Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS and Ozi

4 posters

Go down

GPS and Ozi Empty GPS and Ozi

Post by Guest Mon 14 Nov 2011, 8:28 pm

Here is an example of the GPS I use and the Oziexplorer mapping program, I should start to learn how to use tengraph before I head over west, I haven't played with it yet, so if anyone is able to give some pointers on that, it would be appreciated.

When I started detecting I bought a cheap GPS which was good to mark spots I had been to, but wanted more.

I upgraded my GPS to a Garmin mapping handheld wich was used in conjunction with Mapsource, which was a great choice, but eventually I wanted more information and ease of use.

Along came the use of Google Earth, coupled with the Garmin HCX Vista allowed waypoints to be created and transferred from one to the other with ease and the ablility to see the ground....Almost a perfect solution and mapsource went to the unused folder.

Then I discovered a program that is very powerful and does just about everything I want it to do....Click for link => [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I am still learning the features of this program and without guidence it can take some working out, but with the struggle sometimes, the rewards are there. Especially when you mark a spot from your research and find a nugget within meters of your waypoint Wink

Here are some screen shots for those who are not familliar with the program.....

A simple mosaic map (for the whole of Australia)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Waypoints can then be added and saved within Ozi or transferred to Ozi from Google Earth or visa versa. The waypoints you see are of mine locations, diggings, reeflines etc.

Any map that you have on your system can be observed with the waypoints still loaded.

Other information can be added with the already loaded data, the blue shape files are of expired leases from 1865 to 1968

Any paper map that you have can be scanned, calibrated and used in Ozi

Another scanned map for example, different area but one you may well be familiar with.

Ozi has just added the option to view (while connected to the internet) the use of google maps, google satellite, near map and others. The following is using google satellite.

Then there is the use of 3D imagery which can be a vital tool to study land contours, it can quite often give you a different view compared to a topo map to really bring it to life. This is a shot of the Grampians in Vic to exaggerate the effect.

All of the information (not 3D) above can be transferred to your in-car GPS with the use of Ozi-CE, I have a 7" GPS that runs IGO 8 for the black stuff and Ozi for the dirt with the use of Vic-Map (vic-map used for 3d image above.) I have also loaded google satellite images into my GPS and then navigate with a aeriel photo, which in some area's can be handy.

I have just ordered a smaller 4.8" GPS to use in my pocket so when on foot in the bush I can see the information that got me there in the first place, I don't think that this will make the Garmin redundant though.

I hope that you have found this helpful in some way, if you have any questions, please fire away and I will do my best to help. (my skills are fairly limited)

Another good source of information you will find here => [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers Pol

Back to top Go down

GPS and Ozi Empty Re: GPS and Ozi

Post by Guest Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:58 pm

great info there man, cheers for posting that up for the members Wink

We must have a chat about using the 3D features some day, would be very handy for tracing rockfall directions from reefs and alluvial bench placer areas.

cheers
Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by golden Mon 28 Nov 2011, 4:52 pm

thanks for that info.
I might get little bit more serious and look into this.
It makes detecting much easier.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Nov 2011, 5:48 pm

Pete the 3D feature is very easy to use, it does not come with the program but is a very cheap extra.
It has proven itself to find me gold and as you say find those depressions in the flatter country.

Golden, next time we get out I can give you a run down of the program.
I have helped a few people now with Ozi and they all seem to grasp it well.

For those that are already using ozi and would like some more info on it there are some other handy sites.
See links below.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Snuggs2012 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 6:17 pm

Hi GS,

this is lovely stuff. Now if I'm gettin this correctly, I should be able to download it into a hand held GPS.
I currently use a Garmin 60 but if I got one of the newer models with coloured screen, then I guess I could use all the stuff you have shown in your post.
Then I'd be home and hosed so to speak. Am I right or wrong ?

cheers
Snuggs
Snuggs2012
Snuggs2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Nov 2011, 6:30 pm

Gday Snuggs

Ozi explorer is a computer program, most blokes use it on their laptops while out bush,
i dont think there is a hand held gps version, basically its a computer mapping system, that you can
hook up your garmin to via a USB cable so the Garmin will act as the navigator, one good part of OZI is
the moving mapS part, you can actually see your position move on a map as you drive through
the bush, so it saves you going one way and having to backtrack cause a deep ck apears, you can see whats
coming up ahead and choose the best route there, of course you can also pre load up all your Mine and prospects
waypoints and any other waypoints you've found gold at.....

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:03 pm

hey, if GoldstalkerGPX can teach me, then im sure he can teach anyone, lol.
Fantastic program (what ive learnt of it) and easy directions by Adrian.
Ive only been PI detecting for 4 or 5 months and learning ozi has put me onto the gold almost every trip out.
Its one of those programs that the more you learn, the more features you discover. Its in a word 'brilliant' IMO

But, ozi wont show you where the gold is (obviously) but doing research and using ozi together, it really up's your chances :)

As Adrian said, the 3D program is very useful in showing depressions, no matter how slight.

I came up with a really stupid theory about where to find gold, and bugger me it worked out lol. Huge thanks to Adrian for teaching me What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Dec 2011, 3:39 pm

G'day Snuggs, While Pete is very correct in what he has stated above, Ozi can also be put onto a vehicle gps. I have three car gps and have Ozi loaded onto two of them.
While Ozi cannot be loaded onto a hand held GPS, the ease of transferring waypoints and other info from one progro to the next is priceless.

I said that Ozi cannot be loaded onto a handheld , not quite true. I discovered the other night that there is one maker of GPS that supports the program. Not sure how good the units are yet as I need to research them a bit more, but what a fatastic concept!

Back to top Go down

Post by Detrackozi Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:13 pm

Adrian

It would be best if you state that the Ozi-Explorer is not the same version as Ozi-Explorer-CE which is what you load into your Car Nav GPS

"You Quote"
I said that Ozi cannot be loaded onto a handheld , not quite true. I discovered the other night that there is one maker of GPS that supports the program. Not sure how good the units are yet as I need to research them a bit more, but what a fatastic concept!

Adrian
Can you name the Hand held GPS that you discovered the other night

David

Detrackozi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:29 pm

G'day David, The handheld GPS that are supported by Windows CE are :-

The Holux Funtrek 130 GPS (and the 130 Pro) system use Windows CE as the Operating System and can run OziExplorerCE. The Funtrek 130 is sold by Holux and in Australia (and possibly the UK) with a memory-map label, and in Europe with the Smartmaps label.

And the Lowrance Endura range of GPS systems use Windows CE as the Operating System and can run OziExplorerCE.

Links to the sites are listed below...

HOLUX
ENDURA

There is also information on these via [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by aumate Wed 07 Dec 2011, 7:44 pm

Hi Goldstalkergpx

You must of been reading my emails from Des at Ozi Explorer....

As I asked them if there was any handheld GPS that would taked Ozi Explorer CE, and they told me about
the Holux Funtrek 130, and I was wondering if anyone knew of this brand...

Or I was also thinking of looking into the Ozi Explorer Android which runs on smartphones or tablets, but these will not be as sturdy as a GPS for in the bush.

Cheers Laurie & Roz

aumate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:36 pm

G'day, Didn't read you emails :) well there ya go, it seems that we have all learned something recently about these....I am not sure I want to run the program on my android and have avoided trying to do so, as you say.....I think GPS is far superior to phone service. Well where we need it anyway!!

Cheers Pol

Back to top Go down

Post by Detrackozi Thu 08 Dec 2011, 3:55 pm

We are running acouple of units at the moment and had to sort alot of thing out but have been working fine, I would not plug any of the one's were are using as there is new Tab unit coming and the software is getting alot better.

For those that want to read more about it here is ozi link.

Detrackozi

Back to top Go down

Post by aumate Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:00 pm

Hi David,

So the message is to sit and wait for a while Laughing Laughing Laughing

I saw the ozi Explorer android, but all that technology requirements... affraid affraid

We look forward to hearing from you when more information is available, hopefully before our trip next year.

Cheers Laurie & Roz

aumate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum