Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SILICON YES OR NO?

+2
Bignuggs
ronybaby49
6 posters

Go down

SILICON YES OR NO? Empty SILICON YES OR NO?

Post by ronybaby49 Wed 03 Mar 2021, 7:38 pm

Hi all, I have in the past applied a bead of silicon to the edge of the coil where the skid plate meet on my vlf GMT goldmaster.
This from my experience had no negative effect on the performance of the machine. That said i wonder if the same could be
done on a 14x9 evo sitting on a gpx 5000. I hate replacing coil tape on evo's . Thanks in advance. cheers ron.

ronybaby49

Back to top Go down

SILICON YES OR NO? Empty Re: SILICON YES OR NO?

Post by Bignuggs Thu 04 Mar 2021, 9:23 pm

I did try silicon on a 16 inch round a few years ago, worse thing I ever tried doing. It was an absolute mongrel to get the skid plate off again.
Had to use silicon remover on the coil, threw the skid plate away and bought a new one. just my opinion.
Cheers
Cliff
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sat 13 Mar 2021, 12:59 pm

I got tired of replacing the tape all the time. It either wears away or the glue fails in the heat. When I built the fish pond I ended up with a spare tub of RTT sealant. It's a polymer paint and goes on about the consistency of honey.

SILICON YES OR NO? Blue_g11

I found it to be the most useful adhesive to have about so I filled a used tomato sauce bottle with the screw cap dispenser and took it in the boot. While away I put a small bead of it around the skid plate without putting it between the coil and the skid plate. It stayed in place for the entire trip and gave no negative coil performance.

SILICON YES OR NO? Nf10

I did the same to the NF 12"x8" and no dirt gets in there. I doubt I'll have any trouble removing it when the time comes.
Moneybox
Moneybox

rustyhooks likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rustyhooks Thu 18 Mar 2021, 10:20 am

I use the sika flex black sealant on my coils, just a thin smear around the edge it lasts the life of the skid plate and sticks like sh^%$ to blanket

rustyhooks

Back to top Go down

Post by ronybaby49 Thu 18 Mar 2021, 7:23 pm

Thanks for the reply's .I will give it a try on the evo 14x9 and see how it goes.
Looking forward to this season as i am not getting any younger.
cheers Ron. Very Happy

ronybaby49

rustyhooks likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rustyhooks Sat 20 Mar 2021, 9:02 am

I know the feeling Ronny i to am not getting any younger and cannot waite for the weather to cool a bit more and then northwest here we come cheers cheers cheers

rustyhooks

Back to top Go down

Post by geof_junk Sun 21 Mar 2021, 6:54 pm

Run this tape around your coil skid twice with a fair stretch it will form a strong rubber band that can be removed with a cut.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f72/19/88/70/23/sca_3210.jpg

geof_junk

Charlie 59 and Moneybox like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by salt-d Mon 22 Mar 2021, 6:23 pm

With the Evolution coils using using electrical tape I have found that not stretching it on to tightly works better, doesn't let go as when stretched around tightly, particularly in the hot weather. That SOS silicon tape looks ok geof-junk
salt-d
salt-d

geof_junk and Charlie 59 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum