Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery problem

+2
boobook
bluedog
6 posters

Go down

Battery problem Empty Battery problem

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 6:59 am

thought I would go for a swing sunday evening and after I got set up me trusty battery and life line to me finding gold started humming away quite merrily doin its own thing and ontop of that was the tone from my settings which I usually have in the background...

Has anyone come across this befor--

Changed batteries and all good --obviously the battery is on the way out---3 year old battery

Then low and behold the head phones decided to crackle and carry on--replaced them and I was off again--

Stuff me -- the head light wasnt bright enough--back to the ute and a refurb on 3 aaa batteries which were starting to grow in their holder.

Has anyone had their battery of a gpx repaired or simply a throw away job?

Regards
oneday

ps--15grams of lead and a shirt button..yeah haa, theres hope yet.

Back to top Go down

Battery problem Empty Re: Battery problem

Post by bluedog Wed 06 Mar 2013, 7:27 am

hey oneday years ago when the money was very good for foxes if i miss the first two shoots with the 17 i would go home. So maybe it was not your night Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
cheers bluedog

bluedog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 7:36 am

The trouble is blue that as a roo shooter I learned that if u miss the 1st one u make up for it on the 2nd one...I would line two up and nail both with the next bullet--22/250. All my shots were head shots as any damage to the carcase was money down the drain..

A bit of trivia..

Regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook Wed 06 Mar 2013, 10:36 am

G'day oneday.
My battery on the 4500 I bought 2yrs. ago is original (2009) and considering (1) batteries dont go forever, and (2) the cost of a replacement (Minelab or Reeds etc.) I recently bought 8 li ion replacements from ebay.
Identical size, voltage and a/hr. cost $55.00 inc. postage from Hong Kong.
These are now in a packet with the soldering iron etc. for when the originals kark it in the scrub.
Looking inside the battery box I reckon 1hr. to replace plus an hr. or so for a top up charge.

In the "Big Smoke" at the moment (steaknkidney!) Amongst other things was looking for a pack of AA batteries, best I could see 10 (alk.) for $12.50. Then spotted an "extra bright" LED torch plus 24 AA alk. batteries for $9.00!
Miss out on these things living in the bush!
mike
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 2:07 pm

How long do the GP4500 batteries last on average? My two 4500s are about 2010 vintage.

I may just treat "my detectorette operator" to a new 5000 and then I have at least one functional machine if the 4500 batts pack up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 2:13 pm

with the aa -aaa batteries Mike--I usually buy the good ones as I have put the multi meter on the cheapies and there are duds amoungst them--u get what u pay for..

for the tector battery will look into that one..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 2:15 pm

2-3 years max then u would be wise to have a spare battery--

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:52 pm

Gday Oneday
Had my 4500 batt recelled by Minelab last year - $314!!!!
I'd be contacting Ismael Jones and buying one of his little wireless setups if I have to get it done again.
Bought my 4500 when they first came out - 5 years ago?
There are some guys on another forum that have plenty of info about recelling and one offered to do it for $140, after I'd used Minelab.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by araratgold Wed 06 Mar 2013, 5:34 pm

See this post :

mechanic has replied further down the page and offered his services..

Scroll down halfway on the first page and see the reply by Mechanic, he repacks them with quality Japanese cells for $140 plus post.

Cheers,
Rick
araratgold
araratgold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 7:41 pm

maybe give Mechanic the thumbs up on this site Rick and he can maybe tell everyone here what hes offering..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Mar 2013, 7:50 am

Mechanic (Mick) is a member here.

I've just PM'd him to have a look at this thread

He also fixes Woody's stuff-ups

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Thu 07 Mar 2013, 12:03 pm

My 4500 battery pack has gone faulty in the last week or two and I'm lucky to get two hours out of it. With the help of Mick the mechanic I'll have a crack at doing my own repack and advise how I go.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mechanic Thu 07 Mar 2013, 3:51 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for waking me up Robert!!!! lol!

Yes I rebuild the gpx batterys and replace the cells with high quality Japanese cells. You will get about 11 hrs run time(continuous) out of a refurbished pack. I have had to increase the price to a whopping $150 plus postage, as the cells I was using have been superseded by a slightly larger capacity cell, which costs a little more. I don't know how many years the new cells will last, but they should last at least as long as the original ML ones. I'll let you all know in a few years time!

Cheers Mick

Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Mon 18 Mar 2013, 2:31 pm

Did the repack and it was pretty straight forward. There is a small thermistor (I think) snugged up against one of the end cells that you have to watch out for. It's connected by two thin black wires and I'm guessing it is a temperature sensor and as such needs to be hard up against that cell. Otherwise, it's a pretty simple job if you have a good soldering iron and a few other minor tools.
5 hour charge and she's ready to go!
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum