Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the prospector missing out menzies way

+10
Nightjar
carms
matelot
krazycaptain
Bignuggs
goldpan
linlara
Digginerup
NuggieDreamer
albo
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

the prospector missing out menzies way  Empty the prospector missing out menzies way

Post by Guest Mon 28 Jan 2013, 9:06 pm

anyone heard anything about this or has he been found.

Back to top Go down

the prospector missing out menzies way  Empty the prospector missing out menzies way

Post by albo Mon 28 Jan 2013, 9:31 pm

Hi jitteryjim , going by posts on the gold prospecting forum he hasnt been found & police are suspending the search as of today. albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

the prospector missing out menzies way  Empty Re: the prospector missing out menzies way

Post by NuggieDreamer Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:35 am

What gives? they find SOS late last week scratched into the dirt... surely dogs can find him from there? What a Noob, woudn't you hang by a distress message? He'd have to be ant food by now...
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

the prospector missing out menzies way  Empty Re: the prospector missing out menzies way

Post by Guest Wed 30 Jan 2013, 5:51 am

hope everyone has picked up on the golden rule when lost---
DONT WALK.

Regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2013, 9:04 am

I take it no news on the prospector.

Back to top Go down

Post by Digginerup Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:18 pm

oneday monday wrote:hope everyone has picked up on the golden rule when lost---
DONT WALK.

Regards
oneday

Good rule ray but the conundrum lies in how far do you walk before you decide you are lost and it's time to stay still? Wink

Wayne. cheers

Digginerup

Back to top Go down

Post by linlara Mon 04 Feb 2013, 3:42 pm

we have done a fair bit of detecting around this area in the last 6 years
both being disorientated at seperate times for about an hour apiece.after this we bought a pocket gps because it frightened the shite out of us .after reading about this guy on the forum we have upgraded the aerial on the ute and will be purchasing a "spot"gps before we head back over in about 3 weeks "this is a timely reminder for everyone"

linlara

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2013, 6:11 pm

Hi Wayne
at the end of the day it doesnt really matter were u r or how far u r from camp..The point is u wont be putting kilometers in the road of your rescuers..
When out bush on the weekend I did put on the beacon of my tractor just to see how good it was and yes it was very effective..
12v flashin beacon on top of a hill may bear some fruit.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Digginerup Mon 04 Feb 2013, 7:28 pm

oneday monday wrote:Hi Wayne
at the end of the day it doesnt really matter were u r or how far u r from camp..The point is u wont be putting kilometers in the road of your rescuers..
When out bush on the weekend I did put on the beacon of my tractor just to see how good it was and yes it was very effective..
12v flashin beacon on top of a hill may bear some fruit.

regards
oneday

Yeah ray I hear you, but the natural process is to spend some time looking for the way home before deciding to camp and await rescue, it's an individual thing as to how much time and distance you travel to get to that point of sit down and wait, I'm just interested in what people here think is a reasonable time to search for a way back before that occurs.

Wayne. cheers

Digginerup

Back to top Go down

Post by goldpan Tue 05 Feb 2013, 10:43 am

Menzies bush is extremely scary...ive also been a little lost around menzies area.
the most important item i always carry just down from WATER, gps and spare batteries is a LIGHTER.....smoke is easy to spot for rescue teams.
i cant believe they still havent found this poor old bugger,not a nice way to go..R.I.P

goldpan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 05 Feb 2013, 8:01 pm

Here's something I was thinking about last night. what phase was the moon in on the night he walked from the camp. We all assume the Sun & Moon rises in the East and Sets in the West.
But as we all should know, depending on the time of year, they both have different paths. If he was little disoriented, as we generally are when we get up in the middle of the night, what moon there was to see could have confused him until sunrise. It's not all East and West. If he was camped East of the highway, he could have walked in either direction.
With the heat of the Sun, no water, after a fews days. well, I would start to wonder where I was.
It has turned into an unfortunate situation and I guess we will never know why it happened.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 05 Feb 2013, 8:20 pm

Probly in the early stages of being lost have vehicles with flashing lights parked up at night [ Rays comment ] on prominent hills in the area would do the trick . You can see them for miles . Dont want to be mr obvius but you would have to think Mr Graham is RIP now. albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 05 Feb 2013, 8:41 pm

It put an idea in my head. An extendable pole with a solar powered red flashing light at the top. Tie it to a tree, how much would it cost, bugger all and if ya have to go night detecting or walkies, ya in with a chance.
I did put a post about some solar powered spot lights that you can place around ya camp, if I get the chance to get out again, I'll be getting them.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 May 2013, 11:54 pm

Did they ever end up finding that guy that disappeared out Menzies way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 31 May 2013, 9:18 am

To the best of my knowledge they didn't.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by krazycaptain Fri 31 May 2013, 6:29 pm

The best information I received from a professional prospector was to always carry your GPS, mark your location and check that the way point has saved to your GPS before moving off.
I hope all fellow prospectors make the necessary arrangements for their own safety and that of their mates.
Best wishes
Captain
krazycaptain
krazycaptain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 May 2013, 6:33 pm

only trouble is captain, this bloke went for a early morning walk and disappeared mysterialistly of the Menzies landscape--u don't have 2 have half a brain and come up with ya own conclusion..all his gear was still in the vehicle..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by krazycaptain Fri 31 May 2013, 7:21 pm

Hi Oneday yes see your point. But to be finding new messages after all this time and these weather conditions is also very strange. I believe someone knows more than we are being told.
Regards
Captain
krazycaptain
krazycaptain

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 31 May 2013, 8:03 pm

I was always a little suspicious about this but that's my opinion. And I'll repeat what I have stated previously, there's more to this than meets the eye.
Our country is big, but if the man is out there, he will be found one day, dead or alive.
For saying that, I can feel the criticism coming now. But lets get real about, he walked for a reason. What that reason was, only he knows.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Fri 31 May 2013, 9:18 pm

Have to agree cliff , after the messages he left , the days got very hot there after & I don't want to be insensitive but if he did perish he would not be far from the last point of his known supposed wander which he left. with all the croud out there searching one would think the wiff would lead to his resting place. albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot Sat 01 Jun 2013, 11:02 am

Bignuggs and Albo, I agree. There is something fishy about all this.

Regards Roger pirat

matelot

Back to top Go down

Post by carms Sat 01 Jun 2013, 12:06 pm

supposedly the guy was sick, starts of dementia(prob spelled that wrong) or something like that, was actually talking about it today in the van park...after a few days of no water etc you could very easily walk straight down a shaft and it wouldn't take long before any signs etc were lost....if he is still out here in the scrub I believe he will be found this season but who knows , I just hope his family are handling the situation as best they can
carms
carms

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Thu 19 Dec 2013, 8:41 pm

News today:

http://www.news.com.au/national/western-australia/missing-prospector-michael-graham-died-of-misadventure/story-fnii5thn-1226786202331

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/20394507/call-for-mandatory-locator-beacons/

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 19 Dec 2013, 8:57 pm

This from his wife,

She said she had always believed that he would be found alive and was not convinced he simply disappeared.

"I thought he would be found," she said. "I think there's more to it to be honest and the inquest has not put those questions to rest."

It's a big area but I've always thort there was something sus about it.  Just my opinion.
As for the epirbs, damn good idea.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Fri 20 Dec 2013, 10:31 pm

Hopefully the mystery will be solved , if theres any sus info that may surface over time wel keep our ears open & help , albo .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next