Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

are these detector holes

2 posters

Go down

are these detector holes Empty are these detector holes

Post by craigant Sun 29 Jul 2012, 9:34 pm

hey all went out this weekend for the first time. found jack sh*t but allot of nails and wire. anyway i come across an area that had lots of small holes dug. there was no quartz laying on the ground in the area apart from what came out the these holes. i posted a couple of pics so you can see what i mean. am wondering if they are old time diggings or detector holes and if old time diggings what made them dig in the area?

also was driving off the track just wandering around and came across a sandy area with no vegetation. and it was totally covered with pebble sized bits of quartz's and i mean 10s of thousands of them and the area only covered about 30x30m and then the quartz thinned right out and vegetating started again. no sign of anyone ever being there and did not find anything myself. so should i normally run my detector over these areas?
are these detector holes Diggin10

are these detector holes Diggin11

craigant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jul 2012, 9:40 pm

hard luck craig hope you enjoyed ya trip.looks like ya picked up a 4x4 by the looks a mazda bout 99 model? i'm going out on the 7th aug mate hope i get a bit more luck then you.

jason

Back to top Go down

are these detector holes Empty Re: are these detector holes

Post by craigant Sun 29 Jul 2012, 9:45 pm

lojay wrote:
hard luck craig hope you enjoyed ya trip.looks like ya picked up a 4x4 by the looks a mazda bout 99 model? i'm going out on the 7th aug mate hope i get a bit more luck then you.

jason

yeah got a 2000 bravo. good nick too. does not have very long legs but the price was good.
7th aug? i will be at work other wise i would liked to have tagged along. good luck with it

craigant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jul 2012, 9:50 pm

Photo #1 doesnt look like a detector hole to me, too big,looks like
its about 3ft wide, could be a test hole from less than 30yrs ago.

Photo #2 is a differant story, its an old shallow costeen (trench)
were you see the piles of quartz is were they found something and
looked a bit deeper.

I would even hazzaed a guess and say Southern Cross area ??

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jul 2012, 9:59 pm

yeah mate didn't line up this time but there will be others. don't suppose if you noticed if paynes find had L.P.G did ya being a bit off a fish ar*e i can get there and back on the cheap fuel if it has it.the trip between dalwallinu and magnet is just on me lpg range might get a bit tight i suppose a tank off the good stuff won't hurt the pocket to bad lol!

i'd swing a coil over those area's mate but i'm no pro just be looking for changes in the landscape.things that look a little different did you head up where you said you were going?
jason

Back to top Go down

Post by craigant Sun 29 Jul 2012, 10:07 pm

Crazy Pete wrote:Photo #1 doesnt look like a detector hole to me, too big,looks like
its about 3ft wide, could be a test hole from less than 30yrs ago.

Photo #2 is a differant story, its an old shallow costeen (trench)
were you see the piles of quartz is were they found something and
looked a bit deeper.

I would even hazzaed a guess and say Southern Cross area ??

Pete Cool
cool was wondering what that trench was, it had me buggered. your spot on regarding the area, did you follow me lol. that was just north west of the cross. both photos are in the same area. your right photo 1 is about 3 foot. and there was 20 or 30 of these holes some only 1 foot big. and then that trench. so are these assicated with aluvial gold?

craigant

Back to top Go down

Post by craigant Sun 29 Jul 2012, 10:10 pm

lojay wrote:
yeah mate didn't line up this time but there will be others. don't suppose if you noticed if paynes find had L.P.G did ya being a bit off a fish ar*e i can get there and back on the cheap fuel if it has it.the trip between dalwallinu and magnet is just on me lpg range might get a bit tight i suppose a tank off the good stuff won't hurt the pocket to bad lol!

i'd swing a coil over those area's mate but i'm no pro just be looking for changes in the landscape.things that look a little different did you head up where you said you were going?
jason

no jason did not get up to paynes find but a bloke at the pub in southern cross told me to head up there

craigant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jul 2012, 10:16 pm

Not alluvial holes but leader chasers, the old timers called them blokes "Aristocrats" because they were the top prospectors looking for the source not alluvial.

No fuels of any kind at Paynes find, only over priced stale grub and a filthy dunny hahaha.
Last fuel stop is at Wubin then non until Mt Maggot.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 29 Jul 2012, 10:34 pm

I've seen these everywhere. Quartz head poking outa the ground and it had been dug up. Nothing near the top, so they didn't dig anymore. The old timers knew something but they moved on.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Jul 2012, 7:23 pm

i dont think their gold holes either.....and the costines.....well i still dig em....lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Jul 2012, 9:07 pm

Crazy Pete wrote:Not alluvial holes but leader chasers, the old timers called them blokes "Aristocrats" because they were the top prospectors looking for the source not alluvial.

No fuels of any kind at Paynes find, only over priced stale grub and a filthy dunny hahaha.
Last fuel stop is at Wubin then non until Mt Maggot.

Pete

agreed inregards to paynes find , goodness knows how they survive!

sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum