Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A month's worth

+8
Ttrash
Flying kiwi
aussie18
snapper
bluedog
martinjsto
S & J v
Stingray
12 posters

Go down

A month's worth Empty A month's worth

Post by Stingray Tue 22 Jul 2014, 9:17 pm

Hi everyone, just got back from 4 weeks prospecting and posted a couple of photos of my finds. The biggest one in the photo went 41 gram and I was very happy with that. This is what it looked like when it came out of the ground.

A month's worth Photo2_zps4c1a96c6

I have only cleaned it with an electric toothbrush and it is the jaggy bit in the middle of the pan in the photo at the bottom. By the way those sonic toothbrushes (mine is a philips sonicare) are fantastic for cleaning up nuggets and species (and teeth for that matter).

I got some species as well. The ironstone and quartz one is quite nice to look at but proably only goes a few grams.  And before I left I had a plan to try and find a 'reef' this trip. Didn't quite succeed but I did find a little leader with nuggetty mineralisation (not dispersed). I have a photo of the top of it poking out the bottom of the hole.

A month's worth Photo1_zps6e4edde3

I still have to dolly but it probably only has a few grams in it. Out of interest I test dollied 250 grams of leader that didn't give a signal with the detector and that had about 0.1gram of little chunky bits which is encouraging. I'll probably dolly the rest of the leader on the weekend. Anyway here's a photo of the nuggets and a few species.

A month's worth Photo-2copy_zpsf48aa489

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

A month's worth Empty Re: A month's worth

Post by S & J v Tue 22 Jul 2014, 10:20 pm

Well done stingray, hope there is heaps more out there waiting for you

Cheers

S & J v

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Tue 22 Jul 2014, 10:39 pm

thats a great find stingray, its still out there. the big one all clean looks great.
cheers for posting

Last edited by martinjsto on Tue 22 Jul 2014, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not looking)

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluedog Wed 23 Jul 2014, 3:58 am

Very nice fine hope you get a lot more
 cheers  bluedog

bluedog

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Wed 23 Jul 2014, 7:42 am

Great work, have fun crushin those species  A month's worth 1424279845 
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

A month's worth Empty Re: a months worth

Post by aussie18 Wed 23 Jul 2014, 2:26 pm

very nice finds there  A month's worth 1424279845 
I bet you cannot wait to get back there!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Wed 23 Jul 2014, 2:46 pm

verrrry nice good one matey  Cool 

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ttrash Wed 23 Jul 2014, 4:10 pm

Great finds for a 4 week stint

Well done
Ttrash
Ttrash

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Wed 23 Jul 2014, 9:16 pm

Thanks guys, it was a good trip.

Down sides incuded a trashed radiator (pepper was good for getting me out of that and a 300k drive to get a replacement at nearly $1400 - on my birthday), having to pack up and leave my camp in the low bank of a creek in the rain at midnight when the rain set in on my last night out bush, sitting by the fire by myself, very content having found 8.5 grams that day, just cooked and eaten a delicious lamb roast and finishing the last of my Makers Mark. (lucky I left then otherwise I'd still be there I think). Driving out of the creek in rain and lightning that night I found out my electrics were shot, the temp gauge needle disappeared from view at the hot end at one point (lucky I knew the radiator was OK) - I actually thought the needle had dropped out till I saw it come down! Speedo kept dropping out as well and most warning lights were on too. Then the headlights cut out as I jumped up out of the creek, and through every gully (by now flowing creeks) crossing or big bounce after that. Mostly they would come back on after a few seconds. If not I had to switch everything off and start again. I thought about using the trusty dolphin torch out of the window that I saw some aboriginal guys do once at Capricorn! It was slippery as hell and a one hour casual drive turned into 3 hair-raising ones expecting the car to just fart and stop at any second. Geez I was releived to get onto a major track whre I know someone would come along if the car did indeed crap itself. Then there was the 500k detour due to closed roads to get back in time to see my daughter off to europe indefinitely. Then there was having to run off the road as two fully laden 4 carriage road trains came around a bend towards me side by side.

Up side is I have a new radiator. I fixed the electrics out bush - bad earth from the instrument cluster. I got hope in time to take my daugher to the airport. I've got over four ounces of gold and learnt a lot in the process. And I'm alive.  

What more could you ask for really?

Cheers and good luck to you all!

Regards
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 23 Jul 2014, 9:47 pm

wow ,great post & thanks , lot of hard yards between but you got the bugger , im not jealous only happy for ya ,know how hard it can be . cheers albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:34 am

Hi Stingray,

We should get together and write a book on the modern day detectorist with all our adventures, makes for good reading and to know that you've left some out there gets everyone going

Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jul 2014, 10:23 am

U MAKE MORE MONEY OUT OF SELLING BOOKS THAN FINDING GOLD in the same old places..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Thu 24 Jul 2014, 3:26 pm

Hoo Ray,

I take it that your comment is directed at me personally!!!, each to their own, but as you know I drop the missus off on a spot that has gold and I go looking. The fact that I don't travel too far is because you can still find runs that have been missed by others, IN THE SAME OLD PLACES!!!! and most of that is by foot

As for books the printers make all the money unless you have a best seller,I suppose you could always SELL MINELAB gear, AYE RAY!!!!

Ron

PS: Sorry to hijack your thread a bit Stingray but it seems someone is getting a bit towie

Last edited by Flouro on Thu 24 Jul 2014, 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Admin bashing!!)

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jul 2014, 6:06 pm

yeah

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by wandwaver Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:51 pm

Well done mate......you sharing GPS points?? hehehe

wandwaver

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Fri 25 Jul 2014, 7:44 pm

Hi Ron, with all the (mis)adventures between all of us on the forum over the years I sure we could come up with an interesting read. Sounds like you've had more than your fair share recently!

Wandwaver, I'd give you the GPSpoints, but it wouldn't do you any good, I've got all the the gold in my pocket  Wink 

Cheers
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by gut feeling Sat 26 Jul 2014, 3:48 am

good on ya mate. Its good to score gold from a old patch. It shows ya know wat your doin cleaning up! nice gold....
gut feeling
gut feeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Jul 2014, 6:49 am

it was a true statement RON..nothing directed at anyone--

If u take into the hardship and expenses that stringray had with this trip then u would be better of writing a book coz it doestnt cost that much to go into print--its the photos that cost the big money

and as they say a picture tells a thousand words..

if u remember a while back --someone printed a small manual on prospecting--it sold well--spiral bound.

so it can be done successfully without to much adoo...

and maybe u can share your spots with GPS co-ords, so the hoards can rape and pillage....mmmm may be not.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum