Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

first gold trip

+3
martinjsto
Bignuggs
peter_s
7 posters

Go down

first gold trip Empty first gold trip

Post by peter_s Mon 27 Jul 2015, 7:22 pm

My wife and I are off for two weeks on our first gold trip. done lots of research and reading so hope to be close to some gold. Time to christen my ML 4500 recently bought. Wish me luck cheers

peter_s

Back to top Go down

first gold trip Empty Re: first gold trip

Post by Bignuggs Mon 27 Jul 2015, 7:27 pm

Where a bouts are you heading ? and yep, best of luck and hope ya find some.
cheers
Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by peter_s Wed 29 Jul 2015, 3:32 pm

heading to the Murchison just east of MT MAGNET catching up with a mate

peter_s

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Wed 29 Jul 2015, 4:29 pm

good luck out there Peter, remember low and slow, it will pay dividends, i try to swing so that my coil goes over the same ground at least twice and its amazing that i find pieces on my own chain lines on the second pass. anywhere you see old holes usually will give you a result if your patient, especially if it wasnt chained. my last trip i found a few nice nuggets right next to old holes that the other person missed.
dont worry if you only get small sub gram pieces, they all add up and if they missed them then they also could of missed a larger bit.
cheers
martin

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by peter_s Wed 29 Jul 2015, 4:55 pm

Thanks Martin will do

peter_s

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Wed 29 Jul 2015, 6:34 pm

Hi Peter, good on you for giving it a go. Follow Martin's advice and you will increase your 'luck'.  The best advice I can give you, is listen to your machine. It might sound trite now, but one day you'll realise the importance of that advice.

I don't know how experienced you are with the 4500, but my advice would be to run in 'enhance' timing. Get a bit of lead shot say 2mm diameter and use it as a test target. If you can't detect that in enhance then you are doing something wrong. On the other hand, if you can detect it through all the background chatter, and you are in a known nugget producing area, you will find gold. It is not a matter of if, just when!

Good luck.

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon Thu 30 Jul 2015, 10:58 am

Goodluck Peter -dont waste too much time around Payneville if thats where you are heading it may have been good once but that was 50,000 prospectors ago-regards Dragon
purple-dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Peaky Thu 30 Jul 2015, 5:31 pm

Dragon

Dont think you are right there mate

no one gets all the gold

i would garentee you there is still good gold there

I know i would get gold there anytime it just about the time you put in

all areas are harder to get the easy gold
so now you need to work for it you say there is no gold left

dont think so

Peaky

Last edited by Peaky on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by goldseeker58 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 7:11 am

Hi Peter,
Yes, good advice, listen to your machine, go slow and low. But take your time and check the faintest change of the threshold, run your coil back over it, and if in doubt take off an inch or 2 and see if it gets louder. The number of pieces that I have found by just checking the faintest change, I've almost walked away thinking that it wasn't a target. Another tip, come in at a 90 degree and see if it sounds louder, it may only be ground noise, but then again it may be a sub grammer just deeper and barely audible.
Best of luck.
Goldseeker
goldseeker58
goldseeker58

Back to top Go down

Post by peter_s Sat 15 Aug 2015, 8:41 am

I'm back and unfortunately still a virgin Sad prospecting buddy managed 7 bits for a couple of grams all I managed to walk over were lead shot and old bullets but happy I was picking up the shot as they sound very much like the small bit my mate was finding. NEXT TIME maybe

peter_s

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sat 15 Aug 2015, 5:22 pm

yes all the knowledge in the world still wont find it if your not walking over it. nevermind, Peter, its good to get out there and put some hrs in, the more you do the better it will get. finding the small lead shot is common but if you find them you doing it right and will find gold, also remember when you find lead its good in my book, lead should of been dug if anyone who detects walked over it so that means gold could be missed also and be there too.
cheers
Martin

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by peter_s Sat 15 Aug 2015, 7:08 pm

think I'm on the right tack. ran into Albert at yalgoo more gold found the spot you posted the map of one piece of 8 grams, John found two bits there last week so still some around

peter_s

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum