Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which IPad/Tablet for Tengraph

+5
old dragon
Flying kiwi
Narrawa
AussieAU
IFOne
9 posters

Go down

Which IPad/Tablet for Tengraph Empty Which IPad/Tablet for Tengraph

Post by IFOne Sat 28 Dec 2013, 8:46 am

Greetings all. As I am not up with all this technical stuff, could someone please tell me in simple terms which IPad or Tablet I should look at to use Tengraph on. I would also like it to have a sim card so it is not reliant on Wi Fi. Thanks in advance,

IFOne

Back to top Go down

Which IPad/Tablet for Tengraph Empty Re: Which IPad/Tablet for Tengraph

Post by AussieAU Sat 28 Dec 2013, 9:06 am

Mmmm, looks like Tengraph may not work on an android device.  http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/4742.aspx  

Maybe contact DMP and ask them if Tengraph will run with android devices.  If it does not, that would limit the tablets selection to windows based.  Let us know how you go.

I know nothing about IPads

Best of luck.

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Sat 28 Dec 2013, 11:19 am

I use the tablet PC combo in the link below coupled to the new telstra 4g modem, the antenna in the link below it, is the one iv spent many hrs researching to give the best performance for my needs when im back out bush in WA.  
I doubt your going to get much from a cell enabled ipad or tablet unless you plan on being fairly close to towns or mine sites with cell ability. Finding one that's able to run Tengraph may also be a challenge. No tablet i know of has an antenna port for external antenna use. The 4g modem in the link has two antenna ports. With the antenna connected the tablet will be able to access the net from a long distance giving me access to tengraph while out on the job if need be.....mostly to shuv down the throat of dopey lease holders who have no idea of their boundaries.
The tablet also has seven sensors of which one is a compass, some of the others include a cell enabled GPS, the rest have their uses also.

The tablet runs full Windows 8.1, combined with various APPS for mapping ect ect, makes it a very versatile gadget for use out in the field over ipads and other tablets running Android OS.

The modem has now been tested on the 4g network and can certainly get its rs into gear, but im now in an area serviced by 3g, and with the ability to tether via USB, it too can perform while working the tengraph which is net based and at times pretty average when loading pages. This all comes into play when your signal is less than adequate for use on tengraph in WA, many times you can have enough signal to get on the net, but its pert near useless when you cant surf/load pages.
The best thing about the modem is being fully portable, not that i would but you could take it walkabout with your tablet or smartphone, sit on top of a hill and facebook your rs off if thats your thing. Laughing 
Fitted to your quad bike or left in your car for when your out on the job away from camp.
Iv tested both the tablet and modem charging with a few different micro USB2 leads from other devices.. meaning one lead can be used to charge both items from a USB 12v socket, no need to carry special charging gear.

Good luck on your hunt, i hope this has been somewhat helpful.

Tablet PC combo --->
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Telstra 4g modem-->[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yagi antenna-->[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Sun 29 Dec 2013, 4:07 am

Thanks narrawa for that great post kwdf 

Lines up with what I thought tenograph and geoview are both Citrix based which from what I can work out will only work on windows.

If anyone knows a way to get geoview to work on iPad would be stoked to find out how?

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by old dragon Sun 29 Dec 2013, 6:11 am

Hi Narrawa, Thanks for your post that's just what I've been looking for. Are you running Geomap WA on your system, do you know if Geomap WA will run on windows 8 . Cheers Max

old dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Sun 29 Dec 2013, 8:25 am

Iv not got around to installing Geomap WA on my new system yet, it works on win 7 ok so now that the Citrix receiver has been fixed to work on win 8 and 8.1, id say it wont have a problem if its required to run Geomap WA.??
Saying that, iv not had much to do with Geomap WA.....it didn't float my boat.

Given tablets and especially ipads are spreading fast, it wont be long before there is a fix for mapping programs for the other OS gaining popularity....there may already be one, but im no help on macs or any other OS. For me, its better the devil you know, than the one you dont. Very Happy 

Now, a question for those who do use it.....can Geomap tell you whats under the surface.???

Back to top Go down

Post by IFOne Sun 29 Dec 2013, 11:08 am

Yes, thanks very much for your info narrawa I should be able to work something out from that.

IFOne

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieAU Sun 29 Dec 2013, 12:35 pm

Now, a question for those who do use it.....can Geomap tell you whats under the surface.???

Geomap WA runs quite happily on Windows 8....will it tell you whats under the surface, well you can put all the lease boundaries on it you can hook up a GPS to it so you know where your at etc, you can click on some info buttons and it may tell you about soil samples and drill holes etc, so in that respect it does tell you a bit about whats under the surface. Also being a Geo map it also tells you what type of ground your driving on across the surface, CZL etc

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Dec 2013, 1:10 pm

Hi Narrawa
ive got some ground up here going over 4grams per ton but too far for me to dig--its all yours if u want to have a go.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Antimony Sun 29 Dec 2013, 7:17 pm

i can run tengraph on my macbook but have to download Citrix reader first
it was a while ago though
Antimony
Antimony

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Sun 29 Dec 2013, 7:30 pm

hopefully codger is still around , hes right up to date with each season when it comes to mapping ,fridges , new utes , tricks to make it better ... come on steve , cheers albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Digdog Tue 07 Jan 2014, 9:12 am

I use a iPad I run a gis roam app (free version) on it just download everything off dmp website auto calibrates everything in to place and can turn on as many layers as u wish. I just refresh live and pending temerments every time I am heading out. If I don't have service where I'm heading I just leave the screen loaded and can still use it when out there I have found this very handy and so easy for us tech challenged people to use lol! 
Cheers digdog

Digdog

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM Fri 18 Jul 2014, 9:09 am

Hi DG, can you advise where you obtained the free GIS roam free from.  I have an Apple Ipad. Mcherrs Joan

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum