 5000.Mind you the 5000 and small 8x6 mono originally picked this 0.1 color in an old undisturbed clay heap at an amazing 5 inches depth whereas the GB2 couldn't hear the actual signal till we got half way down to the target.
My apologies if I've strayed a little off the original topic thread guys but,i felt i had to get my 2 bobs worth in.
Thanks guys,jakal60
jackal60
jackal60

Back to top Go down

Post by michael740 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 10:23 am

Thank you very much CRAZY PETE, I will definately try those settings and find the dirt you suggest. Unfortunately the link didnt work for me but I will find the Vaughan Pipeclay diggings on google earth and give it a go, I cant get out for a couple of weeks but looking forward to it.
Once again thanks a heap.
Michael.
michael740
michael740

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Jan 2012, 11:38 am

Glad to help mate Very Happy

Here's the spot. Wink

I find this very interesting Vaughan-1

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:25 pm

Pete, that's not the road that has the two tonne load limit on it is it?

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:03 pm

Thats the one Robert so ya better only take 1.99 ton o gold at a time ay Razz Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:37 pm

Yeah... know it well Pete. I went down there 4 years agoand didn't get past the signpost. My Landcruiser weighed 3 tonnes. Razz Razz Razz affraid

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down