Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TWO prospectors rescued

3 posters

Go down

TWO prospectors rescued Empty TWO prospectors rescued

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jul 2012, 10:35 am

TWO prospectors rescued 51664710

TWO prospectors have been rescued after activating an emergency distress beacon near Meekatharra, about 800km north-east of Perth.
Police and search crews responded to the EPIRB at 8.15am, sending a spotter plane to fly over the area in search of the men.

Two hours later, the pilot identified six vehicles, including a Toyota Hilux where two men had been waiting, one of whom had sustained a hip injury.

The injured man was transported to Meekatharra by ambulance.

A police spokesman said the search had been easier because the EPIRB was registered and the owner had provided information about who was in possession of the device as well as a description of the vehicle they were travelling in

Back to top Go down

TWO prospectors rescued Empty rescued blokes

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jul 2012, 10:58 am

geez lucky boys' could happen 2 anyone i guess. atleast they where prepared for the worst well done guy's and rescue crew.

pose's the question any good strandard out bush story's out there. had a hairy moment or 2?

just what i need b4 me 1st trip out bush, a few good story's to sink the [ what could be's ] in me memory bank
thanx pete

jase

Back to top Go down

TWO prospectors rescued Empty Re: TWO prospectors rescued

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jul 2012, 11:12 am

Once ran outta Rizzla's Shocked
That was enough of a scare for me Razz
ended up rolling outta dunny paper but no matter how hard i sucked i couldn't get a decent drag on the bugger...

When out bush the main thing to keep in mind is that help is not near, so i never ever jump over stuff, walk backwards through trees or near shafts, detect in trees without a cap and Sunny's on (eye pokes) or get cheeky with fires.
There's no rush in a gold rush Safety first and foremost.
2 main things to carry are a GPS with camp marked in and a 2 way UHF walkie talkie.
Of course they ain't called accidents for nothing and thats when the sh*t hits the fan - Safety first mate Cool

Pete

Back to top Go down

TWO prospectors rescued Empty two prospectors rescued

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jul 2012, 11:17 am

pete you crack me up lol! :rolf: :rolf:

but yes serious sh*t and good sound advice

jase

Back to top Go down

Post by rc62burke Sun 29 Jul 2012, 11:24 am

Hi Jase
The only "what could be's" you need to think about is what could be under your coil.
Think positive, act positive & be positive & you will be fine & above all DDSSOB ( don't do stupid sh*t out bush ).
Oh & good luck
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 29 Jul 2012, 1:33 pm

Something to think about is a vehicle installed cb radio. Had one years ago and it kept me intouch with the outside world.
I used to check in at night with a Kal based amateur radio operator who was near 200ks away.
There's some handhelds on the market but not sure of the range capabilities.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbaragold Sun 29 Jul 2012, 7:22 pm

The prospector hurt is now in RPH with some broken bones. They were only a few kms from the main highway but when things like this happen and if your just out of sight from a main track or highway and cant move a couple of hundred meters is enough to be in big trouble.

So please take an EPIRB and make the extra effort to register it. Makes it so much easier for the people looking for you.

Good on the Meeka cops, ambos and the people in Canberra who monitor the EPIRBs

pilbaragold
pilbaragold

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 29 Jul 2012, 11:35 pm

might be an idea to get some smoke flares. don't know what the price would be, but an idea.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 30 Jul 2012, 12:13 am

I think I've said somewhere on here before, there are too many tracks running everywhere and we can thank the companies/drilling mobs for that. There are times you think you are on the right track, guess what, you aren't and ya lost. Use your natural instinct, maps (which are usually outa date), GPS, and back track to where you started from.
Sounds a bit drastic doesn't it, well no it isn't. WA looks small on a map but once ya out there it's totally different.
All I can say is "make sure you are well prepared". Even West Ozzies get lost and hurt (not all of us, just the dumb bastards).

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down