Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old WA Leases

3 posters

Go down

Old WA Leases Empty Old WA Leases

Post by Bignuggs Sun 15 Jan 2012, 11:20 am

I've been given some information about an old lease in the Londonderry area south of Coolgardie. It appears my great great grandfather owned half of a claim.
I've been told it is on record as M300 lease 2597, covered about 12 acres and was called "Clammael", the old boy was Welsh.
I've had a look at tengraph but I don't see anyway of finding it there and I've just spent the last few hours clicking on little yellow dots with the google earth old mines download.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll also be calling DMP to see if there is an old map.

cheers
Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Old WA Leases Empty Re: Old WA Leases

Post by Gypsy Tue 31 Jan 2012, 7:12 am

hiya Cliff,
I have alot of in depth research for that area, but I havnt heard of any by that name down there,
i have maps going back to the 1800's which ill have a look at, you wouldnt know what years he was down that way as ill also look through my old bulletins for the area also.
cheers Gypsy
Gypsy
Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 31 Jan 2012, 7:09 pm

Hi Gypsy,

Thanks for the help and my apologies to all, I should have posted a reply to my post earlier. The old lease has been found.
Why they said is was down Londonderry way has me buggered. it was nowhere near it.
DMP in Perth still have all the old records and hand written registers from the 1890's.
the lease is actually north of Coolgardie near Bonnie Vale way and I've lost count of the number times I've driven past it. It surprised my when I saw the map and if google earth is still fairly accurate, there is no new mining there and you can see the old workings.
William Gray (my great great grandfather) & Waldemar Ludwig Pruess held the lease from 5th Feb 1896 to 8 October 1898. It became void when they failed to pay the lease rent.
Lease 2597 also took up the old lease 300 "Mountain Annette" workings. There were other leases but I don't know if they came first or after 2597.

Cheers
Cliff
PS stay away from my ground Razz Razz

Old WA Leases Lease10

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gypsy Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:53 pm

thats great that you had found it,
lucky i didnt post the coords for the nuggets i have found on that lease in my post about Bonnie Vale,
if you would like them Cliff and all the high soil anoms for the area pm me and ill give them to you Very Happy
cheers Gypsy
Gypsy
Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:08 am

This should give you a chuckle Bignuggs.

During our WA trip last winter we decided that next year (this one) we would come back to explore more of the old gold/ghost towns and do a little searching for that yellow stuff.

So a visit to the Mining Registry in Coolgardie saw a Miners Right issued, and many thanks to Kathryn Bailey for all that assistance with Tengraph, mapping etc.
Also wanting to visit the Ora Banda pub (mainly because of the notariety!) Kathryn gave us a map showing the road direct from Coolgardie.
Getting on in the day and thinking about a camp for the night I spotted a repeater tower up on a rise.
Thinking this could be a good place to view the whole area I soon found the track leading in the right direction.
As it narrowed down it became somewhat steeper and with the van behind and not much space to turn round it was onward and upward.
When I saw the narrow and boken bitumen ahead decided it was time for low range, and with 2 tonne hanging off the back, it was also becoming quite interesting with a bit of wheelspin added in.
It was then that I mentioned to Chris that the turn around place at the top could well be inside the compound as the track was on quite a narrow ridge.

And sure enough it was, a "27 point turn" took a good 1/2 hour shifting rocks around and so forth.

But the view was fantastic and well worth the effort.

We did camp back at the bottom of the hill, probably somewhere opposite your lease.

As to the risk element of going into such places, we have good recovery gear and I am used to such situations.
When necessary I unhitch the van and put it onto the front towball, much easier to push than reverse.

A great place, WA
mike

boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:44 am

Going up the hill with a van sounds like fun Razz and WA is the best but I'm biased.
It surprised me that DMP still had the old documents, here's a couple of examples of what they still hold.

Old WA Leases Old_do10
Old WA Leases Old_do11

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down