Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what is this stuff?

+4
Goldbait
Zap
Bignuggs
jedda
8 posters

Go down

what is this stuff? Empty what is this stuff?

Post by jedda Sun 23 Sep 2012, 6:47 pm

This and the next pic are of 2 rocks i found today out an old mine the 1st is incredibally heavy for its size and made of the same stuff as the 2nd, which when the part on the left, the clear waxy part, is put under a jewelers light the browny wax turns green
most of the other debris looks like quartz that has had the ?rse burnt out of it (dunno if the a in front of rse is acceptable here) scratch

what is this stuff? 010_zps9c9fc0d5

what is this stuff? 011_zps86af2e76

jedda

Back to top Go down

what is this stuff? Empty Re: what is this stuff?

Post by Bignuggs Mon 24 Sep 2012, 9:06 pm

I'm no geo, but it looks likes pure iron ore to me.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jedda Tue 25 Sep 2012, 5:48 pm

iron ore is magnetic i haved tried magnets and nails and stuff but no love between them it has also been suggested that its magnetite,it looks like boulder opal potch, of which o have seen a fair bit, but its too heavy, in the 2nd pic the stuff on the edge looks like resin from a tree, but of course it aint...aaah well looks like another rock for my whatit bag to show a few rockhound friends

jedda

Back to top Go down

Post by Zap Tue 25 Sep 2012, 7:11 pm

Looks a bit like magnetite to me but i'm no expert.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Zap
Zap

Back to top Go down

Post by jedda Tue 25 Sep 2012, 7:41 pm

yep it does, but how come no magnetic attraction, if it is, and crazy pete also said it looked like magnetite
i am using a rare earth magnetit is not mettalic looking, rather more like the potch (vitrous glassy) i mentioned in a previous post

jedda

Back to top Go down

Post by Zap Tue 25 Sep 2012, 8:39 pm

I think it can be non-magnetic as well, but your geo mates should be able to tell you. scratch

Zap
Zap

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldbait Fri 28 Sep 2012, 2:53 pm

dolly it. that will tell u if there is gold inside.
Goldbait
Goldbait

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Fri 28 Sep 2012, 6:28 pm

Leaverite???
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by jedda Fri 28 Sep 2012, 6:32 pm

might do that (dolly it)
in a totally different light, i have been looking for a small hand held type of geiger counter, as i pick up heaps of differebt rocks and never know what most of them are, and to keep on the safe side etc, anyway i saw a radioactivity meter app available for android ( and iphones) for $4.00 or so, and i decided to try it, the flamin thing works
at work, the soiltesters use the nuke stuff etc, and i asked the bloke if i could see if it would pick up the cesium100 or whatever it was that he was using, the background count around here is from 17 cpm (cvounts per minute) to around 35 cpm (accoring to the app) when we placed it about 3 ft away from the nuke, it started going off and as we moved it closedr, it peaked at about 140 cpm, so for 4 bucks i have an app that actually detects nuclear radiation, handy as there has been uranium and thorite (monazite) found aropund where i go detecting at present

jedda

Back to top Go down

Post by jedda Wed 03 Oct 2012, 8:11 pm

gunna pu the ap to the test early next week against a geiger counter that has beencorrectly calibrated, just to see if early ndications of the application are T/F apparently, cesium 137 has a standard count, and is used to calibrate geiger counters

jedda

Back to top Go down

Post by Zap Wed 03 Oct 2012, 9:17 pm

Reckon it might BEEP loudy, that was my second guess U. Please let us know.
cheers Zap.
Zap
Zap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 03 Oct 2012, 9:40 pm

Let me see if I have this correct. A geiger counter has a sensor to pick readings, a mobile phone doesn't apart from an aerial to pick up ya calls.
I'm no expert with this stuff.
You say you have an app and I assume you mean for your mobile phone.
I was born a sceptic. Until I see it and I gotta see this live, not by vid clip, no way no way Suspect Suspect Razz

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jedda Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:50 am

me too BUT
apparently the app works off the csmos camera settings in the phone
you have to cover ther lens(s) with black tape so the lenses dont get damaged it was a german who came up with the app (german - nuclear??) anyway what i said is the whole truth yeronner, there is a lot of soil testing where i am working and they use the nuke stuff cesium 137, anyway i asked the operator if i could test the app out, he was a bit sceptical as well but you should have seen the ;look on his face when he got closer to the device and the counter went up from around 30 or whatever it was to firstly over 100 to around 130-40 ish, his geiger counter is currently being recalibrated so as i said when it gets back i am going to test it again
here is the link to the page with a lot of info on it

the guys name is rolf deiter klein

jedda

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:06 pm

I'm with Bignuggs on this one, something doesn't ring klein with this one. Very Happy
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:41 pm

I don't believe or disbelieve until I see it with my own eyes. But this does remind me of an early phone app which did an xray thingy so ya could see thru womens clothes. It was a big seller in it's day.
Now before ya all think it, I did not get it Evil or Very Mad Honest I didn't Very Happy I didn't I'm tellin ya's Razz
So I guess we all gotta wait to see what happens, it'll be interesting. cheers

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jedda Fri 05 Oct 2012, 5:19 am

the only way you will see it with your own eyes is to either watch the videos on youtube about it or buy it, it for the cost of an icecream,i also have a navigational gps app for my boat, i have the same thing in my sounder gps combo on the boat, that one cost 350 (software) and the app cost me $20 exactly the same system (navionics)
you can buy geiger counters for about 250 upwards so te price differentials are about the same when the soil tester gets back again i will vid him with his geiger and also with my app and post it here

jedda

Back to top Go down

what is this stuff? Empty what region?

Post by Outback Jack Thu 06 Dec 2012, 2:53 pm

Seen this before in very old Archaen Geology, it appears to be from an ultramafic dyke has very low iron content magnetite and is mostly silica, and maybe some picro ilmanite
It is volcanic and comes from above the first and below the second mantle.
Usually associated with other quite interesting fragmented minerals, in frozen moments
Just guessing

Outback Jack

Back to top Go down

what is this stuff? Empty PS

Post by Outback Jack Thu 06 Dec 2012, 2:59 pm

ps, might give you an interesting thorium reading

Outback Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Thu 06 Dec 2012, 11:16 pm

um il go manganese with a sulphide contact, albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Fri 07 Dec 2012, 5:24 am

welcome aboard outback jack looks like the IQ of DWAG just went up a few points cheers

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by jedda Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:26 am

Outback Jack wrote:Seen this before in very old Archaen Geology, it appears to be from an ultramafic dyke has very low iron content magnetite and is mostly silica, and maybe some picro ilmanite
It is volcanic and comes from above the first and below the second mantle.
Usually associated with other quite interesting fragmented minerals, in frozen moments
Just guessing

it is from the edge of lake dundas from a shallow sinking in the bed of a creek that runs from te lady mary minsto the lake

jedda

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Fri 18 Jan 2013, 9:59 pm

Well Jedda did you manage to find out what it was mate ? cheers albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down