Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fire Extinguishers

5 posters

Go down

Fire Extinguishers Empty Fire Extinguishers

Post by Bignuggs Mon 26 Jan 2015, 10:22 am

Probably a dumb question but who carries a fire extinguisher in their 4x4 and what type do you recommend for diesel vehicles.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Fire Extinguishers Empty Re: Fire Extinguishers

Post by Nightjar Tue 27 Jan 2015, 6:30 am

Dry powder extinguishers, identified red with white stripe are universal for a range of fires. These contain sodium bicarbonate under pressure which acts to cool and extinguish the flames. CO2 is given off when it is heated which also slows burning.
Also a couple of fire blankets could be handy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Detectist Tue 27 Jan 2015, 2:47 pm

Think about size of extinguisher too. I've heard that a 1kg can be used up very quickly. I had a 1kg but then bought a 2kg.
Also, I've been advised to carry a garden sprayer (mine is 5l) with water in it for underbody spinifex fires. I also carry a hook to clear out any debris that may collect underbody near the hot bits. Other advantage of the sprayer is to leave it in the sun and you have hot water for a "shower".

Detectist

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Tue 27 Jan 2015, 9:10 pm

As Detectist has eluded to the 1kg ones are bordering on useless and may leave you short in a crisis, for this reason bigger is better, oh and one thing i was told is to make sure you give them a bit of a shake rattle and roll now and then because the powder can settle/cake in the bottom and may let you down.
Good tip on the garden sprayer.

Banjo

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Sun 23 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm

All good advise, one thing I will mention tho, dont put the thing in the cab. I had a mate that was unfortunate enough to have a rollover he would have wallked away with just a few scratches but the extinguisher come out of the mounting bracket and got lodged (the handle) in him just below the collor bone and knocked him unconcious. Thankfully near by mine site paramedics were able to tidy him up enought to get him to hospital. He was in a bad way from it all. Probly goes for anything in the cab.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down