Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rescue Gear

4 posters

Go down

Rescue Gear Empty Rescue Gear

Post by Bignuggs Tue 27 Jan 2015, 7:09 pm

I'm tossing up whether to just have a snatch strap or just carry a length of chain.  I've also got some old wire cable caravan tie downs from my Karratha days.  Can't remember the exact size of the cable but it's thick, like me   Very Happy  no cheeky comments on that thanks  lol!
Seems to me a chain will last longer but it's the weight ya carry factor I guess.
What's about the life span of a snatch strap ?

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Rescue Gear Empty Re: Rescue Gear

Post by martinjsto Tue 27 Jan 2015, 8:15 pm

a snatch strap is a better option for being bogged in sand it allows for stretch and kinda uses the recoils to get the bogged vehicle out, a chain you would use if your stuck in mud and winching or need skull dragging out or towing of course although rope is prefered for towing IMO as it will snap off if the towed vehicle rolls. you have to be careful of snatching with a chain or wire rope as if they break then they kill, plus they rip the front end off your car if not careful. affraid

I have both in the car, 2 snatch straps and a 9 mt chain, plus a winch fitted to the front and 90mt climbing rope. i have used all of them at one time with a mate stuck in mud out bullfinch way. had to winch from 80 mts away closes i could get and had to use my climbing rope doubled up too Rescue Gear 729094268 . got the car out ok but broke a snatch strap with the trailer, he replaced it so all good and safe and he was dry again cheers

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Tue 27 Jan 2015, 11:18 pm

If the snatch strap is kept clean and dry they last for many years. I've seen them broken but when really old and ragged and being seriously abused. Sandra used the Subaru Forester to pull me out of a bog. I was on the 2.6T Toyota Skid Steer (bobcat).

The only time a chain is better is when you need to extend your winch rope. It's quite useless to tow with because it has no give and usually ends up breaking something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Detectist Wed 28 Jan 2015, 1:21 am

If the wire cable breaks it will scythe. That's why you see people with dampeners (eg blanket/s or those ARB orange things) over a cable when being used (two if it is a long cable) eg with a winch. A chain is more likely to fall to the ground if it breaks. A chain is useful for pulling logs off tracks. A snatchem strap is useful to really build up the tension to pull a vehicle out of a bog (and if you have room to do so). Both a chain and snatchem strap can be used to slowly increase tension too. Never take off at speed with a chain attached - slowly increase tension then slowly pull away.
Becareful where you attach these things. Never use the towball. Should only use rated recovery points ie attached to the chassis and make sure it is not just a simple vehicle tie down point.

Detectist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 28 Jan 2015, 4:37 pm

Had my doubts about the wire cable but it did hold the caravan down. They are still hanging in the garage if someone wants them.
Snatch strap yes and prob carry some chain.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum