Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Coil and Little coil

5 posters

Go down

Big Coil and Little coil Empty Big Coil and Little coil

Post by Guest Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:08 pm

just a couple of suggestions if u r goin to tackle a piece of ground that takes ya fancy.

if u see a piece of ground that someone has already beaten u to the easy nuggets then put on ya 11" mono or 8x6" NF.
very slowly go over every inch of the area and I mean slow right down and I even drag the coil on the ground to b sure.

My other suggestion is that if u r in an area that has deep holes then u will need to use at least a 16" round however the
real achievers are using the 20" round and or the 25" round coils to get the extra depth--trust me they work.

From talking to a few blokes that do find their fair share and more --they all use the round coils
they seem to punch a bit deeper than the elliptical--the advantage of the elliptical is 2 fold--1) they are lighter and 2) they are easily manoeuvrable within the spinny if u r in the Pilbara goldfields compared to the round coils.
but if u r a gym junky then weight wont matter to ya arms.

hope this helps

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Big Coil and Little coil Empty Re: Big Coil and Little coil

Post by AuHunter Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:34 pm

Hi oneday, do the guys using the larger coils use aftermarket shafts? My biggest is 18inch round. Someone told me when you go bigger maybe use a fibreglass shaft for the extra length, stiffness and being less conductive.

AuHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:41 pm

I only use either coiltek shafts or minelab ones --wasn't aware of conductivity with these coil shafts..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by AuHunter Tue 16 Jul 2013, 4:01 pm

I recently read a post by Qldsandy on another site that his shop had taken over the moulds of the otto shafts. Think they are now called Sandyshafts. He said something about conductivity in the upper shafts of the originals. Dunno. I just remember thinking geeze looks like I may need to fork out more coin for shafts too and a monster coil. At least they look good.

AuHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Tue 16 Jul 2013, 4:34 pm

Looks like the shafts have a little metal ball and probably a spring in the top of the shaft, but they move with the coil so shouldn't effect the coil, i would think.
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Woteva Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:29 am

Hey oneday, after you have hit your piece of ground with the mono of choice would you also go back over it with a double d, I suppose what I'm saying is would a DD pick up anymore? Just a thought.
Regards
Woteva

Woteva

Back to top Go down

Post by goldpan Wed 17 Jul 2013, 9:05 pm

good post,
i agree with the first statement,i did just that last week with the 11 mono and found the tiniest piece of gold only a few feet away from the last guys hole..it all adds up.

goldpan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jul 2013, 11:14 am

AuHunter wrote:I recently read a post by Qldsandy on another site that his shop had taken over the moulds of the otto shafts. Think they are now called Sandyshafts. He said something about conductivity in the upper shafts of the originals. Dunno. I just remember thinking geeze looks like I may need to fork out more coin for shafts too and a monster coil. At least they look good.

Spot on AuHunter

this from another forum

"Gold City Detecting is pleased to announce that they are now making the fibreglass detector shafts formerly made by Neil Otto and named "Otto Shafts". Neil has retired from making these units and has entrusted us with the moulds to continue the tradition. The shafts will be manufactured in much the same way they have been over the last 20 or so years of their existence.

To comply with Neil's wishes we have renamed them, and they will be now known as "Sandy Shafts".
We have stocks of 700 mm lower shafts, 800 mm lower shafts, spare compression nuts, push button locks, shaft washers as well as the upper shafts.
Pricing is available on our website,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you swing a large mono coil over 16" in diameter a composite shaft is a must to get the best detection depth, as the coil will sense the standard aluminium upper shaft and not get the performance it should have. Sandy Shafts are fibreglass construction, light and strong. The standard Minelab lower shaft measures 600 mm long. We manufacture Sandy Shafts at 700 mm and 800 mm, while the upper shaft is the standard length.

We have made some minor changes and have plans for some other items shortly. Wholesale enquiries from recognised dealers can be catered for.
Cheers."

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 18 Jul 2013, 6:47 pm

This has got off the topic a bit about coils, the same question about shafts has been asked here.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum