Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oziexplorer and Moving Map

+2
waustin
Goldiewa
6 posters

Go down

Oziexplorer and Moving Map Empty Oziexplorer and Moving Map

Post by Goldiewa Mon 23 Mar 2015, 1:21 pm

Have been trying to set up Oziexplorer and Moving map, without much success. I have a Garmin Etrex 10, Ozi reads it and I am able to load tracks and waypoints etc but when I try to use Moving map it says GPS not detected. Have checked GPS with settings and retried several times, same outcome. Checked configuration on GPS tab and tried find GPS port and it does not detect it there either. Its doing my head in, seriously what am I doing wrong. I am going to try GPS realtime with google earth and see how that goes, does anyone use this? Maybe the etrex 10 isn't compatible?

Goldiewa

Back to top Go down

Oziexplorer and Moving Map Empty Re: Oziexplorer and Moving Map

Post by waustin Mon 23 Mar 2015, 7:24 pm

The Etrex 10 is compatible. In OziExplorer go to File, then Configuration. In that window there is a tab at the top that says GPS. Click on that one. Under GPS Make, choose Garmin, then under GPS Model choose Etrex 10. If you start the Etrex up and make sure it is connected to the computer, you can use the "Find GPS Port" button (above the GPS Make) to find the proper port. If this works, then its likely that the GPS is connected and working. Next click on the COM tab, which is the next one along from GPS. Ensure that the port is the same as the one found previously. If its a USB connection, you can tick the Garmin USB.

You have to make sure the Etrex is configured for NMEA output. This is in the GPS settings on the GPS unit, and should be in your user manual if you have it(otherwise download one from the internet). Garmins can be set to use PVT, but I used to find I couldn't upload and download waypoints in PVT mode, so left mine in NMEA mode. Its important that you know the port and the baud rate and that these match both the GPS settings and on the COM tab. Once set you just leave it alone.

Once this is all done and the GPS is connected, you need to start NMEA communications (from the Moving Map drop down menu). Then in the bottom left corner of OziExplorer you will see Moving Map is On, NMEA communication. The map should show your GPS position if your GPS has a signal - it doesn't normally work too well inside.

I hope that helps!

Cheers

Wayne
waustin
waustin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldiewa Tue 24 Mar 2015, 8:04 am

Hi Wayne,
Thanks for that, I have tried all of those and it locates GPS when you click find GPS but when I go into Moving Map Control and click start it says unable to locate GPS, have tried start NMEA communications as well, same outcome. Have Garmin manual but can't seem to find settings information. This is driving me nuts!! Didn't think it would be this difficult.

Goldiewa

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue 24 Mar 2015, 4:15 pm

Goldiewa,
See how you go with this. Would say it is a simple fix, you just have to find it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by waustin Tue 24 Mar 2015, 8:28 pm

Try ticking the PVT option in the COM tab in configuration. Might be the Etrex is set that way from the factory.

waustin
waustin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldiewa Wed 25 Mar 2015, 8:51 am

Thanks for all your help. Tried all of these and still no luck When I click on Start it says a Garmin USB GPS could not be found, could not initialize communications.This is really doing my head in, especially when you follow all instructions on Ozi and Garmin and it still wont connect for moving map.
Just found this on Garmin support - can download USB drivers, anyone done this?? Would this solve problem?

Goldiewa

Back to top Go down

Post by Doofus Wed 25 Mar 2015, 5:58 pm

I've also had trouble connecting. There has to be a solution but I'm sick of googling that gets me no where.
There seems to be a problem with Garmin and google earth. I get the no connection bit.
There has to be a problem somewhere.
Doofus
Doofus

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed 25 Mar 2015, 8:34 pm

Goldie,
I'll do some window snips in the morning to show you exactly how my system is set up and works.
The only difference is I use a USB GPS purchased from ebay which is plugged into my laptop while travelling using moving map.
Similar to this one, many to chose from.

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Wed 25 Mar 2015, 9:31 pm

same one as mine nightjar. i researched for a week or so how to set up my garmin 62s but never got it to work. the globalsat bu353s4 are the go, easy to set up and works.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Thu 26 Mar 2015, 7:39 am

Good luck Goldie,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lasseter's Reef is that way,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Nightjar on Thu 26 Mar 2015, 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : replace double up)
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by waustin Thu 26 Mar 2015, 8:17 pm

GoldieWA.... where are you located?
waustin
waustin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldiewa Thu 26 Mar 2015, 9:27 pm

Thanks for going to all that effort Nightjar, I have tried everything , nothing works. Going to give it a miss with the Etrex 10 for now, I'm pretty much over it.  Will try again when I can get a mouse usb gps, seems to be the go. Love the picture by the way.  Hi Waustin, I'm a long way from Denmark, why you asking?

Goldiewa

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 27 Mar 2015, 8:01 pm

Been reading this and another post, I have the same problem getting my Garmin Oregon 550 to connect with GE. Tried some of the other mapping gizmos bit it was a no go.
Now here's one thing I found. On my home computer there is only 2 COM Ports. If I connect the garmin, it wont work and the mouse goes insane.
Ok, I also have a BU353s4. when I connect, the mouse cursor goes crazy.
Now this is a wild guess from a dinosaur, it seems things will work if you have the com ports to support the unit.
Why do I say that ?? the BU353 works fine an my laptop (it's a new bugger).
I will try my garmin on the new laptop and see what happens.
It's just a guess, but ya gotta try.
by the way home computer is Windows7 but the new laptop is Windows8. buggered if I know.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldiewa Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:24 pm

Yeah I've got a laptop with Windows 7, 4 com ports, tried it in all 4, still doesn't work. It's a pain. Wondering if there are any other moving map type programmes out there?

Goldiewa

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sat 28 Mar 2015, 6:51 am

Goldie, OzieExplorer is without doubt the most versatile application for "moving map" there is, nothing to fault with the program, it is something you haven't set up correctly, probably something so simple you are overlooking it.
Are you absolutely sure you have the GPS aligned to the correct Port? Just plugging it into your 4 available USB ports won't fix the problem you have to actually enter the number of the port in Configuration/Com (as per my 4th pic)
You will note the port I am using is actually Com 7, there are only two USB ports in my laptop.

Plug your GPS into one of your 4 USB's, Open Device Manager on your computer and see what number Com Port it is plugged into.
****You can find "Device Manager" by clicking "Start" and typing Device manager into "Search Programs & Files.****
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldiewa Sat 28 Mar 2015, 8:22 am

Ok thanks will try that and let you know how I go, thanks once again for all you help.

Goldiewa

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sat 28 Mar 2015, 8:37 am

If you don't have any luck, PM Topcat, he is a whiz on any IT problems.

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldiewa Mon 30 Mar 2015, 5:07 pm

Thanks so much for all your help, have found com ports are missing from device manager, seems they may not have been configured, so this may be why the gps is not being picked up, am going to take to a computer shop and get advice.

Goldiewa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down