Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

york caravan

4 posters

Go down

york caravan Empty york caravan

Post by Makaw Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:38 pm

Pretty stoked i picked up a ripper York van cheap as chips.
The guy that sold it to me is a mate at work, and X van sales man. He did me a massive favor on the price, as he could have sold it for 3k more than i got it for.
So far i have 350litres of water onboard, solar 80 watt, sleeps 6, needs a little tidy up , but its in great nick for its age.
Just need to sort out the fridge problem, its not working, but i have a spare 80litre 12/ 240 fridge freezer i normally use anyway.
New truck tyres on it, and new double innerspring matress.
Never had a van, only ever used swags or tents. I am over the swag thing, i spend neally 3 months in one in W.A desert tanamai, and stony desert, and around willuna and canning stock route., waiting for dingoes to attack me during the night, lol
Atleast now i will be comfy and self sufficient. No more need for powered sites or camp grounds.
Any tips you guys recommend as far as set up or things that could go wrong, or spares i should carry? I.E silicone for the roof etc. spare wire, zip ties etc.
Not planning on doing a long trip in it for atleast 12 months or more. But it will be home for 2 weeks over xmas.
Makaw
Makaw

Back to top Go down

york caravan Empty Re: york caravan

Post by golden Thu 01 Dec 2011, 6:05 pm

any chance you post a picture to see how the beast look like?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Dec 2011, 6:15 pm

Sounds pretty good Makaw, especially with mates rates!

If you were going on a remote trip I would be taking wheel bearings for it and before leaving making sure that the suspension is up to scratch. Even with alot of the new caravans (not going to mention brands) one thing that lets some of them down is the poor suspension they are using, 30 year old vans have the same deal :?: the newer vans need to lift thier game in this area I feel.

would love to see some pics of your new van, vans are so much easier!!! I decided I'm too old for that tent caper now. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaw Fri 02 Dec 2011, 7:16 pm

I will drop up some pics tomorrow, night, i have just spend 11 hours picking it up, getting the lights working, fitting internal oak doors, and adjusting them, pulled out the old fridge, pulled out the old bed, now i have to make a frame up 550 mm high for it to go on, so my new water tank fits under it.
Bolted the new water tank down, have to get some fittings for it tomorrow.
Wired up a 12 volt battery internally to run off the solar panel, WOW doesnt 50 amp wiring go up in smoke when you connect it up wrong.
That cost me a bit of time rewiring again.
Replaced the flyscreen on the front door.
soaked everything in CRC.
Replaced all bulbs.
Cant check any of the 240 as theres no 15 amp output in this house.. No idea how i am going to check the 240 until i can find a 15 amp outlet.
Some internal panels need replacing, so thats an after xmas job, I have 3 tubes of sikaflex to reseal the roof, not sure if it still leaks or if it was fixed, but if i do it now atleast i know its done. Then the solar can be bolted on to the roof.
I wouldnt be taking this old girl too far until the springs, hubs, and bearings have all been replaced... They all look good, but they are still old.
Microwave and air con to go in tomorrow.
Might even drop in a 600mm oven, I have a few new smeg ones floating around in the garage..
Off for a roadworthy Monday, it should breeze thru that..

Makaw
Makaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaw Sat 03 Dec 2011, 5:50 pm

Spent the day, resealing all the joins externally, what a job, especially the roof.
A few hours to knock up the bed frame with storage underneath.
Still got a few hundred hours left to do on it, but thats where i am up to..
Still have to resheet the walls, rebuild the seats. etc.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Makaw
Makaw

Back to top Go down

york caravan Empty Re York Caravan

Post by matelot Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm

Don't forget the "U" bolts. Very hard to get in W.A. outside Perth. I broke one near Capricorn Roadhouse.
None in Newman, none in Port hedland, none in Broome, none in Katherine (NT). Lucky I only wanted to replace my spare. I now carry four.
Regards Roger

matelot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Dec 2011, 1:18 pm

Makaw wrote:I will drop up some pics tomorrow, night, i have just spend 11 hours picking it up, getting the lights working, fitting internal oak doors, and adjusting them, pulled out the old fridge, pulled out the old bed, now i have to make a frame up 550 mm high for it to go on, so my new water tank fits under it.
Bolted the new water tank down, have to get some fittings for it tomorrow.
Wired up a 12 volt battery internally to run off the solar panel, WOW doesnt 50 amp wiring go up in smoke when you connect it up wrong.
That cost me a bit of time rewiring again.
Replaced the flyscreen on the front door.
soaked everything in CRC.
Replaced all bulbs.
Cant check any of the 240 as theres no 15 amp output in this house.. No idea how i am going to check the 240 until i can find a 15 amp outlet.
Some internal panels need replacing, so thats an after xmas job, I have 3 tubes of sikaflex to reseal the roof, not sure if it still leaks or if it was fixed, but if i do it now atleast i know its done. Then the solar can be bolted on to the roof.
I wouldnt be taking this old girl too far until the springs, hubs, and bearings have all been replaced... They all look good, but they are still old.
Microwave and air con to go in tomorrow.
Might even drop in a 600mm oven, I have a few new smeg ones floating around in the garage..
Off for a roadworthy Monday, it should breeze thru that..

Makaw, do you have a 6" angle grinder? if so fit one of those thin cutting blades (1mm ones) remove the male socket from the van you should be able to remove the housing around the pins. Once out you cut down the earth pin(down the lenght of the pin) to suit a 10amp female plug. Or you buy a female 15amp plug from a electrical wholesaler and wire it up to an extension lead, you can still use it for 10 amp as well as 15amp.
Theres ways around things Wink .
Cheers
John

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaw Wed 21 Dec 2011, 5:02 pm

Cheers, I have aquired on loan a 10 to 15 amp extension lead. Might just grind down the pin as you suggest, as it looks like an easier way. I am running 3 x 40 watt bulbs so i dont need 15 amp's.
Makaw
Makaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec 2011, 5:37 pm

Be careful if you are going to grind down the earth pin, it can get hot and melt the plastic housing and even fall out...I used to cut them down but I've found it easier just to wire on a whole new 10amp plug. give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Back to top Go down

Post by silverback Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:44 pm

Dont bolt your pv panels to the roof.Make up a frame and connect to the corner of the roof and sides.Panels on the roof will eventually cause it to collapse and create lovely puddles up top ready to leak into any seam it can.
silverback
silverback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum