Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meteorite??

+3
bluedog
Rege-PA
Jack-Tar
7 posters

Go down

Meteorite?? Empty Meteorite??

Post by Jack-Tar Thu 01 Aug 2013, 10:42 pm

I found this about 2 foot down and the detector screamed when passed over it. It is very magnetic and heavy for it's size. It also has a black burnt looking crust around it. Although it is hard to see through the red dirt. It weighs just under 2 kg. How do I identify whether it is a meteor and also it's worth.

Craig

Meteorite?? 20130810

Meteorite?? 20130812

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Meteorite?? Empty Re: Meteorite??

Post by Jack-Tar Thu 01 Aug 2013, 11:07 pm

Meteorite?? 20130813

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rege-PA Fri 02 Aug 2013, 9:47 am

Have it tested for nickle, most meteorites have it.

Rege-PA

Back to top Go down

Post by bluedog Fri 02 Aug 2013, 11:32 am

i would paint it yellow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
cheers bluedog

bluedog

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty Fri 02 Aug 2013, 1:43 pm

Try a web search, I just did and there is some good info on there.
Chris
shorty
shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by rarebreed Sat 03 Aug 2013, 6:19 pm

You can get it tested in Perth, there is a geo that works over at the Wes Aus Museum, if its Iron they have seen before and they know what it is, they will give a little certificate etc telling you what it is and other details.

If on the other hand it's something Rare, "New Iron" or mars etc then you will not get it back and they will keep it.
WA laws suck.... don't even think about trying to sell it overseas either, Australia has a law to stop that as well, big fines and or jail time apply.....

Good luck with it, it's a very lucky fine if it turns out to be a meteorite, very unlucky you found it in WA
rarebreed
rarebreed

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 03 Aug 2013, 7:52 pm

Jack-Tar wrote:Meteorite?? 20130813

Ain't that the truth. Unlucky if ya found it here in the West and reported the find.  But it does have some unusual structure..
Maybe just keep it as a souvenir.

cheers 
Cliff
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Sat 03 Aug 2013, 8:01 pm

Thanks for the info Johno, but who said I found it in WA

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 03 Aug 2013, 8:03 pm

There ya go, it was found elsewhere cheers 
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Aug 2013, 10:10 pm

This may be of some help:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
SG

Back to top Go down

Post by Tributer Sun 04 Aug 2013, 7:21 pm

Hi Craig,I have handled many many meteorites and I am pretty sure your rock is not a meteorite. The ribbing is caused by etching of softer layers in the rock by natural erosion in the ground. Meteorites don't have such layering and the ablation patterns that form on meteorites as they fly through the atmosphere don't look like that. I would say it is a rock with a lot of metal in it and the black is probably a manganese or similar oxide coating, probably a reaction rim where the metal rich rock is in contact with the soil.

This is just my humble opinion, by all means get it checked out. However if you do some diagnostic work on it yourself using web info you may work out what it is yourself. (grind a small corner to see what the fresh rock looks like inside). If it is a meteorite a magnet will stick to it (some types are not magnetic, but 95% of them, including all the ones with metal in them are)

Cheers Tributer
Tributer
Tributer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Aug 2013, 11:49 pm

Wow never seen a rock like that Shocked 
I also found a strange rock, It was found in Granite Breakaway country out yonder  and I spotted this rock sitting on its own in the sand, Waved the coil over it and it gave a weird loud signal and stuck to the pick magnet, It looks as if the rock is rusting as you can see by the pics, Got me stuffed wont be sending it to the museum after reading every ones replies bit of a shame really cause how are we to learn, There should be some type of incentive.
Anyway on the gold front I did find another specie near Last years should go a bit more too.. Took a friend to the spot and he found a specie 3 meters away from last years which should have a ounce and a bit in it, He was using the GPX4500 but running a different coil, I was using a18inch NF and he was using a 24x12 Meteorite?? 490525052  Running the same settings Had his name on it, Caught me by suprise when I seen the dig hole near my last years hole cause I cross chained that area Meteorite?? 4066623196 
Meteorite?? DSC_0040_zps45066f07
Meteorite?? 3862aa33-abea-45b8-8b09-887afd4fc881_zps320a6517
Meteorite?? DSC_0045_zps5353d416
Meteorite?? DSC_0049_zps105d84d8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down