Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

swags for the bush

+5
Peaky
gcause
xxxxGold
pilbarachad
big chop
9 posters

Go down

swags for the bush Empty swags for the bush

Post by big chop Mon 16 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

g'day all hows it goin'
i'm thinking about buying a swag after last trip i found myself on a foam matress with my sleeping bag (which is a real piece a sh*t and very sticky when hot) covering my whole body to protect myself from mosquitoes and midges. After getting limited amount of sleep because of being really hot i thought i'd buy a swag to protect myself from that and dew (i hate waking up all wet Mad ) would be awesome to here if you've got a swag and wat type.
cheers for any info lochie

KALGOORLIE:hannan,flanagan,0'shea COOLGARDIE: Bayley, Ford SOUTHERN CROSS:Riseley, Toomey LEONORA: sullivan,booden MOUNT MAGNET: woodley,sampey CUE:Cue,fitzgerald,HeffernanMEEKATHARRA:Connolly SANDSTONE:Hack,Dent HALLS CREEK: Hall, Slattery
big chop
big chop

Back to top Go down

swags for the bush Empty Re: swags for the bush

Post by Guest Mon 16 Apr 2012, 7:43 pm

young fella

u have a mirage of opportunities with swag set ups..

the best one is to get a troopy..put a set of draws in it window to window and right up to the front seats--outdoor carpet ontop and a foam mattress to lay on-get a very good sleeping bag and a very good swag--the winters in the gold fields get bloody cold--the winds blow of the desert and u know about it around 3am..plus I have a blanket inside my swag just in case I find some sheela lost in the bush and she needs to get warm. yep u will be very dry.

this year I brought about 8 solar lights from my favourite place and I will b setting them up just outside to point me in the direction of the piss tree..

Another good idea is a narva workshop handheld light--the blue version with 8 hours of continual use--LED and are nice and bright--12v and 240 chargers. Last about 3-4 days--depends who sits up all night and dribbles on around the camp fire.

Me mate has got those camp stretches that are off the ground and has a mozzie screen over the top--dont know what hes goin to do when it decides to rain..We both have side awnings on the drivers side of our vehicles--2.5 x 2m they are bloody great. I always like to face my car in a northerly direction, solar panel on the roof and when u get back in the arvo the awning is in the shade.

A good size tent wouldnt go astray

More later -give some of these other fellas a go

regards

oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post by big chop Mon 16 Apr 2012, 7:55 pm

yer i was gunna get some foam and put valcro on it then put velcro on the sleeping bag so it will stick to each other . but i then want something to cover myself from the elements. Very Happy ?

KALGOORLIE:hannan,flanagan,0'shea COOLGARDIE: Bayley, Ford SOUTHERN CROSS:Riseley, Toomey LEONORA: sullivan,booden MOUNT MAGNET: woodley,sampey CUE:Cue,fitzgerald,HeffernanMEEKATHARRA:Connolly SANDSTONE:Hack,Dent HALLS CREEK: Hall, Slattery
big chop
big chop

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Mon 16 Apr 2012, 8:36 pm

Mate ive got a jolly swagman swag and it is pretty good. Its the only type ive used or even looked at for that matter so cant say how it compares to others. Does seem to be very well made though. I will say it gets fricken stinking hot inside it, not sure where you spend your time out bush, but im going to be investing in a little battery operated fan before my next outing.
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by big chop Mon 16 Apr 2012, 9:06 pm

what type of jolly swagman is it ?
cheers lochie

big chop
big chop

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Mon 16 Apr 2012, 9:35 pm

Its the matilda in XXtra large.
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by big chop Tue 17 Apr 2012, 10:55 am

cheers i was looking at that one as well that or the burke and wills ironbark? :?:

big chop
big chop

Back to top Go down

Post by xxxxGold Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:47 pm

Some new swags from Kulkyne Camping currently on a special offer>

Best

xxxxGold

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
xxxxGold
xxxxGold

Back to top Go down

Post by gcause Tue 17 Apr 2012, 6:10 pm

BCF has a few also:

Back to top Go down

Post by gcause Tue 17 Apr 2012, 6:23 pm

Check out the army disposal stores also:

Back to top Go down

swags for the bush Empty Swag

Post by Peaky Wed 18 Apr 2012, 7:07 am

Big Chop

I Have a Oztrail Mitchell King Swag

I have slept in this for over a week at a time and have had no dramas

Just got one for my son cost $199.00 but if you look around you can find them cheeper

Hard to see in the below photo but the swag has 3 bars to keep the swag off you and gives you heaps of room to move around.

Has also got the fly mesh so you can sleep with the to open but the mesh closed so the mozzies dont get ya

Regards

Peaky

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post by big chop Fri 22 Jun 2012, 6:50 pm

i just wanted to tell you guys (altough you probably don't care ) that i have bought a swag a burke and wills waratah single can't wait to brake it in out at sandstone :)
cheers lochie

big chop
big chop

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 22 Jun 2012, 6:58 pm

Lochie, we always care about what you do. Now we need a pic of you crashed out in ya swag surrounded by empty tinnies cheers

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jun 2012, 7:43 pm

Course we care cobber, cant beat a swag mate,roll it out n crash hard
when well oiled up after a good swingin day.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by big chop Fri 22 Jun 2012, 7:55 pm

lol righto will do guys
cheers

big chop
big chop

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jun 2012, 8:09 pm

Struff -- i remember when I first got a swag--took it bush -rooled it out on my camper stretcher -- jumped in and nearly froze to death that night--no one told me to take a bloody good sleeping bag and a pillow--only ever done it once..now I take a vinyl tarp and that keeps any moisture of me and the swag..it was an old ALP banner and put it to good use..
regards
oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 22 Jun 2012, 10:35 pm

Good point. Ground sheet. Not sure about the poly type these days. They don't seem to do the job. ya need a good sleeping bag and a bit of good quality canvas underneath ya is better. But then again, my old bones can't hack the cold and it does come thru the ground.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

swags for the bush Empty Swags for you and maybe someone else!

Post by batedbreath Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:00 pm

Hey guys
This mob do great swags have a good look around there site, if you have found some of the yellow stuff recently maybe you would like to buy one for a fellow Aussie down on his luck, like i said have a good look around the website here it is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers
Derek

batedbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Digginerup Tue 22 Jan 2013, 8:09 pm

Beds are a personal kind of thing, there are any number of swag types for sale out there, you can spend a small fortune or you can rustle up a good camp for not much if you want too, I find I change what I use with the location and expected weather and whether I'm in a tent or under a tarp or how much room I have to carry gear, adding or removing a blow up or rubber mattress or blanket here and there, wool or synthetic doonas are great shite and a suspended mozzie net if your not in a tent can mean all the difference between a good sleep or waking up at 3am with a bug in your ear! lol!, I love my old iron shearers cot, she will hold a ton and is 18"off the ground, surprisingly comfy for a bed made of security fencing wire, only prob was the bastard was a bit noisy when I roll my carcass around in it so I recently removed the wire mesh and substituted some old fishing net and nylon rope I have had laying around for years, not the prettiest and "a bit grandad" Rolling Eyes as my brother likes to say but it works and I choose function over form anyday!! Wink

Wayne. cheers

Last edited by Digginerup on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:42 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Digginerup

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 25 Jan 2013, 12:35 pm

Mitchell King Single is an excellent piece of gear for a good nights sleep even if ya don't set it up completely.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluedog Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:16 am

hey big chop have a look at the camp cot they are great . Very Happy Very Happy
cheers bluedog

bluedog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content