Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brute Prospectors Super Food for the Pilbara summer

+2
norwest gold
Banjo
6 posters

Go down

Brute Prospectors Super Food for the Pilbara summer Empty Brute Prospectors Super Food for the Pilbara summer

Post by Banjo Tue 24 Feb 2015, 11:10 am

I was talking to a mate yesterday about summer detecting and dehydration, i have a camelbak but i sweat real bad so i try to avoid using it and carry a bottle of water instead but as most would know if you are thirsty the onset of dehydration has already begun.

Iv'e come home from some real hot day's out there with my detecting mate Nosralt with a headache, he only get's ear aches but that's another story Laughing
So as well as keeping the water up iv'e started taking a bottle of Powerade or Gatorade to sip on, food wise we don't usually eat too much but lately iv'e been taking some banana's with me, no real reason, just convenience and had no muesli bars BUT after talking to my mate yesterday it seems i was unknowingly on the right track because he pointed out that banana's are the best food to be eating in these circumstances so i just did a little research and yep i will be eating banana's from now on.

https://getaligned.wordpress.com/2012/06/15/eat-this-daily-for-proper-hydration/

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Brute Prospectors Super Food for the Pilbara summer Empty Re: Brute Prospectors Super Food for the Pilbara summer

Post by norwest gold Tue 24 Feb 2015, 11:26 am

I always keep half a dozen powerades with me in the esky and the rest 600ml bottles of water in summer Ialways try to walk with a water bottle in hand and I keep 2 x in my back pack in stubby holders to keep relatively cool I used to drink soft drink and beer but found I would feel average when i got home. I don't eat Bannas but I do keep a couple weeks worth of tin food in the draws of my car for emergancys and I always take lunch too, always helps to be prepared.
Mick

norwest gold

Back to top Go down

Brute Prospectors Super Food for the Pilbara summer Empty Re: Brute Prospectors Super Food for the Pilbara summer

Post by mulgadansa Tue 24 Feb 2015, 12:11 pm

When it's a bit warmer out tecting I have been having a couple of cups of Staminade at lunchtime. Used to have a soft drink to try and get the energy levels up but I reckon the Staminade works better.
I used to carry the Camelback but found the water tasted like crap (plasticky), so now I just carry a stainless steel bottle in my backpack.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Tue 24 Feb 2015, 1:39 pm

Banjo

working in those temps that you are just got to keep smashing the fluids mate 1+ litre per hour, water is as good as anything

cheers Tom
Flying kiwi
Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 24 Feb 2015, 9:33 pm

mm staminade is better , the others don't contain magnesium which you need for cramps ... us ol drunks know this.albo
are I just read mulgadancers post , hes right.

Last edited by albo on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : re read posts better)
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Mc Tue 24 Feb 2015, 9:45 pm

Just don't take take those bananas fishing! Well not in QLD anyway so they say :)

The potassium is also good to prevent cramps but I generally just supplement the large amounts of water with large amount s of beer and some extra garlic salt on the scotch fillet sandwiches. Very Happy For summer if I'm going for a walk its 3 litres in the back pack, some frozen if possible as it's not much fun drinking 50c + water when you need it most.

Gary Mc

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 24 Feb 2015, 10:10 pm

same in here in wa gary mc, no nannas on boats mate , only backpackers ,preferably irish , german ,pom, even scot , round 25 years .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Feb 2015, 5:04 am

I will have a banana for breakfast but don't take them bush unless I plan to eat them on the trip up, they don't travel well and I have found apples are better anyway, always take a big bag of apples as they are great hunger busters and if you like to snack when driving they are the way to go and you can toss the core into the bush.

I agree that staminade is the best additive for your water for re hydration, started using it back in the eighties when in the army and always took some out bush on exercises, also used it to rehydrate after pt and cross country running, and as mentioned I found it an excellent way to bring yourself up to speed after a big night on the drunken

Stainless steel water bottles are good and remain cooler for longer than plastic bottles and have no aftertaste, also if you can taste anything it means that something's leaching out of the plastic so that cant be too good for you, I use one of those drink cooler pouches on my belt, and even though I carry that always I also carry a couple of litres more on the bike, it does not matter if it tastes average if you are in a bad situation as it will keep you alive I guess.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum