Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cost of getting away

+2
boobook
cruiser1
6 posters

Go down

Cost of getting away  Empty Cost of getting away

Post by cruiser1 Sun 18 Oct 2015, 6:01 pm

Well after coming back from the last trip and paying around $40 for a box of beer I have decided to add stubbies to my home brew out-put at home now and will start making a heap for the next coming season. I have always gone with cans because of easy chilling factor,less chance of breakages etc but I thought this saveing could be used to offset the price of diesol and travel wider afield next season.With regard to breakages I will have to get the ol brain matter into gear and work out a suitable way of stowage in the engel so as to not lose too much fridge space.
Would be good to hear if anyone else takes away home brew and what there set up is.
I suppose you could call me a tavo (tight ar*e valiant owner).
Will have to see how the first trip goes,re breakages and take it from there.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Cost of getting away  Empty Re: Cost of getting away

Post by Guest Sun 18 Oct 2015, 7:41 pm

Stick with the cans but only drink em on special occasions, ie over 5 grams for the day have a beer or two, less then 5 =

McWilliam's Royal Reserve Medium Dry Sherry 2L - Standard Drinks 28,  $11.99  per bottle or 42 cents a standard glass. Its good gear. Cost of getting away  2517112348

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 Sun 18 Oct 2015, 8:46 pm

Gee`s Bigslick,if I had to wait for the 5gm/day I think Most of the beer would be coming back home with me lol.I aggree about the casks though as there is normally a few litre`s as back-up stowed away in the troopy.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook Mon 19 Oct 2015, 4:49 am

Although a nice chilled ale certainly hits the spot, for long term bush travel we find a Berry red Lambrusco goes down very well. Comes in 5l. casks and a couple of 1l. bottles decanted and chilled in the fridge doesn't intrude too much. Cool

Often on special, 10l. for ~$20, I buy up for the trip. Not all that easy to obtain in certain locations. Sad
This last winter left home with a stash, 110l. Lambrusco, 16l. Tawny port. Packed in plastic tubs for safety, have had the odd "leaker" which calls for a slight increase in the daily consumption. Shocked

Just lasted the 4month journey cheers  

Mike  Laughing  drunken
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 Mon 19 Oct 2015, 8:03 am

Sounds good your set up mike,especially the 1 ltre bottles chilled.The problem is I really hang out for a cold beer after a days walking in the scrub.Then later in the evening out comes the port.
Must admit though,I would not mind stumbling accross your camp as you certainly wont be dyeing of thirst.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Mon 19 Oct 2015, 8:25 pm

I was camped up at Ningaloo a few years back and the couple next to us distilled their own bourbon. First time I'd seen it. They had half a 20L drum full when we met them and it tasted damn fine!

I'm with you Phil, out bush I like a cold beer at knockoff time and some cask red and Makers Mark in the evening. If you have a freezer, those glad ice cube bags are great for making ice for drinks out bush.

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 Mon 19 Oct 2015, 8:42 pm

G`Day Stingray.Got hold of a heap of corona stubbies today off gumtree so no holding back now on the home brew.
Good idea about the ice bags in the freezer.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by Golditch Mon 19 Oct 2015, 9:14 pm

Hey Phil, if u use corona bottles make sure you keep them in the dark otherwise they won't keep and turn bad.
I can say from my own experience .
Cheers Dom

Golditch

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 7:48 am

Hi Dom.Yeah I was wondering about that being a clear glass.I have only used the old king browns in the past.The corona`s are boxed and will be covered with a blanket.There would be nothing worse than haveing a batch go off,especially if you are a few hundred clicks from the nearest pub.
Thanks for the warning.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by bluedog Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:24 am

How would you go putting them in the plastic water bottles you buy from wool worth the 600m you get the water in
Cheers col

bluedog

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 3:39 pm

Hi Col.I have never tried the plastic bottles before.As long as you could get a good seal they might be ok.
Thanks for the idea.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Tue 20 Oct 2015, 8:18 pm

The PET bottles breath and are not very good for the secondary ferment. I use to use the 5 ltr disposable kegs you buy. They usually come with German beer in them that you have to drink first Rolling Eyes . But it means a lot less bottling. I bought a dispenser tap that had a gas reg built into it. The gas is only used to pressurise the kegs and push the beer out the tap. From memory the tap cost about 50 bucks.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum