Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

home made rock crusher

+3
martinjsto
Flying kiwi
shorty
7 posters

Go down

home made rock crusher Empty home made rock crusher

Post by martinjsto Mon 22 Jun 2015, 11:25 am

hi all, spent a lot of time dollying up the conglomerate i took back from the last trip and it was taking ages so i decided to knock upa rock crusher from an old disk rotor i had laying around. it has two chains inside to pulverise the rock and uses a drill to power it. seems to do a great job and only takes about 30 second run to get it to this fine.
cheers

home made rock crusher 20150623

home made rock crusher 20150624

home made rock crusher 20150625

home made rock crusher 20150626

home made rock crusher 20150627
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

home made rock crusher Empty Re: home made rock crusher

Post by shorty Mon 22 Jun 2015, 12:14 pm

BUT was there any gold ?
shorty
shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Mon 22 Jun 2015, 12:45 pm

only just started crushing Chris and have not panned it off yet. if i find some you will all know about it that's for sure, this is the stuff that came out of that noisy hole where i found a nice nugget and a nice specie in so hopefully there will be something for the effort.
cheers
Martin
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Mon 22 Jun 2015, 2:03 pm

Martin

if you were a Kiwi I would call the Kiwi ingenuity!!! what a sweet little setup using what you have.

but was there any gold?

cheers Tom
Flying kiwi
Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Mon 22 Jun 2015, 3:00 pm

still looking for the gold Tom, im hopeful there is something there and will do more investigating on the spot when i get back in a few weeks. the crusher is a bit rough but it does the job and didnt cost anything apart from a few welding rods and my time.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mingo Mon 22 Jun 2015, 8:46 pm

Martin, good timing. I brought home a rock to crush for the first time and it turns out that the dolly pot is not as romantic as the old books suggest. Would love a pic of the internals at the chain and sieve end. Gotta be cheaper than the chiro. Panning is a new art that eludes me at the moment too. Long live big clean nuggets.
Cheers.
Mick

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Mon 22 Jun 2015, 9:49 pm

hi Mick, i will take it apart tomorrow and take some pics, i didnt put in a sieve just put it through some flywire after grinding and anything that doesnt get through goes back in the next run. panning isnt too difficult with a bit of practice just put some dish washing liquid in the water and start off with not too much in the pan, when i first did it i followed a you tube vid on panning, gold will sink to the bottom after a good agitation and agitate on an angle with the ripples down so they catch any gold and take it slow once you get down to the last centimeter of concentrates. getting the black sand out can be tricky but i found if you put a good rare earth magnet underneath the pan you can pull most of it out. the last bit i use the smooth side and gently wash out any last bits then swirl a tiny bit of water up and down over the final bit leaving the gold behind, i use a gold sucker to get the fines out. hope this helps

Cheers
martin
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mingo Tue 23 Jun 2015, 7:04 am

cheers Martin, I managed to pan out what I had crushed and sieved and got a tiny grain of gold but the fine powdered stuff is getting away, if it's there of course. Will try again with a drop of detergent and the magnet.
Mick

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Wed 22 Jul 2015, 8:44 pm

Hi Martin, what a great idea. I have fair bit of stone that I would like to process and that looks like a lot easier way of doing it than the old dolly pot! Have you had a chance to take a photo or two of the internals? I would love to have a crack at making one.

Cheers
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Fri 24 Jul 2015, 5:59 pm

been away for a week stingray but i will get around to it soon, sorry buddy.
so far NO gold fellas. Sad

and after re digging the hole no further noise in it so ive left it and will do more crushing and panning of what ive got. wegr
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sat 25 Jul 2015, 9:03 am

I often look at those hotrocks thinking that there may be something inside but one smack with the pick and. I figure they are too hard. I like the rotor idea.
Moneybox
Moneybox

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Sun 26 Jul 2015, 7:44 pm

Would be interested in the workings of this rock crusher Martin. Picks would be nice when you get the time.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sun 26 Jul 2015, 8:33 pm

sorry for the delays guys, here are the pics. dont look at the cocky shyte welding, i only had a stick welder with wet rods so did the best i could.

home made rock crusher 20150710

home made rock crusher 20150711

home made rock crusher 20150712

home made rock crusher 20150713

home made rock crusher Back10

home made rock crusher Bearin10

home made rock crusher Chain10

home made rock crusher Shoot10

cheers
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sun 26 Jul 2015, 8:36 pm

for the centre bearing i just used an old socket with a 10 mm hole through it and for the spindle a piece of 10mm all thread with locknuts and washers to bolt it all together.
cheers
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sun 26 Jul 2015, 9:48 pm

martinjsto wrote:for the centre bearing i just used an old socket with a 10 mm hole through it and for the spindle a piece of 10mm all thread with locknuts and washers to bolt it all together.
cheers

At least you have it working. It looks like a good basis for a series-2 including a few refinements.
Moneybox
Moneybox

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Tue 28 Jul 2015, 12:07 am

Thanks Martin, they are a great help. I've got a mate who is keen to have a crack at it and best of all he can weld and has time so we'll see what happens.

Cheers
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Tue 28 Jul 2015, 9:13 am

yep Phil, the next one will be made with a screen and a collector so its a continuous flow design.
pretty basic stingray but works a treat and sure beats a dolly pot.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum