Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back home

2 posters

Go down

Back home Empty Back home

Post by grasshoppernt Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:46 pm

Well, made the move and am now back in Perth now after a 12 year tour of duty in Darwin. A 6 day road trip, but it was great to wind down the window and turn off the aircon for the first time in years
once I hit Carnarvon.
Made a lot of good friends and detected with some top blokes including the mines inspector who I also went camping with. I was also on the committee of the NT Prospectors and Detectorists Assocation  where we managed to get the laws changed for the benefit of detectorists after staring down the barrel of a lockout on all pastoral leases
Found a few ounces in my NT stint,(a lot of pieces to make up the weight), biggest was a half an ounce and the best day saw my wife and I get a couple of ounces between us.
My dilemma is that I am now in completely unknown territory and have no idea where to go or how to go about doing it legally, as the rules are completely different, although I will get the obligatory miners right next week
As the saying goes "All the gear, no idea" comes to mind, so anyone that can point me in the right direction, or even offer a hand in friendship to go out with and explore the bush will be really appreciated

Back to top Go down

Back home Empty Re: Back home

Post by martinjsto Fri 08 Nov 2013, 9:27 am

ah grasshopper..nt,
though the road south is long and lonely it is the not the well worn path that lead to your fortune.
haha, could help myself  lol! 
seriously, you will find everyone here very helpfull and some great advice available.
we need  a miners right to prospect of fossic in WA and depending on the state of tenement application, a 40e permits also to access exploration leases granted in WA, log onto tenagraph and search for any area or mine you are interested in, get the leaseholders info and pastoral holders info and submit a 40e permit to detect on that ground. if the area you are interested in is covered by a pending (blue) lease then you can detect on that ground without a permit untill it is granted. all other crown land is available but be carefull of native title. eastern goldfields in known gold producing areas is a great start, there is still a lot of gold out there, just get a coil on the ground. it is getting too hot for most of us south WA folks out there so getting with someone now may be difficult.
good luck and I
hope this helps
Martin
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by grasshoppernt Fri 08 Nov 2013, 11:45 am

haha, thanks Martin,
the nick was from when I first bought my detector as it was quite appropriate given my complete naivety. I agree that this is probably not the best time to be venturing out given the temperatures on the rise and my vintage. Starting off in a new role with work will no doubt keep me busier than a one armed snake wrangler, at least for the short term.
This site has been a good source of interest and information for me, it lead to my purchasing a solar panel, a dual battery system, and hence a bit more security when wandering the bush off the beaten track.
I was fortunate enough to manage a couple of weeks through the Victorian triangle with a mate from Tennant Creek before my relocation , he should be in the next edition of the Minelab news with his 100 grammer. We also caught up with a few of the detectorists from the Bendigo and Ballarat facebook groups and did some detecting together. In the last 3 months I have done over 9,000 k's but it has all gone without a hitch thanks to help from some of your forum members in getting prepared properly.
I hope to become a regular contributor to the group, thanks again for the valuable input from you and other members

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down