Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

7000 GPZ

+3
pilko
araratgold
BIG GEM
7 posters

Go down

7000 GPZ Empty 7000 GPZ

Post by BIG GEM Wed 14 Feb 2018, 3:35 pm

Hi all

I had the second software upgrade last year on 7000 but due to ill health and a knee replacement, I havent been able to test the software upgrade. Has anybody been out and tested the software upgrade. Appreciate feedback and any setting that have to be used..

Thanks

Bob

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

7000 GPZ Empty Re: 7000 GPZ

Post by araratgold Thu 15 Feb 2018, 1:14 pm

BIG GEM wrote:Hi all

I had the second software upgrade last year on 7000 but due to ill health and a knee replacement, I havent been able to test the software upgrade.  Has anybody been out and tested the software upgrade.  Appreciate feedback and any setting that have to be used..

Thanks

Bob

It works well, especially noisy salty areas ! Audio ( threshold ) is a bit chattery, but the targets come through loud and clear ! " Locate Patch " mode is a GEM  !  " GEM "  ( get it ! )  Very Happy

Rick
araratgold
araratgold

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko Thu 15 Feb 2018, 1:58 pm

speaking about WA only....it's brilliant.

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Thu 15 Feb 2018, 7:52 pm

But hang on a minute! Way back two years ago, I complained that my original 7000 was a dog. So are we now saying that my machine that groaned like "BHP being asked to pay tax" until I couldn't stand it any longer,,,,was actually defective on any ground around Leonora that was within 500 kms of a salt pan?

I knew I was right! 7000 GPZ 3179412840

But now I don't do bippin', I don't really care about winning the point. Perhaps after 35 years of swinging a detector, it would be fair to say I knew a dog when I saw one!

What does this second update do? When was it issued? Have I missed something? I only know of one software update some time early last year.

But in defence of Minelab, they seem to have finally, finally understood that "salty" Western Australia is ground like no other and being about 2.2 billion years older than anything else on the planet I suppose we should forgive them. The geological chaos & the surface mineralisation here is beyond understanding by even geologists, it is so old and unpredictable. (and I know some of the best geologists in WA). Minelab, still the best detector on earth but if they used more West Australians as testers they'd be even better. Rolling Eyes

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko Fri 16 Feb 2018, 5:59 am

Hey Les....I think it's common knowledge that they released the 7000 well before it was ready....you know that. Maybe that comes under the business ethics banner?? The first two 7's were not right in my humble opinion...the third unit is definitely getting there.
Still...it's only a metal detector.

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM Fri 16 Feb 2018, 2:37 pm

Hi all,

Many thanks for your comments, very much appreciated. All going well, I hope to,use it on salt this season and will give my feedback.

Cheers

Bob

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko Fri 16 Feb 2018, 3:17 pm

don't know if it's THAT ready Bob??

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 16 Feb 2018, 7:39 pm

Wedgetail wrote:
But now I don't do bippin', I don't really care about winning the point. Perhaps after 35 years of swinging a detector, it would be fair to say I knew a dog when I saw one!
if they used more West Australians as testers they'd be even better. Rolling Eyes

Gone off topic a bit but I have to say this. I've edited statement from Les but I feel a bit vindicated about statements I've made about the 7. I had one of the first machines and I was not impressed after 2 years of use and especially seeing the machine being killed by a 5000.
Make up your own mind on the quality of the machine but I for one will not be buying another in the near future.
As for headphones, I just use the Koss, I've never had any problems.
Cheers
Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Fri 16 Feb 2018, 9:16 pm

Cliff your assessment could be real , I havnt heard or seen anyone getting a lot with a 7000 compared to a 5000 with an eliptical 17 11 mono really , so marginal , for big cost n hype . Swing swing beep beep on new ground , that’s where the big prize lays, not like I got 20 bits for a total of bluddy 3 gramma, bye
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Fri 16 Feb 2018, 9:31 pm

Ps , Or sit back n clean up on round 2 two of the BITCOIN rush , she’s off again yeha . Just go bush for bbq & stubbies⛏️
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Porter Wed 21 Feb 2018, 7:03 am

Wedgetail wrote:But hang on a minute! Way back two years ago, I complained that my original 7000 was a dog. So are we now saying that my machine that groaned like "BHP being asked to pay tax" until I couldn't stand it any longer,,,,was actually defective on any ground around Leonora that was within 500 kms of a salt pan?

I knew I was right! 7000 GPZ 3179412840

What does this second update do? When was it issued? Have I missed something? I only know of one software update some time early last year.

But in defence of Minelab, they seem to have finally, finally understood that "salty" Western Australia is ground like no other and being about 2.2 billion years older than anything else on the planet I suppose we should forgive them. The geological chaos & the surface mineralisation here is beyond understanding by even geologists, it is so old and unpredictable. (and I know some of the best geologists in WA). Minelab, still the best detector on earth but if they used more West Australians as testers they'd be even better. Rolling Eyes

Les, I spent more time in WA testing the GPZ than any other state, I also had more success in WA than any other state, I also had Minelab engineers wtih me in WA on 2 seperate occasions! ZVT was always going to stuggle with salt, that's the nature of ZVT and salt is also the nature of WA. The GPZ is not a dog, but it did initially get a bad rap because right at the same time as the release WA was dripping wet, and guess what happens to salt signals when the ground is water logged?

Since the GPZ came out Minelab have introduced the Ferrite and have also released two software updates. The last one includes a new mode called "Ground Smoothing" which has two filters which help with salt signals when the ground is water logged or when operators are trying to work in salty ground. Also in the last update they introduced a new ground balance option called "Semi Auto" which locks the Ferrite balance once the Quick Trak button is released, this helps prevent the Ferrite balance moving around when exposed to "Saturable" or "Salty" ground typically experienced in WA.

Hope this helps clarify a few misconceptions

JP

Jonathan Porter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum