Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Digging for a mongrel find

+9
oldies1955
Moneybox
NuggieDreamer
goldstrijk
Flying kiwi
rogawilco
albo
martinjsto
Bignuggs
13 posters

Go down

Digging for a mongrel find Empty Digging for a mongrel find

Post by Bignuggs Sun 27 Apr 2014, 5:21 pm

I posted this pic in the early days of the forum.  I was in a well known gold area and using a 4500 or it might have been a 3500, I can't remember as it was taken years ago.
Anyway, ya think you have hit the big one and ya dig (don't tell the greenies I chopped out a bush) and buried in the roots of the bloody bush ya find this and ya have to ask yourself how the hell did it get there.
It wasn't tin or iron, it was cut from a flat sheet of something, I've been told it was old degraded tin, I dunno as it looked flakey when I snapped it in half.
I always call this photo "nearly my new boat" but it wasn't to be.
So what is the most soul destroying thing you have ever dug up, Have ya got a photo ?

Digging for a mongrel find Almost10
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Digging for a mongrel find Empty Re: Digging for a mongrel find

Post by martinjsto Sun 27 Apr 2014, 6:35 pm

i had a screamer in a creek line i was following, dug down nearly 8 inches through hard compact gravel and checked the hole again to still have a even louder target, after another few inches of exhaustive digging thinking YES retirement here we come only to see a round rusty loop appeared, followed by another, ended up being an really old chain and hook about 4 ft long that is hanging on Chris and June's old relic wall now. sorry no pic
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Mon 28 Apr 2014, 9:15 am

Had a similar event once north magnet where I did quite well &went a bit wider, had the 2200 a large broad sound , pulled back the soil 300 mm deep till I hit a solidish calcrete , undisturbed ground & what a great loud screem.I did what I could do with a pick a bit further ,still great but too hard the dirt . 8pm by this time , after work close to town trip , so down the pub & dragged my mate out who had some better gear  Laughing , even made the 50 /50 deal driving to it .
after an hour of busting dirt I put the pick in after making the perimeter hole & taking it out & the ground had a funny bounce about it .
Turns out there was a rabbit warren hole 10 metres to the side we didn't see & the in out in out of the bunnies took a beer can to the bottom of the warren .
yep we had bali holidays planned & all , you cant be certain till its in the skyrocket .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco Mon 28 Apr 2014, 1:17 pm

Ouch that's gotta hurt Albo.
Had exact same thing happen to mate and me last year. Crow bar and every thing out, yep 50/50 no wurries, until we found the cavity, bottom of hole caves in,WTF. Rewarded with and old export can and some blisters. found the entry to the rabbit or bungarra hole 6 metres away. Bugga !!  Digging for a mongrel find 1533492315 
RW
rogawilco
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Mon 28 Apr 2014, 3:24 pm

Flying kiwi
Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Mon 28 Apr 2014, 4:01 pm

now that hurt Tom, found a few inches deep but that was around 2 ft. bummer
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Digging for a mongrel find Empty Re: For all the old People

Post by goldstrijk Wed 30 Apr 2014, 4:05 pm

That reminds me of last fathers day, Nuggie got a signal in a creek bed, I'll get him to post again hahaha!

goldstrijk

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:29 pm

In the Line of Goldstrijk's 30 piece Patch in Cue

NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Mon 16 Jun 2014, 6:38 pm

Just to make "Moneybox" happy... You missed these mate!

Digging for a mongrel find Junk_n11
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 16 Jun 2014, 6:43 pm

some good finds there deet  lol! 
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Tue 17 Jun 2014, 7:48 am

I haven't put us in yet but I'm looking forward to the muster if we can make it. I want to see how many of you lot throw your beer cans and bottles in the fire. It's always bugged me to find a messy fireplace now I've worked out why....
 Razz 
That's a great collection and it's good to see it leaving the bush. My problem is Sandra's a bower bird. Half it goes home to go on display. I have enough trouble with the 200kgs of pretty rocks under her bed, now they've started to migrate to mine.
 lol! 
Moneybox
Moneybox

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Tue 17 Jun 2014, 8:51 am

nice finds there, between the lot of us we must remove a few tonnes of scrap every season from the fields if you add it all up. I too need a bigger display cabinet phil, lol.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldies1955 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 4:59 am

Here in Arizona I was hitting a spot that had given up lots of nugs to a friend back in the 90s.
I get this real nice mellow signal and I start digging. Get down 8 inches and im into rock hard caliche.
Signal is really loud now..so, I start chipping away.
Took a good 10 min. to get it out of the caliche and im panting/sweating and hoping!
Well, it turns out to be a 1/2 piece of rusted tin.
ARG! Guess all that caliche had formed over where the old timers were 100 years ago.
Oh well...
Tom H.

oldies1955

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 5:19 pm

Mongrel finds,where do you start.I think everyone would have had one or several of these finds on their various trips to the goldfields.One such find was while detecting around the Peak Hill district.We came across an ol mine and decided to detect down hill towards a creek.Not far from the creek me machine kicked up a heap of a racket and I thought I had found my 'Elderado'.After 22 inches,buckets of sweat,camera ready I thought you beauty.My detector was screaming,so putting my detector aside and on all fours I began to rummage around in the all mighty hole I had just dug.To cut an even longer story short it was simply an old pipeline which must have been used to pump water to the old mine.Bummer.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by delapan Fri 20 Jun 2014, 7:54 am

Yep, when I first started went to the "concrete" diggings near Rheola in vic, wondering what concrete diggings were......got a signal, started digging (summer time) luckily had a crowbar and full sized pick in the car, virgin ground, thinking to myself that I have hit the jackpot, 4 hours later standing in the hole, found it, miners pick with broken tip, had dug down several feet away from a hole and finally got down to where the old timer following the wash at the bottom of the hole had broken his pick and left it there.........and I also found out why they were called the concrete diggings........a learning curve !! ..........gazza
delapan
delapan

Back to top Go down

Post by wandwaver Fri 20 Jun 2014, 9:29 pm

I was detecting and had a signal which almost deafened me. Turned out to be a rusty shovel about a foot down. Bugga!

wandwaver

Back to top Go down

Post by red devil Sat 21 Jun 2014, 4:19 pm

we were out of laverton a few years ago on nice ground ,had found a couple of small ones and was walking back to truck when i heard a very faint signal. after digging a lot, the the signal got stronger and i was getting excited.the ground was rock hard. i called on the wife to bring the crowbar and shovel,well we worked our asses off ,the hole got bigger the tector stated to scream, we were sweating as it was bloody hot .well after an hour and a half we had a great big crater then i broke a bit more up and wifey jumps in the hole and says do you think this is it and held up half a draft horse shoe, all i could say was f--k i just could not believe what i was looking at.well it happens to us all and many times.

red
red devil
red devil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum