Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got a few and just made it back.

+5
Flying kiwi
Goldbait
snapper
rc62burke
K town swinger
9 posters

Go down

Got a few and just made it back. Empty Got a few and just made it back.

Post by K town swinger Thu 24 May 2012, 4:25 pm

Managed to get away for a trip into the back blocks a couple of weeks ago to take advantage of the cooler temps.I chose an area in between two patches of known alluvial occurrences,one patch approx 36km to the east and the other 30km to the west of where I set up camp.Getting in close to my intended spot was slow going as no tracks,had to wind up the creeks in low 4WD until I found a suitable spot to take the bike off the ute.The first night was spent enjoying a few coldies in the cool nite air ,enjoying the goings on around the campfire.The large huntsman spiders were circling the fire like Indians,it was unreal to see them pounce on the moths etc that had flown above the flames and got singed wings and fell to the ground.Natures TV at its best.Gotta start to take videos of this type of stuff.The next day packed the detector into the back pack and went for a ride winding through the small dry gully’s looking for likely ground,about 3km from camp found a gully full of quartz (the nice red stained stuff) and iron,cranked the 5000 into action and started walking towards a reef that was intersecting the gully. First target was almost immediate and a small bit of gold,started to get that feeling of have I just stumbled onto a virgin gully.I gave that spot the best part of 3 days up and down with the detector and could only manage 4 more little bits but that how it goes sometimes,at least I knew there was gold eroding into the gully’s.The fourth day saw me venture in further and ride up a couple of the smaller hills in the area for a look with the binoculars.Towards the east south east I could see some large quartz razor backs lining the ridges and dipping into the gully’s so I made a bee line to them and when I started riding up one of the larger creeks to get closer I found an old timers stone stove and an old pick head lying on the edge of the slate bar that crossed the creek near the stove.This is always a good sign in this sort of country as they didn’t often take the time to build camps if they hadn’t found anything.Riding up about 100mtrs from the camp the side of a small gully had a few test holes and piles dug so I gave it a go and only managed a bit of rubbish,walked to the top of the gully and looked over the other side and bingo,the whole creek had been worked.Went back and got the bike and after a bit of wheel spinning and copping a few golden orbs in the head I made it in.Turned on the detector and signals were everywhere as I’d expected.I concentrated on the shallower sections first and only started digging the faint signals and started to ping a few small ones,moving downstream into the deeper stuff I started to dig some bloody deep holes for the relics that had been left behind but was also getting some gold in amongst it all.Did a full day in that gully and I was knackered so decided to head back to camp for a well deserved tinny and that’s when my day turned to shite.Taking a run up on the bike to get up the hill I hit a rock half way up and that threw me and the bike into a tree which popped my shoulder out of its socket(Bloody Painful) and down I went falling onto my back and thankfully pushing the shoulder back in.Lying there calling myself every swear word I knew I could smell a burning smell and looked up and saw my boot had come off and the exhaust was burning through my sock and foot,kicked the bike off and laid there for a while in pain.I managed to get the bike back up and got it started (thank god for electric start otherwise it would have been a long walk back in the dark).Pushed the bike using the motor to get back to the main creek and then could just manage to ride back to camp.Gave the missus a quick call on the sat phone and told her what had happened and that I’d be heading home.Had to wait until morning to get the bike back on the ute and then headed off but I’ll be back to that spot but will do a bit more walking this time,shite like that in the middle of nowhere can be a bit daunting.
K town.

Last edited by K town swinger on Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photo bucket account U/S)

K town swinger

Back to top Go down

Got a few and just made it back. Empty Re: Got a few and just made it back.

Post by rc62burke Thu 24 May 2012, 5:05 pm

Hey K Town
Thanks for taking the time to write up your story, sounds like you had some fun, very nice gold too.
Sounds like you had a little bit of luck coming through your mishap okay!
Bet you can't wait to get back there.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 5:13 pm

Great story, fantastic finds, thanks for sharing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 5:17 pm

Some nice chunks there Ktown, well done on them and the relics, looks
like the rats ate the bone handles off them old knifes.
Glad ya made it out in one flame grilled piece.
Thats the main reason i wont ever use a bike to prospect, me likes life to much
and its not far to fall from standing when ya pissed Razz

Lookin forward to the next installment when ya get a chance to hit that old gully
and the slopes again mate.

Cheers
Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Thu 24 May 2012, 5:26 pm

great effort on your story and gold found, hope the shoulder and foot are fine now, the countryside looks alot different than here in laverton, i hope to get up that way oneday cheers Stu
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldbait Thu 24 May 2012, 6:11 pm

shame about the accident. love the pieces of gold you found. that place would definately be worth going back to with the quality of gold u pulled out of there.

great story. loved reading it.
Goldbait
Goldbait

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Thu 24 May 2012, 7:10 pm

thanks for sharing mate good to see you beeped some nice peices and on new ground even better!! Cool
allways a bit dodgey goin solo way off the beaten path, the odd reminder now and again dont hurt to keep ya grounded

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Got a few and just made it back. Empty your trip

Post by gut feeling Thu 24 May 2012, 7:17 pm

well done mate, Great trip you had ,next time give me a yell if you want a second person!
gut feeling
gut feeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 7:44 pm

shows ya one thing mate--you just never know what lies around the corner and how easy it is to get hurt,--maybe u need a quad,,--U r getting on u know..lol! 4 wheels are better than 2.

Long as u r OK comrade--the gold will always be there for next time.

regards

Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post by lbg dreamer Fri 25 May 2012, 8:24 am

Wow you were really lucky to make it back, and you got some nice gold too
But it just goes too show how quickly things can go pear shaped in the bush .
By posting the storie that goes with the gold finds you may have saved someone's life , that is not used of the outback and the dangers that maybe present ,
People may think twice before they leap ,
Glad you are ok

lbg dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by maladjusted Fri 25 May 2012, 5:08 pm

Great story and pics, wonderful descriptions of the country too....can't be that easy to get around in.

Looking forward to the next instalment....perhaps after you get some new socks and boots... Wink Very Happy

maladjusted

Back to top Go down

Post by K town swinger Sat 26 May 2012, 6:18 am

Thanks for the comments guy's.Will be back out that way for sure,i've only just come good but the foot is still giving me a bit of curry,broke both middle toes and the burn is no more but have a nice scar to remind me of taking it easy when i'm out remote by myself.

Cheers
K town.

K town swinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 May 2012, 7:39 am

couple of busted toes--harden up you have still got 8 more..

hope u didnt damage the new boots or coil u just bought of me..i'll be really peeved.

All in good fun-get well soon

regards

oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post by K town swinger Sat 26 May 2012, 8:45 am

Those boots mate probably saved me from greater damage because of being slip ons when they caught on the foot peg they had enough give to slip off .I reckon if i had the lace ups on i would have snapped an ankle.Anyway it was a wake up call and i'll be leaving the hills alone for a while.

K town

K town swinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 May 2012, 10:01 am

GOT SOME 300CC QUADS u might b interested in and ramps so u can unload anywhere anytime--4x4 4x2 diff lock all the fruit
hear from u soon
regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Mon 28 May 2012, 6:46 pm

Good work on the nice finds mate. Hope you heal up quick so you can get back out there.
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down