Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do we stay and wait or take off quick

+3
Moneybox
martinjsto
Bignuggs
7 posters

Go down

Do we stay and wait or take off quick Empty Do we stay and wait or take off quick

Post by Bignuggs Sat 11 Jul 2015, 10:47 am

Well got to the spot Thursday arvo about 4.30,  set up then relaxed.  It was bloody freezing out there.  my sleeping bag is supposedly rated for minus 12 but I doubt it now   Razz
Woke up Friday morning and everything was covered in ice, inside and out.
sleeping bags damp, chairs covered in ice and bugger having a wet rear end to start the day  lol!
got about 5 hours of detecting done before the cloud came in real fast and it got blacker. fast pack up and got out as the ground out there was already damp and in spots my wheels were going thru the thin ground crust.
Did we find anything ? sure did, a small piece of rusty metal (with the 7000) about the size of a match head, down about an inch, and that's it.  it surprised me that there was bugger all rubbish around seeing there was 3 old timers mines nearby.
anyway, at least the beer was cold, very cold   Do we stay and wait or take off quick 1632602647
Do we stay and wait or take off quick Img_0410

the ridge behind us must have been solid iron, lots of signals from hot rocks.
Do we stay and wait or take off quick 110

around the west end was some interesting ground but not a peep from the 7000 or the Extreme
Do we stay and wait or take off quick Img_0411
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Do we stay and wait or take off quick Empty Re: Do we stay and wait or take off quick

Post by martinjsto Sat 11 Jul 2015, 11:49 am

always a good question Cliff, do you stay and wait it out or get out quick, I prefer to get out onto sealed roads then decide if i will set up camp just off the road somewhere interesting. at this time of year you could be there for a week or two if you decide to stay. shame no colour, the ground does look good but rarely do i get gold in the first day, it usually takes me a couple of days to get the machine set up for the ground and predominantly to get my ears tuned in. i reckon we are all bombarded with noise pollution every day and your ears ring for at least a day or so when first arriving at a spot and this accounts for missing the slight murmur of a deep or small nugget.
nothing worse than a wet bum on a cold frosty morning, i always turn my chair over or cover it for the cold nights so im good for the morning coffey. i presume you smashed some of them hotrocks and checked them, i have been pleasantly surprised by doing so and left wondering how many i have brushed aside that were in fact species. anyway great that you have got out and the vehicle is finally ready, you will get gold at the muster im sure.
cheers
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Do we stay and wait or take off quick Empty Re: Do we stay and wait or take off quick

Post by Moneybox Sat 11 Jul 2015, 7:20 pm

I'm a little concerned about heading to the muster in 2WD. Looking at GE there are a lot of unsealed roads and tracks that might get a bit challenging with a little rain. We could take the old FJ55 but then we'd be camping in the weather so I rather be in the bus. If it rains we might just have to stay a little longer Very Happy
Moneybox
Moneybox

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 Sat 11 Jul 2015, 8:02 pm

If your on the gold and plenty of supplies,i would be staying.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sat 11 Jul 2015, 8:51 pm

the north track in is quite good Phil, things can change quickly with rain but. there will be plenty of 4wd there if ya need a pull in or out to the main road. im putting in a UHF soon, hopefully ready for the muster so lets all be on say channel 18 and therefor be contactable if needed. i will put this up in the muster post.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 12 Jul 2015, 3:22 pm

Martin, we were too busy packing up and I forgot the got rocks, they are still sitting near the fire.  Razz
I doubt I'll go back there as the track in was a mongrel.  I'm amazed I didn't stake a tyre going in and out.  Lots of fallen timber and overgrown on the track.
but, that's what I reckon you have to do to see new areas.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM Sun 12 Jul 2015, 6:45 pm

Not sure if you know this one, but if you have the camp fire going at night and it is freezing out there, put a shovel of hot coals under your seat, you will never be cold for the rest of the night and again, before you go to bed, out hot coals under your seat and it still should be warm for the morning. Hope this helps. Joan

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Mon 13 Jul 2015, 7:28 am

If you are swagging it, dig a trench under where you are placing your swag, line it with hot coals then cover it with removed dirt. Not only is your bed softer it is warm.

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Mon 13 Jul 2015, 6:13 pm

martinjsto wrote:the north track in is quite good Phil,  things can change quickly with rain but. there will be plenty of 4wd there if ya need a pull in or out to the main road. im putting in a UHF soon, hopefully ready for the muster so lets all be on say channel 18 and therefor be contactable if needed. i will put this up in the muster post.
I'd better take a look around the shelves to see if I can find an old radio. We just fitted a new 80 channel GMF in the Isuzu so I'm not about to go out and buy a new one. I think there'll be something I've discarded over the years but the challenge will be finding it. We do have a little walky talky each but they don't have a long range.

Phil
Moneybox
Moneybox

Back to top Go down

Post by goldseeker58 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 8:08 am

martinjsto wrote:always a good question Cliff, do you stay and wait it out or get out quick, I prefer to get out onto sealed roads then decide if i will set up camp just off the road somewhere interesting. at this time of year you could be there for a week or two if you decide to stay. shame no colour, the ground does look good but rarely do i get gold in the first day, it usually takes me a couple of days to get the machine set up for the ground and predominantly to get my ears tuned in. i reckon we are all bombarded with noise pollution every day and your ears ring for at least a day or so when first arriving at a spot and this accounts for missing the slight murmur of a deep or small nugget.
nothing worse than a wet bum on a cold frosty morning, i always turn my chair over or cover it for the cold nights so im good for the morning coffey. i presume you smashed some of them hotrocks and checked them, i have been pleasantly surprised by doing so and left wondering how many i have brushed aside that were in fact species. anyway great that you have got out and the vehicle is finally ready, you will get gold at the muster im sure.
cheers

Very interesting on hot rocks..... got me wondering now, last trip came across heaps of hot rocks.... but some sounded sharper than others, most give a broad signal, but a few sounded metallic, I just presumed they have more iron, will have examine hot rocks more closely now...... Hmmmm
goldseeker58
goldseeker58

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down