Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

North Dandalup River

5 posters

Go down

North Dandalup River Empty North Dandalup River

Post by Biggest Kev Sun 09 Dec 2012, 6:33 pm

Went panning in the North Dandalup River a couple of days ago, a mate has some property there and the river is on his block. The banks are high and steep and not much water in the river, I walked along the bank look'n for gravels or rocks only found one likely spot it had a small bar of sand and gravel looked like the perfect spot to try. My mate made a bridge out of planks so I could get to the area. I did a pan of the top gravelly sand using 3 sieves to end up with fines in the pan, panned down to black sand it looked good but no colour. I decided to dig some material from the river bed which was compacted gravel and sand I did 3 pans from the same area digging deeper each time, plenty of black sand in the end of each pan but still no colour. While doing my last pan I became a blood donor to a leech so I decided to give it a miss. I really enjoyed sitting there by the water panning away nice and pieceful could really get into this but will try another spot next time.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

North Dandalup River Empty Re: North Dandalup River

Post by NuggieDreamer Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:57 am

Big Kev

Might want tp try Kronin Brook, (from a old newspaper clip)
Early in May 1915, it was again rumoured that gold had been struck in North Dandalup. A government geologist was sent and reported the find as being situated in Kronin Brook, just above its junction with the North Dandalup River. The gold was to be found in the bed of the creek for a 100m stretch. It was described as being thin and flat, with the majority of pieces being less that a centimetre, and most were mere specks. Even so, claims were still staked, with Gustus Luber and Edward Ernest Hart seeming to believe, against all the evidence that North Dandalup could provide payable gold.

Good Luck
ND
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiebrand Fri 14 Dec 2012, 5:37 pm

Hi Big Kev,

I've read about Kronin Brook and I think it's now under water from when they built the dam. Was thinking of doing some panning myself around that area and had read about Kronin Brook so did some research. all under water now by the looks of things, bummer. Still plenty of other creeks in the area so you might end up having a win after all.

Cheers,
John

Wiebrand

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty Mon 07 Jan 2013, 4:40 pm

All around the area where Cronin brook flows into the dam is being mined by Alcoa at the moment and you would not get access as they block off all the tracks into the area with gates, I,m in this area a fair bit and the ground just looks like bauxite, no sign of quartz at all. Chris
shorty
shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggest Kev Tue 08 Jan 2013, 9:05 am

Hi Chris,
Yeah mate I've given up on Nth Dandalup too hard basket, look'n at other creeks. Too bloody hot at the moment anyway, starting to melt.

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by Someday Tue 08 Jan 2013, 12:24 pm

G'day Kev
looken at that spot in your pic, the gravel looks way to small to hold any gold!
If you get another chance, try finding a nice low spot away from the water then do a couple of sample pans!!

Any flood gold found would suggest the creek bed is deep, and you were only scratching at the surface??

Just my opinion Suspect

Cheers
Chris.
Someday
Someday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum