Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GARRET ATX- Pi DETECTORS

+4
pilbarachad
aussie18
Moneybox
goldfish
8 posters

Go down

GARRET ATX- Pi DETECTORS Empty GARRET ATX- Pi DETECTORS

Post by goldfish Tue 01 Jul 2014, 1:13 pm

Has anyone seen or used one,  thay say as good as gpx5k interesting. Shocked 

goldfish

Back to top Go down

GARRET ATX- Pi DETECTORS Empty Re: GARRET ATX- Pi DETECTORS

Post by Guest Tue 01 Jul 2014, 1:51 pm

mate go through and do a search on the topic--also scroll down the page there are a couple of threads about it.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Tue 01 Jul 2014, 2:12 pm

We've bought an ATX about two weeks back. It's found every conceivable piece of tiny junk, runs very quietly when not on a target and is easy to use but to date no gold.

It's our first detector so we have a lot to learn on where to go and what to look for. We were in Meekatharra Sunday working about 100m from a local guy using a GPX4000 and all I could hear was his matching squawking and carrying on over the top of the ATX. Saying that he found a little nugget along with a heap of junk, I just found the junk. I couldn't help noticing how fast he processed a find. I would spend fifteen minutes digging and sorting to find some tiny little rusty fragment and he would do the same in a couple of minutes and then he was off again. He must have doug at least three times as many holes in the same time.

Last year he found 16oz and has been at it for years. I think perhaps experience and expertise is more important than the machine.

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:44 pm

geez from feed back out in the padocks these Garrets are fast earning a reputation as closet dwellers..

certainly feel sorry for those who thought they were on something special..

not sure what they r worth second hand--i assume not much.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

GARRET ATX- Pi DETECTORS Empty Re: GARRET ATX-PI DETECTORS

Post by aussie18 Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:54 pm

a few in the quokka ray, they wanting $3200 or there about, geez I wonder how the p.patch is going I go past the place regularly and never many cars about.

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Fri 18 Jul 2014, 4:56 pm

aussie18 wrote: a few in the quokka ray, they wanting $3200 or there about, geez I wonder how the p.patch is going I go past the place regularly and never many cars about.

Ever since i bought one of there ex hire GPX 5000's and had a chat to them about how they were getting away from the minelabs ive wondered how long they were going to last. Hopefully it wasnt a decision thats going to put them out of business.
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Fri 18 Jul 2014, 6:20 pm

Hi Moneybox
It seems that you may not be using a magnet. Most ferrous rubbish is usually on the surface or just below. A quick swipe with a rare earth magnet will usually pick it up. Even if you have to dig a signal, just run the magnet through the pile and ferrous material will be removed. Couple this with a plastic scoop and you will be sorting out those signals very smartly. I would not detect now without either of these.
Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jul 2014, 6:26 pm

"does anyone want my 4500--buying a ATX"--well what a load of cock and bull old Les can dribble.

Looks like all the sales at the PP are based on this assumption.

Well from my time with the 2300, 45 and the 5K your on a looser--then maybe that's why he left here --

The PP lost their franchise to sell Minelab due to the simple fact they had there own agenda about the best detector in the market and were pushing other brands even when customers wanted a Minelab detector so don't get fooled by a spin doctor pushing his own snake oil young Chad.

Its always good to see the other side of the coin.

I can give u names of people who are peed of with certain machines out in the market place and the only gripe with the GPX is that people are a bit reserved to tinker with the knobs to get the best performance out of there machines..but they still find Gold.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Fri 18 Jul 2014, 8:56 pm

Pebbles wrote:Hi Moneybox
It seems that you may not be using a magnet.  Most ferrous rubbish is usually on the surface or just below.  A quick swipe with a rare earth magnet will usually pick it up.  Even if you have to dig a signal, just run the magnet through the pile and ferrous material will be removed.  Couple this with a plastic scoop and you will be sorting out those signals very smartly.  I would not detect now without either of these.
Col
Thanks Col,
We've got a couple of good magnets that we bought from the post office in Cue. I guess they don't work too well stuck to the side of the shower recess in the bus. I'm sure that'll save us some time sorting the wheat from the chaff
 GARRET ATX- Pi DETECTORS 79175053 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jul 2014, 3:28 am

A mates been using an Garrett ATX as his main machine and didn't do very well with it at all, all up about 5 grams in about 4 weeks of use, biggest piece was about 3.5 grams, all shallow and around the same spot but nothing else from any other place he went to, including one spot where I picked up about 20 grams of small pieces in two days.

Given that this bloke is pretty new to the detecting game that would of course be a contributing factor, he was running the stock standard dd coil and not a mono coil, he said the 8" mono is available for the ATX but was $800 or so as it also comes with the shaft wtf its simply not going to be as sensitive to the smaller pieces that we consider as our bread and butter bits, with the standard issue coil, little bits are easily sucked up on the 4500 with an 8 or 11 in mono.

I didn't use it for any length of time but my first impression was its very heavy, feels awkward and makes hideous sounds, one time when I was detecting a hillside I heard what I thought was a goat, later it turned out to be my mate detecting in the creek at the bottom of the hill, anyway I cant say that I am too impressed overall with its performance from what I saw of it anyway.

Another bloke told us that the indigenous blokes around Kalgoorlie are mad on the ATX for use on the salt lakes, my advice to him was to go to Kal and unload the thing, in experienced hands it may be a useful machine but the impression I got of it from what I saw was not good so in all honesty I would not waste my time using one, well not if I had the choice of that over my 4500 or even my extreme for that matter.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by feverpitch Sat 19 Jul 2014, 2:00 pm

Have you guys seen the You Tube comparing the 5000 and the ATX? Very interesting results.Mind you he was comparing the 5000 ,fitted with an 11" DD, to the ATX,which he says is a fair comparison since the Atx uses a similar size DD coil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k72F-61e1UQ

feverpitch

Back to top Go down

GARRET ATX- Pi DETECTORS Empty Re: garret atx VS the best detector on the market or whatever

Post by aussie18 Sat 19 Jul 2014, 7:16 pm

GARRET ATX- Pi DETECTORS 1472621687 GARRET ATX- Pi DETECTORS 1472621687 GARRET ATX- Pi DETECTORS 3100332128  yeah seen it and it don't mean a thing
run the 5k the way it meant to run and lets look again
propaganda enjoy it

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 20 Jul 2014, 8:08 am

if you are talking about the vid clip from bearcat where he has the little nugget on top of the ground, I've seen it too.
He didn't like the comments I made about his test.  from what I'm hearing, the ATX is not proving to be worth the money, not for WA conditions anyway.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Jul 2014, 6:38 am

if anyone is looking for a second hand garret then let me know--

little use as owner has traded up to a GPX..

all reasonable offers will be considered.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

GARRET ATX- Pi DETECTORS Empty ATX

Post by JD Sat 26 Jul 2014, 7:38 am

I have just got back from a trip to MM Cue and Meeka and two good mates that came up from Perth along with my brother in law for the two weeks.

The detectors used were a GPX 5000 two ATX,s and a very old Garret Ground hog.

I know jack the ATX but after two weeks in the bush all gold was found and recovered by the 5000.

The two fellows with the ATX,s at one stage even contacted PP for possible advise to see if there machines were faulty or they going about it right.

The crappy part of this story during there phone call to PP they had their phone on speaker and ended up hanging up on PP because PP started to get the sh#ts and became defensive and not very helpful to say the least.

But horses for courses.

JD

JD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum