Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Eastern Goldfields - Kookynie To Laverton - Ebook/PDF

2 posters

Go down

The Eastern Goldfields - Kookynie To Laverton - Ebook/PDF Empty The Eastern Goldfields - Kookynie To Laverton - Ebook/PDF

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:20 am

Great Historic account and research Info here.

http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/doview/nla.aus-vn5056416-p.pdf

Back to top Go down

The Eastern Goldfields - Kookynie To Laverton - Ebook/PDF Empty Re: The Eastern Goldfields - Kookynie To Laverton - Ebook/PDF

Post by boobook Tue 20 Mar 2012, 5:26 am

Thanks Pete for that most interesting read.
I really enjoy the history of the early settlers wherever in Australia.

Whilst not among the early ones, my sister and I came with our parents from England in 1949 to settle on nearly 3000 acres of East Gippsland bush.

Dad was a carpenter and we soon had a rudimentary "house" with a bark roof.

Mum cooked with camp ovens, lights were Tilley, (all of which I still have) and my sister still has the original "Coolgardie" safe.
Later refrigeration was a Defender kero unit and eventually we had some power by way of a 32v. lighting set.
Our first wireless was my home made crystal set, not altogether reliable due to our location.

After schooling I worked in various bush jobs learning to fall timber and operate a dozer.
Still have the chainsaw (36" cutter bar) I bought new in 1959.

I think Nostalgia should have been my middle name!
mike

mike
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

The Eastern Goldfields - Kookynie To Laverton - Ebook/PDF Empty Re: The Eastern Goldfields - Kookynie To Laverton - Ebook/PDF

Post by Guest Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:03 am

Mike

What an unreal childhood you must have had mate, and east Gippsland was and still is a beautiful place.
I grew up in a north England coal mining town full of filthy slag heaps and smoking tall chimneys, not a
very nice place and all i could think of as a kid was running away to Liverpool and hiding on a ship to
Australia or Canada.
Dad worked 3 jobs just to feed us all and we never had a blankets on the beds, just dads old army trench
coats, but i did have old castles near me so playing around them with toy swords was the go....

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:52 am

Monty Python, what great memories. Very Happy
What we were, "Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred. Strong in th' arm, weak in thee hed! Cool
Went through the bombing of Sheffield, us in the cellar with Dad on air raid warden duties. His war time job was in the building of the paratroop gliders.
That is one part of life I dont look back on. :silent:

Now for more of your research history, thanks Pete. cheers
mike
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:22 pm

Mad Dogs and Englishmen (good album too) Razz
Part of me don't come far from ya's. Littleover, Derby (and some from the Nottinghamshire area). But the buggers had enuff of the place and came to WA in 1875.
And my favourite convict was here in 1863 :rolf:

Don't ya just love it whgirt No wonder people reckon I should be locked up :rolf:
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum